Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I learnt something new about Jarrah this morning. I left my hubby in charge of the dogs while I went to water the front garden, he was supposed to keep an eye out for snakes seeing it is a hot day. When I returned here is Jarrah walking around with something in her mouth but luckily it was a blue tongue lizard about 5 or 6 inches long, and thank heaven, it was alive. I just hope I don't come back next time to find her carrying a snake! I gave the lizard a quick 'sloosh' through the bird bath to get her saliva off it, then released it into my Iceberg rose bed area, where she can't get to it. When I looked again it was gone into hiding, so that's a good sign. Evidently she has a soft mouth. As for hubby he said he didn't know she had it because he couldn't see her....and that's what he calls supervising the dogs.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:33 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

That's a good thing she is soft mouthed and the lizard wasnt hurt.that wouldn't have been good if it was a snake.
Old November 24th, 2012, 02:22 AM
Senior Contributor

No, if it was a snake you'd want her to kill it quick, or leave it totally alone. I'll be worried during every Summer unless I can put the fear of doG into her!
Old November 24th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

She is better off leaving them alone not knowing if their poisonous or not.
all we have here in my part of ontario is non venomous snakes and my buddy is scared of snakes and his old cat used to bring them home.
Old November 24th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Senior Contributor

All the snakes in my part of Australia are deadly ones unfortunately. Tiger snakes, Eastern Browns, Copperheads and Red-bellied black snakes.
Old November 24th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Oh wow. so you have to be carefull and keep your eyes open when out in the gardens and grass and bush areas.
Old November 25th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, and it's bad if you have a cattle dog that hunts non-stop, or one like in the past, she would get jittery and act like she was walking on egg shells and you knew there was a snake nearby. If she jumped suddenly or shied away from a grassy area it nearly gave ME a heart attack! LOL. Poor girl had been living with a snake visiting mouse holes under the concrete floor of her yard though, so no wonder she was freaked out. We got rid of that snake once we knew it was there, and its mate.
Old November 25th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

atleast she gives a sign there is a snake near by if she acts like that.hopefully she still has the sence to stay away and not hunt them.i like snakes just want nothing to do with the poisonous ones
Old November 25th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, this will sound crazy only to those who don't like snakes. I actually don't want to stop them visiting, I want to stop Jarrah from hunting them, or lizards. In summer there is no water over in the forest so I expect snakes would come to our dam and that should be allowed. They will always look for mice around the buildings, or frogs at the dam, fact of life, I just have to cure Jarrah of her total obsession of going after anything that moves.
Old November 25th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Doesnt sound crazy at all. when my friend rented a farm wanted the coyotes to stay on the farm property so they would not be killed when the city was trying to pass a shoot on site bylaw. the only time they would stay away for a week is if jag had been at the farm marking his territory. hopefully you can get that girlie over her obsession.
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Senior Contributor

She's pretty smart and it'll be a loooong hot summer this year, so she'll soon learn how much I disapprove of her antics. Your friend must be a true animal lover to want to protect the coyotes, good on her. It's why I get cranky about the local farm boys shooting kangaroos in the forest opposite us.They have lost their natural habitat and the forest is their only refuge, so they should be left in peace I think.
Old November 26th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Yes she is used to get deer all the time too.they werent being dangerous so it was best thing.
Old December 14th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Senior Contributor

This is the one that got away. A blue tongue I found when weeding the garden yesterday. The annoying thing is that they are good fellows, eating snails, slugs and the like, but I have to shift them on for fear Jarrah will kill them. And kill one she did, I found her with a baby again, dead this time.
Anyway, this adult lizard wasn't pleased with me shifting it. If you are walking in the bush here and suddenly one hisses and opens its mouth like that next to you it can give you a real fright. Fair enough though, they don't want to be stepped on.
Attached Images

Old December 14th, 2012, 09:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I can see where it gets its name!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 14th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, hope I never open my mouth and find my tongue that colour. LOL.
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

That would be so cool to see stuff like that in your back yard. i like lizards.
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Senior Contributor

It's OK so long as you recognize the fact that any strawberries or mulberries are being grown for the blue tongues(and Jarrah).
They are big sleepy lizards, and I imagine often kept as pets.
Old December 15th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

