Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old April 7th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Hooray, a gardening forum too!

I haven't read much in this forum yet but am pleased to see there are some who love roses. They're my latest addiction(following horses and dogs). My first post here is about a photo taken last Spring, Silk stopping to smell the petunias(not roses). Strange thing is that the only two shelties who do this are Silk and her daughter, Sugar.
Attached Images

Old April 7th, 2010, 09:00 PM
You can call me DOG!

Oh GOODIE! Another Rose lover.

You know you're children are all grown up when you plant a rose garden...in alphabetical order!

I have a rose garden in a A to Z format (with exception to an X). My metal markers only show a letter and not the name of any particular rose.

Looking forward to some summer rose pictures!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm hoping for an Autumn(i.e. Fall) flush before they go dormant, klm. I will admit to being impatient. I think they should be bigger and more robust, but they were only put in last year and were tiny then, so in reality a lot are going fine. I've yet to find out which aren't suited to this area, and which just aren't strong enough to cope. I have about 120 I suppose. Apart from my mail orders I tend to not be able to bypass nurseries if I think they may have roses left, even out of season. LOL. Bearded Iris are another passion, and I love the tall spires in a garden, like delphiniums, larkspurs, hollyhocks etc.. The rose here is Abracadabra and the Bearded Iris is Raspberry Fudge.
Attached Images

Old April 8th, 2010, 01:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They're gorgeous, Goldfields!

I've learned over the years that no roses are suitable for hazel's yard. Her thumb is green, but it's a mold that makes it that way Roses don't survive here...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 8th, 2010, 01:32 PM
banned user

What a gorgeous rose! Must have one of those.....your seasons are completely opposite to ours aren't they?
Old April 8th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Goldfields, I had that same rose in my garden last year, I hope it survives and blooms again this year. It seems every year one or two don't make it through the winter and need to be replaced. It seems odd with you talking about your fall garden as we are heading into spring. I had to think about that for a wee moment! Beautiful flowers. I love the pups taking time to smell the flowers.
Old April 8th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I love that red and white rose!! Wow! Your flowers are gorgeous!

We are having another snow storm right now! *ugh* It will be a long while before I have flowers in my garden.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old April 8th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

TQ,oh nooo no more snow!!
I am a bit of a Rose-nut too,but nothing as fancy as the one in the pic,just beautiful!!
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel wrote ....
I've learned over the years that no roses are suitable for hazel's yard. Her thumb is green, but it's a mold that makes it that way Roses don't survive here...
Very funny, Hazel . At certain times of the year, when it's wet obviously, we get moss, but you know, when I posted those photo's I did spare a thought for how hard it must be to garden where you all are. Here it is a temperate zone, bordering on semi arid seeing we only have a 16 inch average annual rainfall. It is so hot and dry in Summer that I never bother to plan a Summer garden. I start planting now for a Spring garden, propogating seeds I mean, but how can you have an early Spring garden in Canada?
Shirley 1011, yes, we've the opposite seasons to you so for me it's always nice writing to people in cold countries. I can be nearly melting in the heat here and your snow photo's are so welcome. Glad you like Abracadabra. Dog Dancer, funny you should say that about roses not making it through your Winter, ours sometimes don't make it through our Summer. May have lost 3 or 4, but a couple were small own rooted roses. Old fashioned roses according to my sister that may not be strong and should do better if grafted onto rootstock.
Chico and Tundra Queen, can you believe that when I started growing roses I didn't like striped roses. (What!!??) LOL. Don't know which one changed my mind but I've a few now and have one heading my wish list, a superb one called Purple Tiger. I will share a photo a friend took of hers. The other I grew and I think it's Alfred Sisley, a Delbard rose.
Attached Images

Old April 8th, 2010, 10:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, very pretty!!!

Around here, temperate zone 3, spring gardens are usually bulbs--tulips, crocuses, and other hardy spring bulbs. Once the danger of frost is over, we can grow all spring, all summer and well into autumn. First frost sometimes holds off till November.

I've found that my luck is better with the natives...so I'm slowly switching most of my gardens over to native wildflowers and grasses. And, of course, living out in a rural township, I have lots of wildflowers to look at even if my gardens succumb to my moldy thumb.

