Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 7th, 2004, 04:48 PM

Question Weening Puppy off Wee Wee Pads

Hi!

Question: I got my Dachshund when she was 2 months old. At that time I couldn't take her out for walks because she didnt have her vaccinations...so I trained her to go on Wee Wee pads.

NOW, she has all her vaccinations and is 4 1/2 months old and refuses to go to the bathroom outside. I walk her for 40 min. (at times longer) and she has yet to pee or poo outside. I am not home during working hours so when i come home she has already gone on either the Wee Wee pad or the RUG . Don't know what to do. How can I ween her off going in the house and have her start seeing the outdoors as the bathroom. Any advise would be apreciated. THANKS!
Old January 7th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Take a soiled pad out with you and put it where you want her to go. Then when she goes, praise her. As she uses it more outside, you should be able to go out without it.
Old January 7th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

LavR You're a smart cookie
Old January 7th, 2004, 05:21 PM

The problem is we live in the city...So i can take a soiled Wee Wee pad out with me...but when do I place it down for her.

I tried this by the way, but now a soiled pad and placed it on the floor every 30 feet or so and no results.
Old January 7th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you considered litter box training her?
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:05 PM

I think it's important for a dog to get out and get some air every day. Besides, the thought of a dog defecating in the house (in this case its an apartment) isn't appealing.
Old January 7th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Wee pads and paper training are very confusing for dogs. First it's o.k. to go in the house,then it isn't .

If you aren't home all day, she certainly can't hold it, so she must use the weewee pads. Then you come home and expect her to go outside, when she thinks she's supposed to go inside.

If you want her to go outside only, you need confine her with no wee pads or paper during the day and have someone come in and take her out. There really is no other way, as she is too young to wait all day.
Old January 8th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Senior Contributor

You say yo live in the city.Are you in a house or apt?If in a house,just take the soiled pee pad and put it in your backyard.As for peeing on the carpet,make sure you disifect it or else she will continue to pee there.Or what you can do,and I have heard this from some people.Get some soil/grass.Get a square box.Wood if you can.Or a cat box.Cut the front.Put the soil/grass in it.After a while after she has eaten and drank,take her to it.Let her sniff around.If she goes pee or poo,praise her like crazy.It's almost like bringing the outdoors indoors.And what you can also do is,take a soaked pad that she has peed on and rub it on the grass.This is just an idea.And if you are at work all day,there is no way she can hold it in all day.Remember,she is a baby.And ALWAYS praise.She must be taught.Can you confine her to one area?Especially when you are at work.Like L.R said,is there someone who can come take her out?
Old January 22nd, 2004, 04:35 AM
Chocolate

teach her a command when she is to go wee-wee. (lol)

I would also get a crate and get her crate trained.

that thing works wonders!!!

AND be strict, mommy... well, perhaps stubborn is more like it.

she needs to learn from you!