Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 20th, 2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
No, he's urinated..just in the box, like a good kitty boy should! And we praise praise praise when he does...you can tell he's suspcious though..he's like ...well ya, so what?
Ooops sorry, I meant urinated outside of the box....
Old January 20th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I had Czari on Prozac for about 6 months. The first few weeks she was on it, she was very wary and it did take a while for it to get into her system. I imagine he'll be okay with a few more days. You should check places that sell ready made raw. I know one of the places I buy my gangs food sells Nature's Variety Raw food, and they have small packages that cost around $4. If you can get that then you can see if they will like it and nto pay a lot. But, I can tell you from my own gangs experience, it takes a while. My little guy Maks at first loved it, then stopped eating it. His sister, Kiska, wouldn't touch it, but I put some down not long ago and she dug in.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 20th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniroc View Post
I've been reading lots about what is appropriate for cats, so finding a wet food choice may be difficult since we humans tend to attribute our needs to cats - such as fruits, veggies and other stuff we like and is healthy for us, but not necessary for cats who are obligatory meat eaters.
Ya, that's definitely the case with many pet foods. I know that some of them, like Wellness or Nature's Variety, don't really contain that much of the fruits and veggies because the "as fed" nutritional analysis shows the total carbohydrate content to be quite low.

Quote:
So far, a raw meat diet looks like the best option but I don't think I could switch them just like that. Besides, I need to find somewhere that offers it and see if Ford and Scarlet like it. Baby steps.
Baby steps are good. Do you ever offer them pieces of fresh meat, say some lightly cooked chicken breast? That would be a good way to start gradually introducing them to raw, if you haven't already tried it.

There is a fantastic premade raw food that's made right in Vancouver from a company called Red Dog Deli. The chicken and turkey are complete (includes ground bone) but the venison and buffalo need additional calcium if they're to be used for more than intermittent/supplemental feeding.

Quote:
Still waiting for the lab results on the blood, and i'm going to get the no-absorb litter this evening.
That No Sorb stuff is pretty pricey, and they only give you a miniscule amount. You could use clean aquarium gravel instead, if you prefer. I usually just stalk my cat with a shallow jar lid (a ladle or spoon also works) and slide it under his butt after he's started peeing. That wouldn't work so well if you have a shy "pee-er", though.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 21st, 2009, 08:03 AM
Senior Contributor

I did the same when I needed urine from my Peppi()I waited for him to go to the box,then I held a container to catch the pee,but he was a very calm cat.
Rocky stayed one day at the vet and they had to extract urine,not a pleasant experience for him,I am sure.

I am sooo pleased with Fords progress
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:17 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

With Puddles, I had to follow her around the house with a clean, new kitten litter box with the no sorb in it, wait for her to just start her pee in her normal litter box and then swiftly pick her up and put her in the kitten litter box with the no sorb in it. Then I put the urine with the no sorb in the container to take to the vet.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:38 AM

How is Ford coming along since the vet visit?

Tags
behavior, cat, give away, urinating