Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 17th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Senior Contributor

I got my 'Protect-a-Bed' matress protector at Home Outfitters. They're kinda pricey, but it's worth it to not have to replace a mattress ever again. They are completely waterproof, but it's not like having a rubber sheet on your bed, it's like a membrane on the underside and terry cloth on top. The other bonus is that the cover actually prolongs the life of the mattress by preventing sweat and dirt, mites, allergens etc... from getting in the mattress.

IKEA also sells mattress protectors much cheaper, but I'm not sure if they are as waterproof as the 'Protect-a-Bed'.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
My suggestion is to get a harness, let him get used to it in the apt.

http://cats.about.com/cs/behaviorali...leashtrain.htm
Funny thing is, a number of years ago I bought a harness and attempted to get him into it, as that was a miracle in and of itself - but once leashed he went crazy, flipping around everywhere mewling like he was in pain (but mostly scared). I had even let him walk around with just the harness on prior to leashing him and he ran round and round crying - poor guy, it tramatized him way too much.

Last edited by Aniroc; January 17th, 2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:34 PM

Actually, it was a URTI - he was coughing and breathing raspy so the vet suggested the steroid after having several xrays.

And thanks for the suggestion of the Greenies, that may work....he wolfs down his food so that could work. And the transdermal gels are a great suggestion. Going to the vet today to see what he as to say and I"m asking for a blood panel and a urinalysis
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:45 PM

Wow, I am really touched by all your suggestions and well wishes from everyone. You've all given me some additional things to try - and I don't want to give up on him, afterall he's my cute little booboo bear! He's really a cutie when he's not pissing everywhere, lol.

I'm seriously going to think about changing his diet to a more natural wet, no or low grain feed or even transition them to raw. And I think I'll get a few more Felliway diffusers.

Getting rid of the furniture really isn't an option but I'll try the Off-Spray mentioned earlier as well. I'll also try the home made scent removal spray as well and sell off my shares for Natures Miracle -lol-.

I'm also going to try keeping each litter box full of different litters to see if I can satisfy his need for comfortability when he needs to go, and that may mean bringing back Worlds Best.

Between all your suggestions and that from the vet who we'll be seeing this afternoon I hope that we can find some improvement in the situation. Heaven knows we really love this little (but large -21lbs!) guy. Thanks again everyone.
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniroc View Post
Between all your suggestions and that from the vet who we'll be seeing this afternoon I hope that we can find some improvement in the situation.
Let us know how it goes. And kudos to you for trying so hard to find a solution!

Oh ya, one more thing: we're going to wanna see some pics of the furry pee monster and his sis, so you better get some ready to deflect the demanding hoards!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 17th, 2009, 01:23 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

21 pounds! Yikes! Big boy. That in itself may be part of the issue. If he is that big it is possible he is just not comfortable in a normal sized kitty litter box. My suggestion would be to try one of those under the bed storage boxes. Not too high sided so he can get in and out of it comfortably.

I think you had mentioned before that two of your boxes are covered. So between the covered boxes and possibly being too small for him to be comfortable in it could lead to his not being a happy camper and peeing where he is most comfortable.... your couch or bed.

I know you said hubby doesn't like the uncovered ones but hubby isn't the one having to use it. I would think if it helped to stop the problem then hubby should just learn how to put up with an uncovered large box.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 17th, 2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
21 pounds! Yikes! Big boy. That in itself may be part of the issue. If he is that big it is possible he is just not comfortable in a normal sized kitty litter box. My suggestion would be to try one of those under the bed storage boxes. Not too high sided so he can get in and out of it comfortably.
We delt with huge cats and standard size litter boxes several years ago. Eight indoor cats and two litter boxes with five of them really big cats. Replaced one of the standard boxes with a large plastic tote with a hole cut in one end. The tote is big enough for our biggest ones to get in and have plenty of room to move around and do what they need to. Worked great for us. Hope you get things worked out.

along with; Dixie, Angel, Dex, Leroy, Babygirl, Harley, Chubby, Jasper, Katie and ole buckethead; Samson