Some of the other members on the board sent me some seed from their gardens and I'm that I can get some flowers started from them. I can't sow them till mid-May at the earliest, though (average last frost is May 31). And it's embarrassing how poorly I do at getting seeds started. Last year I started them early, inside, in peat pots and special soil and had abysmal germination and survival rates. So this year I'm going to try direct sowing

This year's other project is going to be a native shade garden. Not sure if I'll have the bed prepared in time for a spring planting--but I'm hoping to have it planted by fall!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Last edited by hazelrunpack; April 8th, 2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Senior Contributor

That's interesting , Hazel, your first frost can hold off till November, whereas it's a rule of thumb here that you don't plant tomatoes till Melbourne Cup Day, the first Tuesday in November, to avoid the last of our frosts. I just took a look at the Zones in my Botanica(of 10,000 garden plants) and see that there would not be many roses at all that could thrive in Canada's climate. That's sad, but shows it's not your fault if you can't grow them, it's your climate.
Hey, I'm getting back into bulbs too. I've always had daffodils, Spanish bluebells, grape hyacinths, red nerines etc., but this year I have 3 different lachenalias, , 3 different grape hyacinths(pale blue, white, and one that is sort of maroon on the bottom and lavender above), Dutch Iris, pink nerines, babiana, crocuses etc.. I don't have a lot of luck with things like Tulips and Dutch Hyacinths but maybe because I've never put the effort into looking after them properly. I've started a collection of Hippeastrums, and also had some different types of lilies given to me by a friend in Queensland. Love it when I'm growing something for the first time. Another love is poppies, all sorts of poppies.
I'm on garden forums and people keep feeding my addictions. Like I mentioned that I'd had 40 different types of heritage tomatoes in this season, but wouldn't do that again unless I had a different 40 to try, and lo and behold, the woman who gave me the lilies emailed this morning to say she had 19 different lots of seed to start off the next lot of 40. I was thinking maybe a rest next year but looks like it won't happen. LOL.
Incidentally, I always have more luck germinating things in my little mini hothouses than by direct sowing them. All I have in them right now is Shirley and Iceland poppies, but I have the seed raising mix and just have to find the enthusiasm to plant more seeds now.
Attached Images

Old April 9th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Goldfields,Actually I think at least where I live in Canada,we have perfect gardening-weather,summers can get very hot and humid,it all depends where in Canada you live,just like in Australia.
Here in southern Ontario,spring started early this year,my Magnolia-tree has hundreds of buds,hopefully they'll survive a little cold-snap we have right now.
If you look at some of the pics in here in the gardening Forum,you'll see our gardens do great
Old April 9th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

chico2, the question was how can you have an early Spring garden ....when you have such cold winters? I imagine your Summer would be fine for gardening, ours is just too hot. What does it get to there? Here it can be 40C + on the worst days, and on Black Saturday(catastrophic fires in Feb 09) here it was 47C. Anyway, we'd had 13 years of severe drought prior to that, then a good Spring, then the fires. We were having to cart water from town to our stock because the ordinarily channel filled dams were not able to be filled, this was to keep us going till the Wimmera-Mallee pipeline reached us. It did in December but we still haven't linked to it properly and we are on restrictions anyway, so gardening here is pretty hard, and impossible in Summer. So, I envy you those lush green lawns and all the perennials you grow. Very nice indeed, but I concentrate mainly on Spring flowering annuals. My sister, who has a couple of acres 200 mile away, with a much older garden than mine, has everything, and hundreds of roses. She grows a lot of plants for me to get this garden going, I'll admit I did next to no gardening anyway back when I was showing dogs so I appreciate her help. I had enough on my hands showing 5 or 6 dogs . She's into obedience and tracking with her dogs and very good at it, but also finds time for this garden, below, also sculpting and painting. She did a fabulous portrait of my favorite cattle dog. Won't get another painting out of her this year though, she is going to start tracking again. Her hubby is more able to help her than mine is, but good luck to them.
Attached Images

Old April 9th, 2010, 01:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
That's interesting , Hazel, your first frost can hold off till November, whereas it's a rule of thumb here that you don't plant tomatoes till Melbourne Cup Day, the first Tuesday in November, to avoid the last of our frosts. I just took a look at the Zones in my Botanica(of 10,000 garden plants) and see that there would not be many roses at all that could thrive in Canada's climate. That's sad, but shows it's not your fault if you can't grow them, it's your climate.
I'm not in Canada, so I couldn't use that excuse even if it was valid. I just don't get along with roses. I think it's genetic--Mom didn't have much luck, either.

Early spring gardens are mostly just bulbs around here, but we make up for it with summer and autumn flowers. Mid-spring through November are very colorful! It all hinges on using plants that are suited to the climate--probably one of the reasons my natives do so well compared to my nursery plants. A lot of tender plants will grow here, too, as long as you bring them in for the winter. For instance, I have 4 planters of impatiens that are between 2 and 5 years of age--I just cut them down, put them in a sunny window and water them once a week during winter. By spring they need another trim, and I hang them out when it's going to be above freezing at night. They just keep going and going and going, much to hazel's surprise.

