Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 25th, 2010, 07:48 PM

Question 8 month Lab won't stop biting and jumping on me

I need some help. My 8 month old lab is having crazy moments..she will jump up at me, and bite me...I know it's all in play, cuz her tail is wagging, but no matter what I do, I can't make her stop! It REALLY hurts. When I give the stern NO, she puts her butt in the air and barks, and then starts jumping and biting again.

And before anyone assumes..I NEVER rough played with her as a lil pup..NEVER. I totally believe she is fighting with me to gain dominance.

I have tried all the methods, from yelping and walking away (which only results in her getting more excited and coming up behind me and biting me from behind).

I have tried grabbing her mouth and saying a mean NO, that only results in her biting me when I let go.

I have used the "claw" method and hold her to the ground, where she just kicks her way free and continues to jump and bite me.

I know Im not suppose to hit her, and I will admit I have smacked her on the nose when she gets me too hard (not on purpose, but it's reflex from the nip).

This usually all begins after we play ball outside, or when we get home from our walk and I take her off her leash.

While on her leash, she's perfect, in her crate, she's perfect....supper time she's perfect...I just can't play with this pup without her getting wayyyy too wild.

I always end up having to give her time out and put her in her crate. Where she'll just look at me, lay down and start chewing on her bone, like nothing happened.

Any thoughts?????
Jenn
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Doggie Wench

This is how dogs play with each other...it would seem she wants to play with you but hasn't learned that you don't accept that type of play. I really believe it has nothing to do with dominance issues, a term frequently misunderstood and overused to explain normal dog behavior that people simply don't understand. Have you taught her to inhibit her bite when she was a puppy? Taught her a solid "sit" yet? If she's taught an opposing behavior, she can't be jumping up on you at the same time. Have you looked into any fun training classes?

First thing you have to stop doing is reacting to her. Because she's 8 months old, yelping on your part will get her excited (we use yelping with the tiny pups up to 3-4 months). If you give her any attention at all, including grabbing her mouth, the claw method, shouting, etc., you're reinforcing her behavior as you've explained is already happening. I think a good training school that will teach you how to teach her will help immensely.
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Doggie Wench

Here's a video that might give you some ideas on how to set up training sessions to teach your pup what to do rather than what not to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC_OKgQFgzw

Another neat video that demonstrates putting "jazz up" and "settle" on cue.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/videos/c...ping-shelter-0

And if you register (it's free) at www.clickertraining.com , you'll be able to access all sorts of articles and videos that will help with your situation.
Old August 26th, 2010, 06:35 AM

You hit the nail on the head

First thing you have to stop doing is reacting to her. Because she's 8 months old, yelping on your part will get her excited (we use yelping with the tiny pups up to 3-4 months). If you give her any attention at all, including grabbing her mouth, the claw method, shouting, etc., you're reinforcing her behavior as you've explained is already happening. I think a good training school that will teach you how to teach her will help immensely.

What you said here, is EXACTLY what is happening.
We've been to obedience...and when she has her leash on, she listens and behaves perfectly, it's when the "gloves" are off that it's no holds bar! lol

Any suggestions what to do when it starts?

I got her at 9 wks, and tried the bite inhibition thing and it didn't work then!
I watched her play with her brothers at 7 wks of age, and she was the same with them as me, one would yelp cuz she had hold of him but she wouldn't let go, the breeder had to go and seperate them. (Yes I know, that should of been my first clue). lol

Thx for the links too, I'll go see them!
Jenn
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy252 View Post
We've been to obedience...and when she has her leash on, she listens and behaves perfectly, it's when the "gloves" are off that it's no holds bar! lol

I got her at 9 wks, and tried the bite inhibition thing and it didn't work then!
I watched her play with her brothers at 7 wks of age, and she was the same with them as me, one would yelp cuz she had hold of him but she wouldn't let go, the breeder had to go and seperate them. (Yes I know, that should of been my first clue). lol

Thx for the links too, I'll go see them!
Jenn
How long did you try "the bite inhibition thing"? Redirecting and treating works but it can take quite a bit of time and is something that MUST be done consistently. And it DOES work.

You say you went to class. Does this mean you are done? Sounds like you need to look into some more classes.