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. Robert A. Heinlein
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:53 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhartjr View Post
We delt with huge cats and standard size litter boxes several years ago. Eight indoor cats and two litter boxes with five of them really big cats. Replaced one of the standard boxes with a large plastic tote with a hole cut in one end. The tote is big enough for our biggest ones to get in and have plenty of room to move around and do what they need to. Worked great for us. Hope you get things worked out.
Yep, that would work too. Great idea!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Aniroc,of course we would all try to help,we do not want to see Ford lose his loving home and it is very obvious you love him
As for the covered boxes,my cats did not like them,I tried them once.
I could imagine the smell is ten times worse in there,also they will breath in more dust.
I have 2 large rubbermaid boxes for 3 cats,I've tried all kinds of litters but I am back to Costco's clumping litter,I am not happy about it,but that's what the cats like,I am not taking any chances they would prefer to pee somewhere else.
May I ask where you get your Feli-Way,they are not available here anymore,so I buy mine off E-Bay,I just ordered 4 refills for $79US,I use the same seller in New York all the time.
The 4 refills will last for 2 months.
I almost hope there is something medically wrong with him,nothing serious,just so it can be corrected
21lb's is huge,my biggest kitty is 17,5 lb's
Please let us know what the vet says and pics please
Old January 18th, 2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhartjr View Post
Replaced one of the standard boxes with a large plastic tote with a hole cut in one end.
Actually, the hubby and I recently "made" an extra large litter box by doing just such a thing from a how to segement I found on youtube. I think eventually, we will replace all the litter boxes with this alternative method to ensure that the cats are comfortable to use them.
Old January 18th, 2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
May I ask where you get your Feli-Way,they are not available here anymore,so I buy mine off E-Bay
Actually, I've purchased my Feli-way from both the vet and from the local PetSmart. I used both the diffuser and the spray but while they are expensive, I think that its worth keeping a stock of them in the apartment to make my kitties feel nice and relaxed
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:42 PM

Okay, here is the update on yesterday's visit to the vet.

First, was the experiencing of cornering Ford to pick him up and drop him into the towel lined crate, poor guy didn't like that too much! He cried and cried as we carried him down to the car, peeing in response to his fear. I just kept talking to him, hoping to calm him down.

We go to Allondale Animal Hospital. The staff and Vets there are phenomenal, I've always been so touched how they go the extra mile. They really take the time to listen and are always genuine in our discussions and suggestions. Its more than a business to them there, you know they care and I really appreciate it. Dr. Searle was wonderful with us and Ford.

She performed a full examination and after a thourough discussion about signs and symptoms along with her observations, she doubted there was any medical issues. However, on my request she did take blood and I am to obtain a urine specimen using a no-absorb litter.

As I suspected (as some of you) the problem seems to be behavorial. We had a long discussion about environments, cat behavior, diet and of course litters. One interesting thing she said was that Ford might be stressed out from being the dominant cat and may need to be relieved from those duties. We decided to try clomicalm, an oral antianxiety medication that I tried with some pill pockets she gave us. Thankfully, Ford took to the hidden medication with no problems (a few hours after we got home), what a relief! No needles or pill rockets required! I really appreciated Dr. Searle advising that Ford may not need to remain on the medication forever, that eventually he could be weaned off. She wants us to report back in two weeks and advised that if he didn't take the medications we'd get a refund.

When we talked about diet needs, she agreed like many of you, that kibble isn't natural and that a more natural diet could help. She didn't try to upsell us on any of the brands they sell at the hospital but suggested we try to find a brand the cats like and to slowly transition them.

After the vet, I stopped by the local pet store to find some more natural food and to look at the litters. At $1.99 a can (ouch!) I purchased a few cans of Go! Natural, grain free wet cat food. Ford and Scarlet really took to the Fresh Water Trout flavor, but I'll head to the big box store next week to check out some ingrediants and brands. I'm feeling really hopefull!

Also, while at the store I came across a new litter I'm excited to try in one of our 3 boxes. Its called Hygenicat, and its all natural, super absorbant and lightweight - made out of lava rock particles. I've read the reviews and it all seems positive, so I'm including a YouTube clip for you all to check out too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q48JbjGd6RY

I have given Ford his second pill today, an while I know I shouldn't expect to see any results right away (these things take awhile for a positive effect) he seems a bit recluse today. I think he's still upset with me for putting him in the crate. He won't purr when I pet him and he turns his body away from me. I'm sure he'll get over it, I just hope its sooner than later. Scarlet, we'll she's her cute lil self as usual. I'm including a few pictures of our cats below. Ford is the all black cat and Scarlet is the furry white and black lioness They are always so lovely dovey with each other.