Old April 9th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Goldfield,We have Tulips,Daffodils,Crocuses coming up in the spring,once you plant the bulbs they bloom every spring,right now the leafs are all I see,but thee are buds in there.
Your sisters garden is beautiful
We can reach +30C here in the summer,but we also usually always get a nice summer-rain or thunderstorm.
Every time I see fires in Australia I think of all the animals that perish
Old April 9th, 2010, 06:32 PM
You can call me DOG!

Those are all beautiful pictures Goldfield.

I figured out how to attach a synopsis of my Alpha-BED Rose Garden. It's been a work in progress for over 13 years but I think I got it the way I envisioned. All of the pictures of the roses correspond to their names and when I need to replace one, I just look at the letter of the alphabet rather than colour.

Name:  Rose Garden.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  84.3 KB

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Senior Contributor

That'll teach me to look at where people are from, Hazel. If it's genetic, my love of gardening comes from my grandfather who was the first curator of the park in my home town(now a City), he was a market gardener also, using two blocks behind his home for the vegies, plus his own house block was sheer magic, a really old style cottage garden. He was 88 when he passed away maybe 55 years ago. Where I just have boxes containing seed packets today, he had an entire room full, stored in cupboards. I really wish he was here today. You are lucky having such a long period for your gardens to bloom, we can't have that here. Our storages got down to 8% capacity, so until they fill I reckon people will still be water-wise.
Chico2, it was my sister bringing me up bunches of her huge roses that got me interested in growing them. I thought though that I'd never be that good. However much to my surprise, certain roses like Apricot Nectar , Golden Celebration, and Just Joey are already showing what they can do. It's wonderful.
Yes, the bushfires down here cause a lot of livestock and wildlife deaths, and with this last one, a lot of human deaths. So many fires started by arsonists too. A friend of ours was lucky to escape with her life, she had to drive out through flames and lost everything, house and contents, fencing on their 65 acres etc.. Fortunately her 2 horses got through a fence , down onto a salt pan where they were safe. She had no warning at all!
klm, I'm going to look up the roses you've planted, I don't know all of them. TTYL about them.
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:22 PM
You can call me DOG!

Sure no problem Goldfields. I also have 10 climbers not mentioned. They date back to 1980's. One of them (I think named Blaze), I proprogated it and made 3 new climbers from the mother although Casablanca (climber) is my favorite.

Old April 9th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Senior Contributor

You've got some wonderful roses there, klm. I couldn't read a couple, the D name and the Z name, and I couldn't find a couple, J A MacDonald and Polar Storm. Seems so far that they might all be HT's , most with good fragrance, a lot are Kordes roses - are they standards or bush? In that list I only have Valencia. I am very taken with Yorkshire Bank but don't think it is available here. Chicago Peace is already on my wish list. That rose bed must be magnificent when they bloom.
Old April 10th, 2010, 02:15 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
You've got some wonderful roses there, klm. I couldn't read a couple, the D name and the Z name, and I couldn't find a couple, J A MacDonald and Polar Storm (klm says; Polar Stern). Seems so far that they might all be HT's , most with good fragrance, a lot are Kordes roses - are they standards or bush? In that list I only have Valencia. I am very taken with Yorkshire Bank but don't think it is available here. Chicago Peace is already on my wish list. That rose bed must be magnificent when they bloom.
The D is Die Welt and the Z is Zitronenjette. Your right and the majority of them are hybrid teas. Kordes has introduced a new "Fairy Tale" rose that is suppose to be for the enviromentally conscious and/or time constricted rose lover so my Queen of Hearts is a Fairy Tale and is absolutely a beautiful double colored rose.

J A MacDonald is a stunning HT too. Stands for Sir John A MacDonald and produces at least flushes during the summer/fall.

????? Do you put mulch (bark) on your roses? I never have in the past and am thinking of doing it this spring to hold back on all the weeds! If you do, what kind of chips/bark would you suggest?

Old April 11th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
The D is Die Welt and the Z is Zitronenjette. Your right and the majority of them are hybrid teas. Kordes has introduced a new "Fairy Tale" rose that is suppose to be for the enviromentally conscious and/or time constricted rose lover so my Queen of Hearts is a Fairy Tale and is absolutely a beautiful double colored rose.

J A MacDonald is a stunning HT too. Stands for Sir John A MacDonald and produces at least flushes during the summer/fall.

