Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old October 15th, 2006, 04:16 AM

Good morning ,,was looking around on the net and came across this site and decided to join. Just got a 15 month shihzu last week,[Kaya] . We had one which we had to put down last winter due to cushings disease, heart disease,cancer, high blood pressure, and a prolapsed uterus which was coming out 7-8 times a day. Hardest thing we have ever done. Was not going to get another dog, but it seemed like something was missing . I probaly will be on here only in the early AM for a few minutes, so if I am late for responses please for give me.
Dobb
Old October 15th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Congrats on the new addition to your family and I'm sorry for the loss of the other. Welcome to the forum, there are a lot of knowledgable and helpful people here -- I'm sure you've already seen that. You'll be addicted like the rest of us before long. By the way, pictures are an absolute must so please post away!
Old October 15th, 2006, 06:11 PM
-

Welcome to the forum, Dobb. My condolences for the loss of your previous doggy. I certainly know what you mean by the "something missing" in your life comment. I have also tried but could only last a couple of months without a dog. They just add so much joy and make my life complete.
Looking forward to pics of Kaya.
Old October 16th, 2006, 02:15 AM

Not quite sure how to post a pic yet,,I'll try one for here
Attached Images

Old October 16th, 2006, 07:08 AM

Welcome, Dobb. I just LOVE your pic of Kaya!!

I'm also new here. Hope to get to know you and everyone else here a little better.

marj
Old October 16th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Kaya is very cute. I love the pic.
Just wanted to say welcome, and sorry for your loss.
Old October 16th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

welcome she's adorable!
Old October 17th, 2006, 02:29 AM

Thanks for the welcomes,,Being new to the forum, I'm not sure where you do most of the posting? Kaya has what they call a "cherry eye", she goes to the vet on Thrusday so I will find out then all about it. Has anyone had a dog with this problem? if so , what can I expect to hear. I'm hoping it can wait to be fixed as we want to let her have a litter ,then get her spayed and her eye fixed at the same time. It doesn't bother her at all and the previous owners said their vet said it was mostly a cosmedic thing. Any comments would be welcome
Dobb
Old October 19th, 2006, 02:47 AM
-

I think cherry eye is an infection of the tear duct. Sometimes it resonds to antibiotics but most often it needs to be surgically removed.

Why do you want Kaya to have a litter?
Old October 19th, 2006, 08:39 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobb
Thanks for the welcomes,,Being new to the forum, I'm not sure where you do most of the posting? Kaya has what they call a "cherry eye", she goes to the vet on Thrusday so I will find out then all about it. Has anyone had a dog with this problem? Dobb
We had a dog that was first diagnosed with a cherry eye, which I think might be a prolapsed tear duct, but upon second examination, it was found to be a kinked nictitating membrane. Both conditions are surgically fixable, but one of them was considered to be a genetic condition. Unfortunately, my feeble brain can't remember which it was

However, if it turns out to be a genetic condition it's a good reason to rethink the breeding equation.
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:26 AM

Good morning all,,Thanks for the replies. We had her to the vet yesterday. She explained the pros and cons of having a litter. We decided against it. We got a quote for spaying, fixing her eye, cleaning her teeth, micro-chip and tatooing. Going to be around 550$ which we thought was reasonable. The wife wanted to have a litter so we could keep one, but we will wait and adopt one if one comes available. We recieved a six week free pet insurance plan ,some kind of promotion thing. Do any of you have pet ins.? I know that our last dog was plagued with many illnesses and we spent alot of money on drugs and tests. We are supposed to recieve some stuff in the mail from the ins. company so will take a look at it then. Later Dobb
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:39 AM

Wow, that's the best post I've read all day. Nothing but good news.

A lot of people here have pet insurance and really believe in it. I don't have any.. But I should...
Old October 20th, 2006, 03:33 AM
-

Good news indeed. Glad you decided against breeding and adopting instead.

Your quote of $550 sounds very reasonable for everything that you are having done. I presume she is having the surgery done on her eye. Poor little girl is going to need a big hug after all that.

