Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old October 10th, 2008, 08:24 AM

Labs and their voracious appetite

Ozzy is a lab/cocker spaniel but he has a lot of lab traits. For one, he wolfs down his food in seconds!

Right now, we're hand-feeding him - we make him sit or down in between each handful of food we give him. Hand-feeding is supposed to establish leadership position.

I've noticed that in between handfuls - Ozzy sits anxiously waiting the next handful and his mouth/jaws do this interesting quivering. It's like a non-stop vibration, like when you're cold and your teeth chatter! It's the oddest thing.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their dogs?
Old October 11th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Live well, laugh often

It's usually just huge piles of drool with our labs . I have one lab that is food obsessed and the other has a healthy appetite but is not obsessed .

You can try putting a kong in his bowl to try to slow down the eating.
Old October 11th, 2008, 10:27 PM
-

I second the kong (or tennis ball, etc.) in the food bowl

It's the only thing that worked for our lab. Never could figure out why he didn't take it out before he started eating but it's always the last thing to remain in his dish.

If that doesn't work, try spreading his kibble out in a large cookie pan so he can't inhale so fast.

Good luck.
Old October 14th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Obsessed animal lover

My brother's 2 labs used to inhale their food. One time, my brother had left a rump roast to thaw on the kitchen counter and in the morning, it was gone. We tried to figure out if both labs got some or if Tyko, the voracious one, got it all. A couple of days later, we knew the answer. He puked and puked (out came a sock!).

Anyway, you can drill a hole in the bottom of the bowl and screw in a block to help slow down the eating. Or a big rock would do the same thing. They also sell bowls with raised 'knobs' (I don't know what to call them) so they have to slow down.
Old October 14th, 2008, 08:45 PM

Since we're hand-feeding Ozzy right now, it's easy to control how much he eats in each mouthful.

When we feed him by bowl, we did put the Kong in it and it definitely slowed him down. Not quite enough for my liking, but it worked. It is funny how he never thought to just take it out.

This jaw-quivering thing while he waits for the next handful just kills me. It's so funny to see!!
Old October 14th, 2008, 10:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgue View Post
Since we're hand-feeding Ozzy right now, it's easy to control how much he eats in each mouthful.

When we feed him by bowl, we did put the Kong in it and it definitely slowed him down. Not quite enough for my liking, but it worked. It is funny how he never thought to just take it out.

This jaw-quivering thing while he waits for the next handful just kills me. It's so funny to see!!

I think it's because labs are so eager to eat their food that they "forget" that the kong is something to play with so just want to get at the food.

If you still think Ozzy is eating too fast you can always put his food in a Kong or one of those treat dispensing balls. Good luck.
Old October 16th, 2008, 02:17 PM

I'm a new member with a new lab...Duke is only 8 weeks old and I'm already amazed by his appetite! It's not that he "inhales" his dog food, but that he already knows how to beg for people food! It's amazing. Now I have to train my husband to stop sharing!

I have had dogs my whole life, but this is the first one that has truely captured my heart!
Old October 16th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Skylar's Farm

Yes, feeding from the table will turn your puppy into a chronic "begger" and "drooler", which is not always appreciated.
I feed dogs first, then they can lie down while we eat. Good manners are important for dogs too.
Old November 16th, 2008, 10:01 AM

Labs and their voracious appetite

Lola is the same way. She will sit next to me while I prepare her food, drooling.
I like the idea of the koong. I will try that tonight with her evening meal.
Thaks
Bill
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Senior Contributor

My Lab Halo is food obsessive also. She was a food hog as a puppy but has slowed down some now as she's older. But drool is a huge thing with her. It starts as soon as we come through the door after a walk and she's waiting for her cookie. At dinner my husband feeds her from the table and she sits and drools all through dinner. I have to mop the floor after. I have told my husband it's his fault as she never used to beg. I have to enforce her manners and put her in a down stay during dinner to stop the drooling. When we're done each of the dogs gets a human treat. My problem is training hubby more than the dogs. I used a cookie sheet to feed Halo when she was younger so she couldn't gobble up huge mouthfuls of food. I can't imagine hand feeding forever. Good luck to you.
Old November 19th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Obviously problem husbands is a common theme. I have seen my OH take food out of his mouth and give it to the dog, Lab in our case as well. Yech. When he would be away for meals I noticed I ate all by my lonesome, no dog or cats hanging around, because they knew I wouldn't feed them when I was eating.

Quote:
My Lab Halo
Oh, I love that name. Taking a bit of chance though, weren't you? That she'd live up to it?