????? Do you put mulch (bark) on your roses? I never have in the past and am thinking of doing it this spring to hold back on all the weeds! If you do, what kind of chips/bark would you suggest?

Die Welt I found is the German name for that rose, it's English name is The World. Another that is not available here. I found Zitronenjette as well, n/a here but very nice.

Just wondering if I could do the alphabet with mine....
Angel Face, Afternoon Delight, Abracadabra, Apricot Nectar, Alfred Sisley, Ashram
Belle Story, Bonica, Belle Isis, Burgundy Iceberg ,Belle Poitevine, Best Friend, Brother Cadfael
Cabana,Clair Rose, Charles Rennie McIntosh, Chaucer, Crocus Rose, Camille Pissaro, Crepescule, Charlotte, Carabella
Double Delight, Dainty Bess, Dr Huey
E.......I haven't got an E name. Maybe my sister will bring up an Elina for me.
Freesia, First Love, Fisherman's Friend, French Lace
Gold Bunny,Ghislande de Feligunde, Graham Thomas, Grace, General Schabilkine, Glamis Castle, Gertrude Jekyll, Golden Jubilee, Golden Celebration
Heritage, Happy Child
Iceberg, Iced Ginger
Just Joey, John Clare , Julias Rose, Jubilee Celebration
Kardinal
Lamarque, Lilac Rose,Lady Mary Fitzwilliam, La Sevillana, Lili Marlene, Lavender Pinnochio
Mary Rose,Maggie,Mme Antoine Mari, Makybe Diva, Mrs B R Cant, Mr Lincoln
New Duet
Octavius Weld, Our Vanilla
Peter Frankenfeld, Papa Meilland, Paul Bocuse, Pascali, Pegasus, Pierre De Ronsard, Pride of Venus, Peace, Paul Neyron
Queen Elizabeth
Reine Des Violettes, Rosette Delizzy, Royal Bassino, Roseraie De La Haye
Shot Silk, Sharifa Asma, Seduction, Sutters Gold, Souvenir De Un Ami, St Patrick, Salero, Sun Blessed, Summer Snow, Shady Lady
Tamora, The Children's Rose, Twilight Mist, Taboo, Tropical Sunset, Tutu Mauve, Tradescent
U ..... no U name either.
Valencia, Virgo
Womans Day, White Wings , Windchester Cathedral , William Shakespeare2000
X .... you're joking.
Yellow Charles Austin
Zepherine Drouhin

I have a number of roses that lost their tags, so my sister will have to help ID them when she comes up, and some repeats of the tough ones, like the David Austin, Mary Rose. They are all sorts anyway, floribundas, hybrid teas, noisettes, hybrid perpetuals, Bourbons, Rugosas, Teas, old garden roses , with a lot of David Austin as well.
Klm, you'll never regret mulching the roses, it saves so much work. I did ours with pea straw because in a crop growing area that's available. My sister uses some sort of bark chips so I'll ask her what it is for you. We put down some sheets of newspaper first, then mulch over that.
I might have roses missing from this list. I have some potted and hardening up before planting and I don't think their names got into my book seeing I just remembered Our Vanilla wasn't in my book, also French Lace, or Ashram. Or Carabella. What else might be there ? I'll have to look, but you can bet it won't be any with an E, U or X name. Hey, your alphabet bed must be a long one? Do you have a photo of it in bloom ?
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:46 PM
You can call me DOG!

So you don't have any Uncle Joey's available for a U? X is defininately not in the picture for me either and you have quite a list already-WOW!

My bed is roughly around 5 feet wide by 50 feet long. I think I may have a couple snaps from last year, but I'll have to check my photo cds. Nothing right now as their all just starting to get their spring time buds on.

That would be great for the bark chip recommendation--thanks Goldfields.

Old April 12th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Senior Contributor

50 feet, and 5 feet wide - wow! That would look wonderful with all your different colours. I'm not going to be much help re the wood chips as Barb uses Red Gum chips, but surely nursery people there would know what to suggest?

Last year Treloars had a rose named Ultimate Pink (for a U name) but it isn't available this year. Another nursery has Ulrich Brunner .....Hybrid Perpetual. Deep pink. Strong fragrance. Large, very full (41+ petals), cupped bloom form. Blooms in flushes throughout the season. I like the sound of that.

Ekstase looks great for E, it's a beautiful red, strongly fragrant. I will try and get Elina going again but I think I've failed with her once or twice already. Such a shame as that one is a beauty. Of course there's always the beautiful Eglantyne, a pale soft pink David Austin rose.

Why can't they name one Xtasy for us?