Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 8th, 2010, 12:32 PM

Calgary Indoor Dog Park

Hey all... I am planning on opening an indoor dog park in Calgary and would like your input/feedback.

Do you feel that there is a need for this ?
( Because here, it gets as cold as -40, raining, snowing, just plain ****ty out ) So you probably don't want to stand outside, but Rover needs to run still.

How much would you be willing to pay for this facility? Daily, weekly, monthly, yearly?

Would you use it as day care as well if that was offered??

The facility itself would include an Astroturf type material, basically, its synthetic grass. One side of the building is a giant dog run area... huge, all grass, so dogs can really get in the run they need. The other half of the building is the feeding/sleeping/toys area if you're in for day care.

All these dogs can mingle together at anytime. ( I do not believe they should be separated as most Calgary locations do ) Day care (6am to 6 pm) is by reservation but "drop in runs" are avail from 6am to 10pm.

To those who wonder if the **** pick up is included: For sure !! You are still responsible for your dogs behaviour, but ya, I'll clean up the **** if you're paying the fee.

To those who think you can do the same on the sidewalk/park :
Do you seriously want to bundle yourself up and stand/walk in the -30/40 degree weather we can have in our winters? Does your dog even enjoy that when their paws are freezing so they do that funny switching paw dance. And if it's pissing rain? You can't tell me you love being out there in that weather. Neither does Spot.

I have researched a lot of facilities in Calgary and frankly - there is nothing like what I am thinking. There are lots of places that do daycare/boarding/grooming - but that isn't what I'm going for.

My idea is that you would pay a flat fee for day care monthly, and a monthly or yearly fee for drop in.

To those that are concerned with people not driving to the park - you would be surprised. I, and many other dog owners, would drive about 15 - 20 minutes away to get to a park if it meant that I was dry and warm and my dog was happy and tired.

I would ask for vet records, and your dog must be spayed/neutered and be up to date of course.

As my idea pans out, no I will not have boarding and grooming, but if this grows as I hope it will then of course, I would begin those services

Lastly, I would like to locate it along the West LRT expansion. I have not decided where yet, but I know the train line will be very convenient for many people : )

I hope that clears things up, sorry for such a long post !! Thank you for your feedback !
Old June 8th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Senior Contributor

What about adding a large inground doggie pool/beach? I would definately pay for this priviledge.

I like your concept and I for one would not go for the doggie daycare but I would drop by after work for sure.
Old June 8th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Sounds great!

You might want to check out or get in touch with "SuperDog Central" here in Ontario (Bowmanville) - they have a sort of similar facility (but have outdoor space too). I've heard of others as well but SuperDog seems to be well regarded, i've never been personally, but have heard good things from a rescue I know.

Calgary sure seems to have the doggy population to support such a venture. Doggy day cares are packed from what i've heard.

Good luck
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:48 PM

omg we spend our whole winter wishing someone would do what you are doing...only in Edmonton! I sure hope it works out for you, and the furry ones.
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:57 PM

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE this! My poor boy has been going crazy with all this crappy wet weather. PLEASE get this going and keep us posted!!
Old July 7th, 2010, 12:32 PM

more info on indoor dog park

hi tamandram!
I work for cbc radio and I'd love to talk to you more about your indoor dog park idea. Can you email me your contact info? I'm at:

Thanks!
Danielle

Last edited by Blackbear; July 7th, 2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Edited out personal email...OP, pls PM info if desired
Old July 7th, 2010, 11:07 PM

I think this is a great idea for the city & you'd probablly do really well! We actually live 1/2 hour East of the city, but I'd come in for something like this, especially on the weekends & when it's too cold to go out!!
I strongly second the vote to include some type of doggy swimming area!!
Old October 29th, 2010, 02:08 PM

dog park in Calgary

I would definitely use your park in the winter, not really in the summer.
Old October 29th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Im in Calgary, and have used many daycares and off leash parks here.

As for a park that I could bring my pet too, and run her and stay with her, I might use that as long as the other users were respectful and could control their pooches!! It would have to be sanitary and maintained.

This is just my experience with daycares here in Calgary...

I use to use daycare alot but I found it very expensive ($27 a day!) and Dazy got sick way too often, and her behavior become agressive due to lack of supervision and control by staff. I dont agree with all dogs being together, they should be seperated by size and the way they play, 2 wrestling goldens could really hurt smaller dogs! 2 labs chasing tennis balls could easily run over other dogs. I also think staff needs to be trained on behavior and signs of agression, this aspect is seriously lacking at the daycares here, altho there are "trainers" they are not trained in resource guarding, pack metality, how to react in situations etc... I think in alot of cases the intentions are great, they love dogs, they want to exercise your dog..but putting 20+ dogs in a room without being trained is a disaster waiting to happen. At one point there were 2 staff and 40 dogs, that is unacceptable. The ones Ive used ask for vet records when you first fill out the forms but didnt ask again for yearly renewal proof, we were never informed when something was going around. Dazy got so many eye infections, kennel cough, viral infections, and her behavior became aggressive from being at daycare in an uncontrolled situation. Even after she became agressive, thye never told me about her bahavior until i witnessed it myself, then I pulled her, the response I got was "ya, she's always like that". This is all just my experience. I do love that there are places to go with your dog, they need to burn off energy thats for sure! When I got preggers and went on mat leave she stopped going to daycare, she was not sick once after that!

I love that Calgary is a very dog friendly place. Personally, I trained my dog to walk on a treadmill during the winter, and I get my butt to the off leash area as often as possible - good for both of us, this is the only way I can ensure my dog is healthy and happy. Ive used the resort with the pool before, and that was awesome, she swam for 2 hours straight! The weather here isnt all that bad, the cold crappy stretches are 1-3 days at a time, and Ive never seen it -40 but it does get cold. I also own a big dog, that doesnt mind bad weather...so its never really been an issue for us.

My post isnt meant to discourage you in any way or argue whether doggie daycare is good or bad, there is just alot of things to think about when you decide to be responsible for other peoples pets. (for the daycare aspect of your question)

I think your intentions are great, your enthusiams really shows, I wish you all the best!! This really is the city for such a place! Good luck!

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)

Last edited by Ford Girl; October 29th, 2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old October 30th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

There's a place in Saskatoon you may want to take a day and go have a look at it or check their website. www.dogsontrack.com I think is their site. If I move to Saskatoon in the next while you can bet I'm going to check it out. I know there's a place in Regina too but don't know the name of it.

Certainly a great idea for people and their dogs living on the Prairies!!