Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old June 14th, 2005, 10:46 AM
All the world a stage :3

Unhappy spay/release program needed for my garage

Long story short, I've got reproducing cats in the garage, and rather than have them removed and euthanized, or starve them, I want to stop the cycle! ( well, on a small scale :P )
I tried to get a deal cut with a local vet on having them spayed, but because one female is currently pregnant and the other has had previous litters, they said that the cheapest they would do it for would be 200$ each. $125 for each male.

(cries out broke college student whimpers of dispair)

There must be someone out there that can give me a better price!
I don't mind feeding them, and having them there. In fact, I would love for them to stick around in the safety of my industrial waste dump of a backyard, and know that they're fed, somewhat sheltered, and NOT HAVING ANY MORE BABIES!

My main problem aside from cost was that the garage is in fact not mine. I live with my grandmother, a senior citizen, and the house is under the pertial control (reign of terror) of my uncle, who's biggest concern (rather than repair the six ft. square hole in the kitchen cieling) is to scatter scores of mothballs around the garage so that the feral cats won't live in there anymore.

I finally convinced my grandmother that having feral cats in our garage is a good idea, (provided that they are all altered)
by reassuring her of how well they keep away the mice and rats, and now have her supprt both emotional and financial in this endeavor.

however, she's on a fixed income, and her/our house is falling apart. My uncle is too busy stockpiling mothballs to bother with anything And I'm a college student already in debt.

Animal controls suggestion? Starve them away.

Is there no organization in Toronto Area that provides some financially feasible service?
Maybe I should start one (me and all my organizational skills, heh heh)
The Richmond Hill Feral Cat Control Initiative! Rah!
Jokes, people... I can't afford the time.

But I would at least like to do as much as ensure that at least as many cats living in my garage can be altered and live better lives.
Am I wasting my energy?
Can anyone give me a kickstart?

sorry if this was way too long (and not enough to the point)
Cheerios!
Old June 14th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Try contacting the THS.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old June 14th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

its a good idea.

but i think you would go broke quick.

as long as people get cats and dont spay them there will always be ferals.

as logn as there is always ferals you will always have cats coming to your garage.

at what point is your limit?

in a perfect world Id love to feed and spay every single feral out there

but in a perfect world money would be no object either.

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old June 14th, 2005, 11:50 AM

Thailia, don't give up! The answer to the feral cat problem (which is definitely a huge problem) is not just to ignore it and I too have trapped ferals and had them spayed before releasing them. Don't worry about making sure you alter all of them....even if you are only able to just get one or two spayed, that helps as you have just prevented TONS of kittens from being born. As for prices, did you talk to several vets? Try calling vets other than just your local vet and explain your situation to them. Otherwise, i think the best route to go would be through an existing animal rescue group. The rescue i work with focuses solely on ferals and former-ferals, are there any groups like that anywhere near you? I would do some research and then contact shelters and any small rescue groups in your area and talk to them. They have vets that are already volunteering their time/services and they may be able to help you out. Good luck!
Old June 14th, 2005, 10:03 PM

spay/neuter

Isn't the Bond fondation nationwide? Try them

http://www.bondspayneuter.com/are.html

Julie

Reptile Watch: Rescue and placement service for reptiles and amphibians
Old June 15th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Senior Contributor

The Bond Fondation would like to expand across Canada, right now they only have vets in Quebec who reduce their rates for spaying and neutering. If you find some vets in Ontario would like to help reduce the over population of cats and dogs by lowering their rates, they can always contact The Bond Foundation and they would add them to their organization

Last edited by poodletalk; June 15th, 2005 at 07:08 AM.
Old June 16th, 2005, 05:09 AM
All the world a stage :3

it's official

I finally saw the pregnant mother again today, and she is very big. I'm putting out extra food for her, trying to keep her HERE so that when the kittens arrive there will be a chance I can try to get them away from her before they become feral.

in response: The bond neuter/spay program seems to be mainly in quebec... If I knew of a vet who would spay at reduced cost in my area, I wouldn't be asking if anyone here knew one.

I sent an email to THS and I'm awaiting their response.
*sigh*

PS: I just got hired full time yesterday, thank goodness. So now that I have a job, maybe I'll actually be able to afford this?
Old June 17th, 2005, 05:49 PM

I would check out if you have a spay/neuter clinic in the area. We have one in edmonton and it is significantly lower priced than the vet (about $40 less). Our clinic is listed under veterinary clinics in the phone book, but they strictly do spay and nuetering. I am just not sure how common spay/nueter clinics are.
Old June 17th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

I sent you a pm with a vet name.

Hang in there, you are doing a good thing.