Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Books

Old January 22nd, 2008, 02:03 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Dean Kootz and Doggies

Hey, I was just on another site and they were talking about this new Dean Kootz novel called The Darkest Evening of the Year, I guess it has a golden in it, it's about a lady who works for a golden rescue...I guess that's not the main story line but it sounds good. So I went to his site and he's a huge dog lover, has pictures and clips of his golden Trixie who died in June.

Here's the link: http://www.deankoontz.com/

The pictures are pretty cute. I read alot of his stuff and plan on reading this one too. There is a conversation between Trixie, who's at the bridge and Dean...she's telling him to be good so they can go to heaven together and that the bridge is a great place to be with belly rubs and swimming pools. Very cute. And trixie has written 2 books too! LOL!

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)

Last edited by Ford Girl; January 22nd, 2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 02:19 PM
Swift Tribe

most of the books of his ive ever read has has a golden in it and ultimately that golden has been the hero.

go to amazon and read the first few pages of Watchers. i just did and when he starts pelting the golden with rocks, i always cry at that point. a really great book. also From The Corner Of His Eye is really good... The Bad Place was really disturbing.

he has a few fluff books but for the most part, he is a very good writer.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:41 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Ya, I saw that, alot of his books have dogs and goldens, you can see them listed on his site...but I guess this new one is about dogs/goldens rescues rather then a dog being a side character...looks good.

I have read a few, the Odd Thomas one was good...then I saw today that there are 3 in total in the series.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

When I was in high school I read all of his books and if there was a dog in it, it was always a golden. Since then my literary tastes have changed, but once in a while I'll buy one of his books to read as a guilty pleasure.

It's nice to see an author educating his readers in a round about way.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old April 11th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I just finished it, and for a dog lover and especially for those who know golden traits, this book was very good...a little murder mystery, a little sexual tenion, a whole lota goldens, and a very dedicated rescue worker...makes for a good read. It's not rocket science, but it's heart warming!!

Old April 11th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Flyball Mom

My mom reads Dean Koontz all the time, I told her when she gets this one I'm definitely borrowing it. It's still in hardcover, but should be in paperback shortly.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old April 12th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I stay as far aways I can from horror books but I am glad he does like animals. IO do like the mysteries with animals in them. The Joe Gray series I really like Shirley Murphy-Rousseau http://www.joegrey.com/- thee cats (Joe Gray, Duclie and the Kit solve mysteries - it's wonderful) and of course I like the cozy mystery series by Lilian Jackson Braun with the Siamese KoKo and Yum Yum but only because of them. I doubt I;d read her sans Siamese. There is also hmmm... a book called Stray that I did not care for. Hard to explain, if you like Koonz, you might like it tho it is more psych adventure/ mystery than horror. Then there is Temple and Black Louie and I forget the author - kind of different as is Rita Mae Brown and her one dog and two cats who help solve mysteries. The best writer of the lot is Rousseau Murphy though I suspect Braun is the best known.

As for dogs, I loved the Shaggy Dog (the book, not the movie tho laughed like a fool thru the new movie). And of course The Incredible Journey will tug at your heart every time.

I am considering writing a novel where a cat/person has the ability to tun someone into a cat but it is against whatever rules of the coven or whatever name I come up with. However, a nasty neighbour is a is nasty to a dog and cat makes her momentarily forget and she turns said neighbour into a cat who looks like a kitty in need of a hair cut and much help and this is picked up by the pound with the usual problems. The character has to get her out of the pound but it would have a happy ending, even for the neighbour, lol I would be more of a kid's novel. If I ever write chapter one, I'll post of for editorial input, lol I have an agent for the medical texts I write but not sure she could sell any cat mysteries, lol

I WILL look up Mr. Kootz tho - I did get one of his in a Double day book of the month club and have maybe 40 in .lit format (to read on a blackberry or laptop or Pocket PC) but I just never read them. As I said, the Exorcist did it to me for horror. I do not even like Mr. King's books. (well, Delores Claiborne was not bad)
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

CK - This isn't a horror, not scary at all...a little suspenseful during rescue plots...so I'm sure you could handle it. Nothing like the Exorcist! I promise!

Oh, and that would be cool to write a book...

Old September 26th, 2008, 02:38 AM

I'm glad to find some other Dean Koontz fans... I love his books! I'm a little behind on reading some of them, but definately need to get started up again.
Popeye - kitty - 1+ yrs.
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:12 AM

Will definitely have a read when it comes out over here. There was a book he wrote which was turned into a mini series and its driving me mad as i cant think of the name. Its the guy with the glasses from Scrubs who is the serial killer in the mini series anyway he locks this girl in his house and he has three trained to kill dobermans patrolling the grounds. I read it 10 years ago and its got to be one of the most SUSPENSFUL (is that even a proper word?) books i ever read. One where you a are literally screaming at her in the book to get a move on and get out!!! If anyone knows the name - put me out of my misery pls.....
Old September 29th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I just finished Winter Moon by Dean K, and it had a golden in it too. Cuz he owned one he's always bang on when it comes to describing them. So cute!!

Old September 30th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I am a book fanatic. I love Dean Koontz and probably have every book he's ever written (I also love Stephen King). The Darkest Evening of the Year is definitely a good book, and it does try to educate the reader somewhat on puppy mills and animal abuse. But although it is not a horror story, it does have it's supernatural elements.

The Odd Thomas series is very good, although the dog in those (Boo) is a white shepard.

For another good dog book, "Merle's Door, Lessons from a Free Thinking Dog" by Ted Kerasote is very good. It's not a fiction - and does reference some very interesting studies on animal intelligence.
Old June 10th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Girl View Post
I just finished it, and for a dog lover and especially for those who know golden traits, this book was very good...a little murder mystery, a little sexual tenion, a whole lota goldens, and a very dedicated rescue worker...makes for a good read. It's not rocket science, but it's heart warming!!
Fordgirl, I read this book about a week ago, and quite enjoyed it.
I don't know if you've read his Odd Thomas series, I've the entire series over the past few days and loved, loved, loved them!

Koontz, even added a golden in the last book of the series "Odd Hours", in the book "Brother Odd", he introduced a ghost dog named Boo, who also follows "Odd" in "Odd Hours".

I was so entranced and enthralled by the "Odd Thomas" series, I seriously couldn't put them down.