Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 13th, 2011, 04:59 PM

need help with 8 month old weimaraner/gsh pointer cross

Hello
I'm hoping someone out there can make some suggestions... I have an 8 month old weimaraner/german shorthair pointer cross who seems to have a sensitive tummy I feed my dogs a good quality food, I started him on Canidae when I got him, which my shih tzu eats.. but noticed that his stools were always soft and that he poops 7-8 times a day.. he doesn't seem to be digesting his food? We also noticed that he is very gassy and burps alot and I mean big noisy burps! So, we started on a venture of trying different flavours of canidae.. with no success... then I tried a raw diet.. that brought out some food aggression issues and with kids in the house, that was a no no... so we're now trying Acana Pacifica because I read that fish is easier to diges .. don't see any improvement yet... so, this has been an ongoing issue for the past 3 months... and yes, I did the slow transition between foods over a 7 day period, except a few that I noticed seem to make him worse.. with diarrhea and vomiting after the transition.. for those I just switched him back to what he was on before the change .... anyone have any suggestions as to a good food that may help this situation? or does he need supplements? Thank you
Old September 13th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I think Acana is from the same company as Orijen and thats what I have had awesome success with.

Have you only tried the fish? I would start out with something like chicken and if he is good on it introduce another protein source if you like. Maybe the fish is too much for him.

I use pumpkin for either diarrea or constipation (it works either way) and it must be the pumpkin that is pure not the pumpkin pie filling.

I assume you have ruled out medical / gastrointestinal issues?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 13th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Over feeding any food, but especially a quality food, can cause the runs. I only use the feeding scale they give as a basic guideline. I have never yet actually fed my dogs as much as they suggest.

It can often take a while to see a real difference when you change food. I found my dogs did not do well on very high protein diets. It gave them the runs, so if you're using one that's really high (40+) you may want to look at a lower protein. My dogs are older though, so they really don't need that much.

I also swear by the 100% pure pumpkin, but that said, I would be cautious of using it to mask something. Have you had your vet rule out IBD, or some other gastro issues? Good luck with your pup. Do we have pics somewhere??
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

as the others have said, get a vet to rule out any gastric problems, Brina (labX) had trouble like that as a pup and I switched her to lamb and brown rice......now nice firm poops, no more or at least 90% less gas from both ends *L* and she poops twice a day....