Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old January 19th, 2008, 01:53 PM

New to this Forum and BARF

So I am new here. This is my first thread and post. Looks like there is a lot of great info here, so I will be on here a lot soaking in all this great info ... I have a 7 year old chocolate lab, about 100lbs, male. Just put Hudson on the BARF diet. It has been one week and already his coat is looking more shiny. I put him on because he was scratching all the time. The scratching is still there, less, but still there. I assume it will be at least a few more weeks before it really goes away. Right now I am giving him chicken carcasses, feet and beef liver. I will start him on fish soon. Any fish that I should avoid? What other types of meats/bones can I give him?
Old January 19th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Doggie Wench

Welcome rearnakedchoke .

Our three dogs are also fed a raw diet. The threads on raw feeding here in the food forum will give you a nice variety of ideas. In addition to several really good books, this is one of the sites that helped answer all the questions I had, and then some.

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

We feed chicken carcass and necks, whole small chickens including gizzards, any type of beef muscle including heart, kidney, veal liver, pork ribs, quail, sardines, tilapia, mackerel, salmon, and every now and then rabbit and duck. They will also occasionally get green beef tripe. Several times a week we add whole eggs, a whole assortment of raw blended veggies, and sometimes fruit. I choose to add some vitamin supplements and herbs but don't recommend it until you've researched it thoroughly.

Has Hudson been seen by a vet for his scratching? What did he/she say?

I'll also add here, I'd love to see pics of your boy .
Old January 19th, 2008, 02:25 PM

I'd like to eventually switch to raw (Laurie says no we won't!), but I'm curious as to what he was being fed before? I've read that it can take 6 weeks for the effects of poor quality dog food to leave it's system completely.
Old January 19th, 2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Welcome rearnakedchoke .

Our three dogs are also fed a raw diet. The threads on raw feeding here in the food forum will give you a nice variety of ideas. In addition to several really good books, this is one of the sites that helped answer all the questions I had, and then some.

http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

We feed chicken carcass and necks, whole small chickens including gizzards, any type of beef muscle including heart, kidney, veal liver, pork ribs, quail, sardines, tilapia, mackerel, salmon, and every now and then rabbit and duck. They will also occasionally get green beef tripe. Several times a week we add whole eggs, a whole assortment of raw blended veggies, and sometimes fruit. I choose to add some vitamin supplements and herbs but don't recommend it until you've researched it thoroughly.

Has Hudson been seen by a vet for his scratching? What did he/she say?

I'll also add here, I'd love to see pics of your boy .
Thanks for the info lucky ... The vet said it was a food allergy, said to switch and gave some drugs ... the drugs made him very hyper and jumpy and he started going through and ripping up the garbage which he never does ... do you feed the fish whole? i have read this is the way to do it, but not sure ... i will be sure to add pics of hudson real soon
Old January 19th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
I'd like to eventually switch to raw (Laurie says no we won't!), but I'm curious as to what he was being fed before? I've read that it can take 6 weeks for the effects of poor quality dog food to leave it's system completely.
Hey ... Hudson was on kibble and I did the switch cold turkey (no pun intended) ... i started with chicken wings and feet and now give him the carcasses and beef liver ... since it has only been a week, i am hoping that he will really improve ... i thought that the quick switch may be a problem for him, but he was real good with it ... i should have done it sooner
Old January 19th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
I'd like to eventually switch to raw (Laurie says no we won't!),...
That's what Hubby said too...he also said "no more dogs" but was easily convinced otherwise . As long as I prepare it, he now has no problems feeding it. Especially after seeing the difference it made to their health, not to mention they love it! No more picky eaters in this house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
... do you feed the fish whole? i have read this is the way to do it, but not sure ...
Only the small sardines and mackerel. I cut chunks off Salmon and tilapia filets. I've read it's ok to feed them whole as well but am still a little cautious as to what bones they get. They're all scarfers and often don't chew properly so I take extra care with what they get in terms of bones.
Old January 20th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Swift Tribe

rearnakedchoke do you plan on eventually feeding nonmeat items??

i also have a lab! i took Mister in to get weighed and we are looking at 95lbs. he is only 15 months (give or take, not enough coffee to COUNT this morning!!) at what point do you think your pooch stopped growing?

we have had him on a homemade diet for several months now. i think it took 2 or 3 weeks for the itchies to fully go away. we started out feeding only meats but found it to be more convenient to also give him our leftovers from us and the kids. through out all of the variety in leftovers, we havent had another bout with itchies although the few times we ahve tried kibbles he got itchy within a few hours through the next day.

also, dont get paranoid about the itchies. i did.! it was hard to remember dogs itchy!!

i was so bad, last night i boiled a whole chicken (WHOOPS pilfering from teh pets food!! ) to make chicken soup and gave him all the skin and cast off meat. im so bad but he sure liked it.

we have many members here who feed a raw diet and i dont think any two are alike (maybe we shoudl start another thread for this sort of thing?? hmm...) how do YOU raw feed so far?? do you feed supplements??

i think i will start a new thread.

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
rearnakedchoke do you plan on eventually feeding nonmeat items??

i also have a lab! i took Mister in to get weighed and we are looking at 95lbs. he is only 15 months (give or take, not enough coffee to COUNT this morning!!) at what point do you think your pooch stopped growing?

we have had him on a homemade diet for several months now. i think it took 2 or 3 weeks for the itchies to fully go away. we started out feeding only meats but found it to be more convenient to also give him our leftovers from us and the kids. through out all of the variety in leftovers, we havent had another bout with itchies although the few times we ahve tried kibbles he got itchy within a few hours through the next day.

also, dont get paranoid about the itchies. i did.! it was hard to remember dogs itchy!!

i was so bad, last night i boiled a whole chicken (WHOOPS pilfering from teh pets food!! ) to make chicken soup and gave him all the skin and cast off meat. im so bad but he sure liked it.

we have many members here who feed a raw diet and i dont think any two are alike (maybe we shoudl start another thread for this sort of thing?? hmm...) how do YOU raw feed so far?? do you feed supplements??

i think i will start a new thread.

-ash
right now it is just the chicken and no supplements .. i have heard fish oil is a good supplement that will help his coat ... i will try after a little more research ... he seems to be enjoying it so far ... hudson stopped growing after a couple years i believe .. he had a big dad (115lbs) ... so i figure 100lbs for him is good .. i think if i gave him scraps from us he would start itching again, so for now i will just give him the raw food ... i plan on giving fish and other meats, but for the next while, he will just be on the chicken
Old January 22nd, 2008, 09:14 AM
Swift Tribe

sorry, to answer one of your initial questions, i *think* uncooked unfrozen northern salmon is to be avoided and just plain tuna also. im not sure what else. what sort of fish are you feeding now?? just curious!! my guys (and gals) get talapia, salmon, mackarel and sardines. anchovies didnt go down well for soem reason!

my Mister is 16 months old??? something like that.

(did you post any pictures? i dont recall seeing any pictures.....)

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)