I don't have pet insurance either. We opted to put money into a different bank account for emergency vet bills. This topic has ben discussed here alot. If you do a search for "pet Insurance" you can read up on it. If you have any questions post them in the General Forum.
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:08 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Welcome to the boards, your girl is very pretty Thanks so much for deciding to adopt rather than breed, as you'll see the more you visit, we're all very pro spay/neuter here and many are involved in rescue. Though it's unlikely to be of great help to you (since I'm in the States), I do have pet insurance for one of my 2 dogs, and I love it The coverage is very thorough for the price I'm paying, which is always something you need to consider - will the ins. cover regular shots, emergency visits, is it vet specific or can you go wherever.

Hope to see you around and about, and trust me when I say we love pictures here

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old October 21st, 2006, 04:09 AM

Thanks for the replies, I checked a link in the general forum and compared the different plans. Vet ins seems to be the best plan, the one which I recieved as a promotional deal is Petplan. I'll wait till I get some info in the mail from Petplan and then make a decision on which one to enroll. The way I understand the plans is I am going to pay more cause she wasn't spayed before one year old.Another question for you all,,she had a Revolition flea treatment 48 hrs ago but seems to be scratching and digging more now than before. How long does this treatment take to work?
Later Dobb
Old October 21st, 2006, 05:56 PM

Did she have fleas? If not, the scratching could be something else (like allergies).
Old October 21st, 2006, 07:08 PM

I didn't see any fleas and the vet couldn't find any either. She is doing less scratching tonite though. Around ten this morning her eye started to get pussie looking so off to the vet we went. Infection in her eye so we got some cream for it and got her pre-op bloodwork done. Our own vet will call on Monday to set her date for the operation. The vet today said the sooner we fix her eye the better. It was a pretty discouraging day for us, just like de ja vous. Our previous dog had many health problems and we were at the vet several times a month. We weren't sure about getting another "baby", as we didn't want to go through the heartaches again. Oh well, I'm sure she will be fine after the surgery. Here's a pic of our first baby "Beauty"
Later Dobb
Attached Images

Old October 21st, 2006, 07:13 PM

She'll be ok once you get her into shape.

It might be a food allergy- if she keeps scratching, you might have to try completely different food to see if that helps..
Old October 21st, 2006, 08:51 PM
Senior Contributor

What a doll.She is adorable
Old October 22nd, 2006, 11:00 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

she's beautiful.
Old October 25th, 2006, 03:15 AM

Well we got Kaya's surgery date, next Thrursday morning I drop her off and pick her up Friday afternoon. Hope everything goes all right. I know this is a stupid question ,but how often does something go wrong when a dog goes under and does not wake up? They tell you there is a chance that something could happen, so it gets you thinking. I know that we have the best vet in town so I should not worry.
Later Dobb
Old October 25th, 2006, 12:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobb View Post
Well we got Kaya's surgery date, next Thrursday morning I drop her off and pick her up Friday afternoon. Hope everything goes all right. I know this is a stupid question ,but how often does something go wrong when a dog goes under and does not wake up? They tell you there is a chance that something could happen, so it gets you thinking. I know that we have the best vet in town so I should not worry.
Later Dobb
It's not a stupid question--every time we take one of ours in to have their teeth cleaned or for surgery we worry about it. Thankfully, the chance of death seems to be pretty remote, especially for a young and healthy animal. You hear of isolated cases here and there, but they're few and far between. If you're really worried, ask the vet how many problems he or she has experienced in the past--the vet won't think it's a dumb question, either. (If the vet does, you need to find a different vet...)
Old October 25th, 2006, 10:18 PM

You can also ask for the pre-op blood tests to be sure the kidneys are working properly.

Good luck.
Old October 26th, 2006, 02:18 AM

Had the blood test done on Saturday when we had her in for her eye. The vet just said it had to be done, I presumed she won't operate without it, unless maybe emeregenicies. Ourformer dog Beauty wasn't able to be operated on . Vet said she wasn't comfortable with her heart condition and didn't want to chance it.
Later Dobb