Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Recipes for humans

Old April 4th, 2005, 12:59 PM

soup recipes

I'm getting some teeth removed tomorrow and was wondering if anyone knows of some good vegetarian soup recipes? I've got a good potato leek one but that's about it, I'm not usually a soup person so don't even know what kind I like, any suggestions would be great!
Old April 4th, 2005, 01:11 PM

Hmmm. I make a wicked chicken noodle soup, but nothing vegitarian I'm afraid.

You could always take your favorite veggies, leave them in LARGE chunks, and put them in a stock pot filled with about 8 cups of water. Add lots of your favorites to increase the flavor and let it simmer, uncovered, on the stove for about 2 hours, or until decreased by half volume. Pour the broth through a sieve, to get all the mushy veggies out, add some smaller, nicely chopped, veggies, a little spice and simmer until the veggies are cooked. That sounds like a wonderful homemade vegetable soup.

It's along the same concepts of my chicken soup, where I add the bones of the chicken instead of the large veggie chunks.

I'm sure it'll turn out pretty yummy.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!

Last edited by Trinitie; April 4th, 2005 at 01:14 PM. Reason: forgot the amount of water to use!
Old April 4th, 2005, 09:48 PM
banned user

Just want to verify, are you vegetarian, or vegan?

If vegetarian, you can try this one.
French Onion Soup

1 can (10 oz/284 mL) onion soup, and 1 soup can water

1 can (28 oz/796 mL) whole tomatoes

2/3 cup each: grated KRAFT Swiss Cheese and Kraft Mozzarella Cheese

1 French stick, sliced and toasted

1/3 cup Kraft 100% Parmesan Grated Cheese

PREPARE soup with water according to label directions. ADD tomatoes with liquid. STIR in Swiss and mozzarella cheeses. TOP each serving with a slice of toasted French stick. Sprinkle with KRAFT 100% Parmesan Grated Cheese and 1/3 cup additional grated cheese.

To be honest, when I have had work on my mouth, I ate AlphaGetti.. or other canned pasta for a few days.

My fave website for recipies is www.kraftcanada.com maybe you'll find something there!
Old April 4th, 2005, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safyre
Just want to verify, are you vegetarian, or vegan?
I'm a lactose intolerant vegetarian who loves cheese and breaks down quite often (yay lacteeze).

I made a vegetable one this afternoon using trinitie's recipe and added brown lentils and it is really good. i'll have to try the french onion one when I run out of the vegetable soup, it looks delicious!
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Carrot soup a la Marko

This is a real easy one and very tasty. I am NOT at all a talented cook but this soup always seems to turn out great. I always use different veggies to add with the carrots and LOADS of garlic. I never measure anything so I really had to think about how to describe this recipe....here goes.

This serves about 8 people or makes 8 good portions.

Peel a 2 pound bag of carrots.

Cut the carrots in half and add the carrots to a large pot of boiling water (4 liters). You can also add at the same time 1 or 2 onions, leeks, green pepper -whatever vegetables you have hanging around that you like.

Lower the heat so that everything simmers for about 20-25 min.

Once the carrots (and other vegetables if you used any) are very soft, strain them while SAVING the water that you used.

Put the carrots through a food processor, blender or use a hand masher and mash up the whole concoction reall well.

Put the concoction back into the original pot and slowly add back the water that you saved until the mixture is creamy (not too thin, not too thick)

Add salt, pepper, a lot of garlic, a bit of cream or milk (depending on your diet), and any other spices that you like and simmer again for at least 1/2 hour or more.

Serve and enjoy.
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Or you can do what I did when I had 4 impacted wisdoms pulled, just put dinner through the food processor (or blender)!!!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 5th, 2005, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats
Or you can do what I did when I had 4 impacted wisdoms pulled, just put dinner through the food processor (or blender)!!!!
Yup, I had the same thing done today and now I can't even eat the mushy soup I made yesterday, I had to put it through the blender so I could drink it But on the bright side I got a bunch of painkillers that make me feel really happy when I take them
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:44 AM
banned user

Kayla, how are your teeth feeling?

Edited to add: Sorry, didn't notice the time on your post. Still, hope you are doing alright.
Old April 6th, 2005, 12:44 PM

Feeling much better today actually, thanks for asking! I haven't even had to take any pain killers since yesterday, although I'm all swollen and do look like a chipmunk. Still hurts to eat and I'm really hungry but other than that it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be!
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:24 PM
banned user

Glad to hear it!
Old April 8th, 2005, 04:09 PM

Potato Corn Chowder

I make a potato corn chowder and its really good, the only problem is that I dont have any measurements everything is approximate but if you want to give it a shot let me know and I will give it my best!
Old April 8th, 2005, 07:18 PM

Oh I love corn! I don't need exact measurements, I never follow them anyways but if you give me an idea what's in it I'll give it a shot! Still can't eat solid food and getting sick of my veggie one so new ideas are very welcome!
Old April 9th, 2005, 05:28 AM
4ever luv 4 life!!!

corn soup

CORN SOUP

saute garlic and onions in oil, then add shrimps after a while add corn kernels....simmer season with salt, then add young pepper leaves 3 mins before removing from fire. hope this helps..
Old April 11th, 2005, 01:59 PM

Potato Corn Chowder

Sorry I dont have a computer at home so I couldn't post until I was back at work!

A couple/few potato's cut in cubes and skinned and cooked in a small to med pot of water with chicken boullion to taste, add corn (I use frozen) when potato's are just about done and let simmer untill all is cooked. Add a water/flour mixture or water/cornstarch as you would to thicken gravy. When soup is thick add in cheese! I use what ever is in my fridge, chedder, mozzarella, processed slices add lots and keep tasting when you like the taste the soup is done. (Dont be shy with the cheese!)

This is a thick soup so I use just enough water to cook the potato's!
Enjoy

(I cant remember if you eat cheese, if not sorry I got your hopes up)
Old April 12th, 2005, 06:37 PM

Though I'd be sick of soup by now but that actually looks really good! Thanks!
Old April 12th, 2005, 07:45 PM
4ever luv 4 life!!!

my turn

now, i got my tooth extracted...i forgot to eat soft food...i ate fried chicken in a chinese restaurant.....ouch!!!!!!
Old April 12th, 2005, 08:04 PM

oh i know how you feel i ate a veggie burger yesterday an got a pickle stuck in the hole where one of my wisdom teeth used to be- OUCH!