Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 17th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Vet Visit and Vaccines

Tabitha and Bomber went for their annual check up and all went well! We had a good discussion with our vet about vaccinations and he agreed that I no longer likely need to vaccinate. Based on a few things though. They never have been outside and never will be, I do not have other cats coming into the home, they have been vaccinated every yr for the past 13. I was going to opt for the Titer test to confirn what they have in them but the vet said that it will really only tell you 100% if a particular vaccine is off the charts and the cost is 125.00 per cat. He said if the test was descriptive enough and told you exactly what amounts etc are in the cat it would be more useful.

Tabitha weighed in again at 6.6 lbs and Bomber again at 8.5 lbs. Same weight they have been all their lives??

We have had some more inappropriate peeing in the house lately by Tabitha and her vengence against all things DOG has not changed. I thought by using the pheremones it would help her with her issues but alas it has not! It may have had the opposite affect because I caught Bomber peeing twice in the past couple of weeks! But what drives me absolutely CRAZY is they still use the box too! So my only other option as this time is to put her on some form of behaviour drug. We discussed pilling as NOT being an option and the vet said I could use the cream in the ears! (I think AG's Czari used this!) I asked about the drug and funny enough it is Amitryptaline (sp??) in a cream form. I actually take the same thing for Fybromyalgia. I opted to wait and see how things go for the time being. As long as there are no beds of the dog aroound and access to his crate is restricted then she wont pee??

Bomber didnt have enough urine in him for a sample to be taken to rule out any urinary issues so we have to go back for that. He hasnt done it again for over a week?? All in all teeth had some tarter but nothing to worry about, and he said their coats and eyes and all looked well for 13 yr olds!

The only bad thing that happened was when I placed them back in the carrier Tabitha let Bomber know she was pissed off! THe last couple of visits she seems to attack him when I put them in the carrier together maybe I will have to consider dividing it or seperating them!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 17th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sounds like a good check up

Puddles is 13 and my vet also agrees no more vaccines for her.

It was Sweet Pea taking amitryptaline by gel in the ears and I had to stop it because she got too aggressive. It was suppose to ease her aggression and stress with Puddles . Plus, it can cause kidney issues in cats so he recommended blood work every 12 weeks. I would not put a senior cat on it.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 17th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thanks L4H I just dont know how comfortable I am with putting her on it. Technically when I ran all the tests before they said she had ideopathic cystitius (not sure on spelling) and that many people will confuse it with bad behaviour because it happens irregularily where they will have an inflamed bladder etc. But with her I dont know if she really has that because her issues are with Winston and him only. She never pee's anywhere in the house or on furniture etc so you think behaviour??

I keep telling her she rules the roost but it is not working!@

Winston is petrified of her!

Thanks again for the info! I appreciate it!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 17th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Nothing to add, but glad the checkup went well and they got a clean bill of health!!!!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 17th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Catlover2

Notice that Tabitha is older than your dog Winston, so am assuming you had her first. Was she standoffish to the dog from the beginning? This behaviour would be normal, but most cats get used to a dog if it is submissive to them, but a few just don't like dogs period. Her peeing behaviour might be more of a jealousy thing going on. Do you pay more attention to the dog in her presence? Could be she's jealous if she sees you petting or talking to the dog and this is her way of "getting back" at the dog and you. If you pay attention to Tabitha talking and petting her, does the dog try to horn in for attention too? This would upset her. If she genuinely dislikes Winston, you could try just giving him attention out of her sight & ears, and making Winston go to his crate or put in a sit-stay away from you when you're giving petting Tabitha especially if he wants your attention at the same time. It's obvious that Tabitha is a dominant cat and wants to be "queen of the house".

Hissing at Bomber when you put them in the carrier is "displaced aggression" --- she's getting mad at him because she was uncomfortable and upset about the vet visit and he's her whipping boy. Next time you put them in the carrier together, give each of them some catnip. Catnip does have a calming effect.
Old October 17th, 2009, 10:26 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You brave girl taking them both in the same carrier!!! I would never try that unless they were still babies. I'd be afraid they would be killing each other on the way home.
That's great that the visit went well. They are in great shape for being 13. Absolute little angels too. You've looked after them very well.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:45 AM
-

Good that your vet didn't push more vaccines on them

I can't believe Tabitha is still peeing all over the place