I don't have a lab but my now 1 year old puppy will be in classes consistently for the next couple of years.
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Mandy, I have to agree that reacting to her is not helping. If your lab is anything like mine she is very food motivated. I would try two things. When you are playing with her and she's very wound up, call her over and make her sit and give her a treat then let her go and play again. It may help her to learn to calm down on command. Also, when she is getting too aggressive with you you need to give her a sit/stay command and reward her with a small treat. You need to reward her immediately and then redirect her to some other calmer activity. Your dog is a teenager right now and will certainly be trying to test you at every opportunity. I don't think she's trying to dominate you either, I think she's just challenging you to get you going like a kid would. Don't buy into it. It will likely pass but you can work with her. And yes, continued obedience training is a must. Good luck to you with your pup, she'll learn, but you must be consistent with her.
Old August 26th, 2010, 04:36 PM

Will Do

I will definitely try your advice with the treats. and see where that gets me.

She went to her first obedience classes and she will go again for the advanced lessons in september.

I had another labrador before (she passed last july age 13.5), but I really don't remember this craziness. But then again, we had a cat back then, and she would torment it instead of me LOL I think now that perhaps the cat taught her about playing nice.

I will do as you guys suggest and let you know!!!

Thanks so much!
Jenn
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:23 PM

She gets lots of exercise right? I mean off leash or running with a bike til she's good and tired exercise? And social time with other dogs?
Labs need a LOT of exercise. A casual leash walk won't tire them out and they'll be looking for some trouble to get into.
Just my two cents.
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:38 PM

Indeed

Yes, definitely. We walk in the morning before I go to work (only 20 min) and then after supper we go for an hour walk. After that we come home, and play in the back yard for another good 30-45 min. I can tell when she's tired cuz she gets bags under her eyes.

Mind you, this past week we had to tone it down a bit as she just had surgery for being spayed. But prior to this, yes I've learned how important exercise is for her. She's been acting up like this pretty much since I got her, so it's not just this past week.

I really appreciate all the tips and advice and will make sure I got treats in my pocket when it's play time. When the craziness starts, I will bring out a treat and make her sit and give it to her when she's calm.

I will also stop with reacting to her behaviour.
Thankfully, 95% of the time she is an excellent pup. But Im bound and determined to correct that other 5%, as we don't have children and I would hate to have her hurt a child.

Unfortunately she doesn't get socialized with other dogs at the moment (cuz of her spaying), but in a week's time, we will be bringing back her friend to visit once a week for her play time again.

Jenn
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:05 PM
You can call me DOG!

Time to break out the lime Mandy252!

Yes--natural lime (not lemons). Cut a wedge of lime and keep it within arms reach. When she starts to get agressive and unwanted behaviour is present, take the lime and gently squeeze it onto the tip of her nose and gentle rub with a fingerpoint and quite yet stern NO.

We've used limes on all our pups and stops them dead in their track. Over a period of a couple weeks, she'll sense that the bad behaviour and the taste of lime are things she and her human friends don't need anymore.

Just a suggestion and it worked for us!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy252 View Post
I suggest you don't let it start at all by setting up frequent sessions throughout the day, for as long as it takes her to learn what it is you do want from her as demonstrated in the first video. Don't wait for her to act in order for you to react. You act first by teaching her.

A little example to explain why positive punishment doesn't really give you the results you're seeking...A child's first day in math class, she's given a test on something she's never learned before. Every time she writes down the wrong answer, the teacher pinches her. What does she learn? To stop what she's doing. But she still hasn't learned to solve the problems.

The alternative? The teacher explains and demonstrates how to solve a problem, the student attempts it on her own. If she gets it correct, she's given "yes!" or an A on her test, or a sticker, etc. The positive reinforcements let her know that she got the right answers and chances are, she'll remember how to solve the same problems in the future.

If you're interested in learning more about applying this sort of training with your pup, I'm sure you'll enjoy the book, The Power Of Positive Dog Training, 2nd edition, by Pat Miller. It's simple to understand and really does work .
Old August 27th, 2010, 06:32 AM

awesome tips!

You folks are awesome, thanks for the support in this.
I'll def try the lime too!

I still gotta watch the videos...silly work has me pinned the last couple of days...but I'm goin to sit down this sunday and concentrate on all these ideas!

Wonderful folks you are!
jenn
Old September 19th, 2010, 08:51 PM

We're Gettin' there!

Well it's been 3 weeks since I've written you fine folks, and happy to say we've only had one episode of the biting. It was then that I got her with bitter apple, she backed off...and hasn't attacked me since.

We now play soccer in the backyard, and I'm able to pick up the ball without her goin crazy on me!!! Yeahhhh!!!

We've begun our level 2 of obedience training and the first day went awesome! It's so much fun!

Anyway...thanks one and all for the advice, just wanted to let you know we're making progress!!

Jenn