Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 24th, 2006, 12:33 PM

Why is she doing this?

Well as i been braggin, Valentine hasnt peed in her box since i moved her into our bedroom. Well now she is making it a point to pee in the house now. She went from peeing in her box to peeing in the house. She would have an accident ever so often, but now, shes making it to be more then ever so often, shes peed in the house twice already this week. I dont understand. And no she dont have a UTI!! We chain her out on a chain to use the bathroom now, cause everytime we let her out, she runs to our other dog outback and wont potty. So we chain her out. and leave her out for bout 15 mins or so and let her back in, well we did this yesterday and she wasnt in the house a half hour and cocked in the floor and peed. I was sooooooooooo mad after just letting her in. She is starting to do this alot now and i dont understand why. Hubby put her back outside he tried to get her to come in and she wouldnt listen to him, she kept running from him. For some reason yesterday she would not listen to hubby or i whatsoever. She ran to our other dog and just sat there and would not come to us. Ticked us off actually!! What is her deal lately. I dont get it.
Old July 24th, 2006, 03:01 PM

Hi =)

She's still pretty young isn't she? (Sorry, I can't remember)

I would say she doesn't understand that she's supposed to "go" outside. What I would do (and what I did when my girl was a pup) was go outside with her .. in fact, I still do that 99% of the time and she's now 2 years old!! That way I can make sure she has in fact gone to the bathroom before we go back in and I can praise her for going in the right place when she does.

It sounds like she's too busy having fun outside to bother going - which, to me, is understandable =) So I would take her out, probably on her leash and mosey around until she went - then I would have a play with her and your other dog.

I found the mistake I made in the beginning with my pup was - - we'd go for a pee, then come in and she learnt that the longer she didn't go, the longer we stayed outside. So, I reversed it so she was no longer holding it in and we still played.

So, I'd start going out with her, getting her to go, praise, praise, praise and have a little fun!!
Old July 24th, 2006, 05:03 PM

I think if you go out with her, she'll feel more secure and go outside. The world is a scary place for a dog outside all alone, and it sounds like she's asking the other dog for comfort too... Dogs are very social, and a dog isn't likely to do anything when you throw it in the back yard alone.
Old July 24th, 2006, 05:23 PM
-

I agree. You should be going out there with her not putting her out there on a chain and leaving her. Once she goes give her lots of praise and then bring her back in the house.
Old July 24th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Valentine hasnt peed in her box since i moved her into our bedroom
what do you mean by box?????

Also I have to ditto everyone else, perhaps go out with her. Might help.
Could also be for attention, ( IM not implying you dont give your dog attention by all means) some dogs will do anything for attention because even negative attention is attention.
Old July 24th, 2006, 05:35 PM

You might want to go back to jeannie's old posts and read about the box...
Old July 24th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Oh i see now
Old July 24th, 2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310
Oh i see now
lol I thought you would...
Old July 24th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with going out with her, but also, maybe keeping your other dog inside until after she's peed would help, because you've removed a major distraction.
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310
what do you mean by box?????

Also I have to ditto everyone else, perhaps go out with her. Might help.
Could also be for attention, ( IM not implying you dont give your dog attention by all means) some dogs will do anything for attention because even negative attention is attention.

its her crate, we call it her box. Sorry if i confused u lol
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:31 PM

Yes she is 7 months old

Quote:
Originally Posted by les
Hi =)

She's still pretty young isn't she? (Sorry, I can't remember)

I would say she doesn't understand that she's supposed to "go" outside. What I would do (and what I did when my girl was a pup) was go outside with her .. in fact, I still do that 99% of the time and she's now 2 years old!! That way I can make sure she has in fact gone to the bathroom before we go back in and I can praise her for going in the right place when she does.

It sounds like she's too busy having fun outside to bother going - which, to me, is understandable =) So I would take her out, probably on her leash and mosey around until she went - then I would have a play with her and your other dog.

I found the mistake I made in the beginning with my pup was - - we'd go for a pee, then come in and she learnt that the longer she didn't go, the longer we stayed outside. So, I reversed it so she was no longer holding it in and we still played.

So, I'd start going out with her, getting her to go, praise, praise, praise and have a little fun!!
Old July 28th, 2006, 01:07 AM

If your dog is 7months old, it's pretty normal for dogs not to listen to you (I'm not sure about the peeing part but...) because 7months is about a teenager age in doggy years so, think about it, do you always listen to your parents when you were a teen? Dogs are the same, you need to be paient with her. Try keeping her in a box/crate for an hour and every hour let her out and watch her after she pees lock her back in her box/crate (oh and put some food or something in there so she will have something to do in there for the hour). And you said you have another dog, so try to put your other dog somewhere else out of valentine's way so she wouldn't see your other dog... And wait til you see her pee and do that until you think she will not pee...
Hope this helps!