I'll keep you all updated on how things go and the results of the lab tests.

Name:  Kitty (1).jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2518.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  88.7 KB

Last edited by Aniroc; January 18th, 2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awww they are beautiful, Ford sure loves his Scarlett.

I wonder if Ford is like my Jasper. He loves his girls and I think he marks his territory inside in part because of them.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Awww they are beautiful, Ford sure loves his Scarlett.

I wonder if Ford is like my Jasper. He loves his girls and I think he marks his territory inside in part because of them.
I thought about that too, but who knows...and yes, they love each other very much. Often we find them curled up together, or licking each other or chasing one another, lol. I can't imagine life without either of them! I made a scrap book just of them too, so cute!
Old January 18th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Your vet sounds like a great person. I'm so glad she agreed with changing his diet and didn't give you a hard time. I don't know about the pricing where you live, but Wellness makes a grain free that many members here feed their cats. I've been feeding mine Innova, Merrick and Evanger. Yes they are all a bit pricey, but in the long run it's so much better for them than dry.

Ford and Scarlett are just lovely. I love those pictures of them together.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 18th, 2009, 07:48 PM

[QUOTE=ancientgirl;733857]Your vet sounds like a great person. [QUOTE]

Dr. Searle and Dr. O'Grady, really are wonderful. When I took Ford in because of his constant wheezing, we decided that xrays were needed. Ford was a difficult client, and they had to take numerous xrays before they could get a clear picture. Even though many films were taken, they only charged me for one. This is the kind of vetrinary office that is more concerned with the client then their bottom dollar. I have nothing but good things to say about them.
Old January 18th, 2009, 07:58 PM

They are so cute I have a girl and a boy cat as well and they are always cuddling with eachother. I have to say - Ford looks almost exactly like my sisters cat that sprays....maybe they came from the same dominant dad

Please keep us posted on the medication. My sister is moving out soon and if this medication works and does not seem to effect Ford too much negatively I would like to recommend it to my sister.
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the update, and for showing us just how cute your 2 kitties are. Sounds like you have a good plan worked out (and a great vet!). I look forward to hearing how Ford does over the next while.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I'm a softy

just reading all of this now and I just couldnt wait to say something!! I am glad that your kitty seems healthy though!

I have had many many many cats in the past, and foster mom cats and kittens often, have a mother and babies now.. So I have seen this problem before, YAY for you for sticking through it this long, I have been the recipient of many people not sticking it out like you!

I am glad you will change the food, I wanted to say that after I read your first post, neutered males and grocery store kibble... not a good combination! A good canned all meat food is what he should have.

Also I think it is behavioral, I had a cat once that never wanted to use the litter box again after the washing machine went into spin cycle when he was in the box, lucky I was there and saw so I could connect the dots, If I had not seen it I would have never known why he refused to go in there. Something like this could have scared your kitty at some point when you were not around and now associates the litter box with this traumatic event. I would try some positive reniforcement with the litter box and maybe research online some other desensitizing training methods, I really really hope that something works for you and your kitty GOOD LUCK!!
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Aniroc,Scarlet and Ford are beautiful and sooo cute cuddling together.
The dominant issue seems a really valid one and Iit will improve with the meds
Having a good vet,who really digs in to the problem and one you can trust is certainly more than half the battle.

Is it at all possible Ford sees other cats outside,if he has access to a window??
A strange cat would really get my Rocky going,protecting his home,even if the strange cat is outside and Rocky safely inside.

My new vet,also does not question my choice of food for my 3 guys,any vet must know,that kibbles is not what neutered male kitties should eat.
Mine are doing great on Wellness no grain,but I also have Eagle Pack,Innova Evo I will try.
Hubby grumbled at first about the cost,but it has eased off

Last edited by chico2; January 19th, 2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Senior Contributor

About the Feli-Way,it was taken off store-shelves here and I was told it was not FDA approved,that happened just as I was starting to see positive results
Pet Value,Pet Smart were selling another brand but it did not have the same effect.
Now I get 4 Feli-Way refills every 2 months off E-Bay,at a good price.
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Catlover2

You're very lucky to have such wonderful vets. And the pics of Scarlett & Ford together are priceless...maybe you should have called him Rhett?

