Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 8th, 2009, 04:59 PM

Brittle flaking nails on 1 year old Chessie

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and if so what did you do? My one year old Chessapeak bay retriever has very brittle dry, and flaking nails. They bleed when I excercise him. Is it dietary or the sign of a health prolbem? He does not seem to be bothered by it, but I'm worried. Should I just take him to the vet? I usually get great answers on this forum. Please help.
Old October 8th, 2009, 07:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If the nails are so brittle as to bleed when he exercises, the first step should definitely be a vet visit. Once you get a diagnosis, you'll best know how to treat it.

Out of curiosity, what are you feeding him? Does he have flaky, dry, maybe itchy skin as well?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Doggie Wench

I'd say a vet visit is a good idea too....and I'm also interested in what he's eating.

Does he happen to chew his nails by any chance?
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:27 PM

The Chessie does have dry flaky skin as well. He is eating purina pro plan. Its my daughters dog and I have my Brittney on a raw diet. My daughter cannot afford the raw diet as yet. When her finances get better then she will be seeing my holistic vet. In the meantime I agree about a vet visit. I really think its allergies. He is not bitting his nails or chewing at his paws.
Old October 12th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Doggie Wench

I'm willing to bet it's the poor quality food.

If finances are an issue, Kirkland Chicken and Rice kibble (available at Costco) is a much better choice for value/quality and is less expensive than the Pro Plan. Your daughter may want to add Salmon oil and Vitamin E (if the Salmon oil doesn't already contain it) supplements, also available at Costco, to her dog's meals. A raw egg, shell and all, a few times a week is also a healthy treat for her dog.

You may also want to guide her to the raw forum here as there are great ideas/tips on feeding raw inexpensively.
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:51 PM

Thank you so much for your advice. There is a costco not too far away and I think I will take her there. I will also try the oil, I think it will make a difference.