They sell them here in pet stores. so you have to be quick and get yours before jarrah and the lizards or its a snooze you lose moment
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Jarrah had a vet visit yesterday, to have a swab done for a DNA test, the rcd4 gene which causes late onset blindness in ACD's, a mutated form of Progressive Retinal Atrophy. So, hope you'll keep fingers crossed for us, clear or carrier is fine, we don't want to find she is effected. I also asked could they check out her ears as she often acts as if they are worrying her but it was only loose hairs. As usual she behaved for both vets beautifully, our only hassle for the day was getting her back into her cage in the car. The words lead bum spring to mind. No way known will she help. I got my revenge by starting her on a weight reducing diet, LOL. In this photo she was enjoying the Spring sunshine, though the look on her face could mean "Oh no, I'm going to starve!"
Attached Images

Old October 8th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Senior Contributor

And the good news is .... Clear/Normal for rcd-4. (Doing a happy dance!!) I was a bit worried that being a carrier of PRA she might also be for rcd -4, but that is silly, two different genes.
Old October 8th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Fuzz Lover

I don't know what all those mean, but good news is good news! lol
Old October 8th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

We have DNA tests for 3 eye problems that Australian Cattle Dogs can get, Progressive Retinal Atrophy, the dogs can go blind at any age, rcd-4 that is a mutated form of that, this is responsible for late onset blindness, and Primary Lens Luxation, which might be the nastiest, it can lead on to Glaucoma and blindness or the dog even having to lose an eye(s). The DNA tests are a blessing , there is now no excuse for effected dogs to be born.
Old November 5th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Hate the hot weather and ripe mulberries, it so attracts blue tongue lizards to the fruit. Jarrah killed a young one yesterday with one pounce and snap at it, then today a big one was killed by an unknown culprit. May have been Roo or Jarrah. Hubby was supposed to be supervising their exercise but by the time I was alerted to something wrong, with Dundee after a third lizard, not his usual bark, it was too late to save the second one. I did pick up the third one and pop it over the fence to safety. I wish they'd leave them alone, they're the good guys in the garden, eating snails and slugs. Neither of the cattle dogs were revved up, they were both trying to look innocent. We'll have to go back to searching for them before we let dogs loose.
Old November 5th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah - nope, can't see myself checking the yard for lizzards before I put the dogs out!
Old November 5th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Can't possibly happen, DD? Lucky you. Have to keep track of even the dead ones here or Roo is likely to stash one away, beside a potted rose(eeewww! the stink!) to bring out later and roll on. LOL
Old November 6th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

LOL - nope, can't possibly happen here. Now they may grab me a rat if they get a chance! Ewww Roo, don't roll on dead lizards. Lupa picks up worms all the time, not sure what she'd do if she found a slug though, and I honestly don't want to think about it.
Old November 6th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Now, see, I am really, really scared of rats! If a dog killed one, or even came at me carrying a live one, I would run for the hills. LOL. Took me a long time just to get used to mice, which can (rarely) occur in plague proportions in this grain growing area I'm in, but the last rat I saw was in my parent's house when I was a kid. No, sorry, there were a lot at a stud farm I worked at. I felt safe there because we had a cat that was an excellent ratter. Why on earth would Lupa pick up worms? I show the big ones to my dogs sometimes but none want to touch them. Eeeewww on the slug idea too, I had a vision of her opening her mouth and one sitting there happily(?) on her big tongue. YUK!
Old November 7th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

As far as I can tell Lupa eats the worms if she is in the mood. How lucky am I with what Nikki eats and what Lupa eats!! I try to pick up the big worms after the rain so she can't eat them, but just getting them on a stick makes my stomach roll. If I catch her eating a slug she's outta here... well okay not really.. but I won't be happy - and thank you for the visual you gave me! lol
Old November 7th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Senior Contributor

My pleasure, DD. You know, down in Gippsland they have giant earthworms, so big that I believe they can be heard moving in the ground. A friend had a cattle dog called Basil(a female called Basil??) and she'd say to her "Worms, Basil! Where are the worms?", whereupon Basil would start bouncing around the lawn, or should I say pouncing. Looked so funny. LOL. Lupa would have liked Basil, Basil could have found them for Lupa to eat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Gippsland_earthworm
Old November 7th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Yes, hope I never open my mouth and find my tongue that colour. LOL.
If you eat a lot blueberries you might find it that color.