Hope something works here, whether it's boxes or litter. You are to be congratulated for seeking out all solutions. Many people in your position would have dumped him off at the side of a road or a shelter by now. Good for you!
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:17 PM

Feliway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniroc View Post
Actually, I've purchased my Feli-way from both the vet and from the local PetSmart. I used both the diffuser and the spray but while they are expensive, I think that its worth keeping a stock of them in the apartment to make my kitties feel nice and relaxed

Just an idea I got my Feliaway on ebay. Even with shipping it was so much cheaper!
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Just an idea I got my Feliaway on ebay. Even with shipping it was so much cheaper!
Do you have it shipped into Canada? And with the dollar exchange from US to Canadian? I will have to try figuring it out in price difference.
Old January 19th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Khari,I get mine from New York through E-Bay,refills are $16,95 US and I usually buy 4,with shipping and handling,it comes to $79 US.
I believe converted to Canadian $,it's just less than $100.
My vet used to charge $44C for a refill,$ 80 something with the diffuser,so I think it's a good deal.
Even if they start selling them here again,they will be too expensive.
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:20 PM

Great - thanks for the info. I will pass along to my sister
Old January 20th, 2009, 06:33 PM

Update on Ford and Clomicalm

Okay, so its day 4 for Ford and his new medical regime. So far, I think Ford has been a little doe-eyed from the medication, he's not quite himself but today I think he's coming around. I was a bit worried that maybe the medication doped him out, but I wanted to wait as long as possible to ensure that the medication is working through his system instead of asking the vet to reevaulate the dosage - I know these things can take a little while to work.

But I have noticed positive changes already - such as he doesn't freak out when I walk by him. On the downside, he won't cuddle or come around for pets yet, but he could still be getting over the visit to the vet.

For the dietary changes, I'm still offering their traditional kibble but upping the wet food capacity. I've been reading lots about what is appropriate for cats, so finding a wet food choice may be difficult since we humans tend to attribute our needs to cats - such as fruits, veggies and other stuff we like and is healthy for us, but not necessary for cats who are obligatory meat eaters. So far, a raw meat diet looks like the best option but I don't think I could switch them just like that. Besides, I need to find somewhere that offers it and see if Ford and Scarlet like it. Baby steps.

The litter situation has been good too, the new litter is working very well so far and I praise Ford every time he uses it offering a few treats after he goes. So far no accidents, but the tinfoil and tarps will remain in place for a while, a few months at least.

Still waiting for the lab results on the blood, and i'm going to get the no-absorb litter this evening.

Thats all for now!
Old January 20th, 2009, 06:39 PM

So, he hasn't urinated in 4 days? Is this normal? Let's hope the medication is helping

What new litter/litterbox? are you using? Why do you think no absorb will be better?
Old January 20th, 2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khari View Post
So, he hasn't urinated in 4 days? Is this normal? Let's hope the medication is helping

What new litter/litterbox? are you using? Why do you think no absorb will be better?
No, he's urinated..just in the box, like a good kitty boy should! And we praise praise praise when he does...you can tell he's suspcious though..he's like ...well ya, so what?

I mentioned in my previous update that I was to collect a urine specimen with a no-absorb litter, specfically made for that purpose. I'll close him in a room tomorrow to help him along and so Scarlet doesn't use it.

The other litter is a lava rock formulated heavy absorb type that I reviewed and talked to the people at the pet store about. It has some really good reviews and I'm trying to see what type he likes...I have a few on the go, lol. Hope that clears it up Khari
Old January 20th, 2009, 06:52 PM
150% PRO S/N

for Ford!! It will take a while for him to get over the vet visit. Hopefully after that he will get back to being his regular lover self.
Great that the litter is working well. Hopefully it will continue to.

Is it possible to not close him in a room tomorrow to use the no absorb? He could possibly misconstrue it as punishment for something and backslide a little.

Good job so far for Ford and you!!

Tags
behavior, cat, give away, urinating