Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old December 4th, 2010, 10:28 AM

Cayenne im on the south side of edmonton i will try and keep an eye out here its a long shot but any help is good help
Old December 6th, 2010, 12:06 PM

thank you guys

I will post once I will find my "baby"
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:01 AM

Good & bad

Good news - my neighbor (less than a block away from me) saw my boy; his kid described "i saw a tiger cat"
Bad news - I can not find him...by the time the guy pulled into his garage, went to take a look at my flayer, call me, by the time I drove there from work, my baby was not anywhere close. I spend next 2 hours looking for him, calling him..but nothing...

but at least I know that my baby is alive and in the area...just hope he will find his way back home.
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

That is good news . If he is really scared, he may not come out. I know it seems hard to believe, but I have had it happen with my Jasper last year. He was only feet away from me in long grass (about 4 feet tall) and wouldn't come out when I was calling him only feet away. He let out the tiniest of mews that I barely heard and I actually had to pick him up, he wouldn't come out, he was so scared. And this is a cat who comes running every time somebody calls his name.

Can you put out a live trap? I bet he is not far from where he was spotted.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

L4 and Cayenne,that's what I was thinking too,the only way to catch him if he is close by is a trap,it could be left near the neighbors house in an area with bushes.
Maybe the neighbor will cooperate and look after the trap
I am glad he's been seen,it could be possible another neighbor is feeding him
Our Humane Society lends out humane traps,maybe yours does too..
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:49 AM
banned user

That is the best news....like L4H says they are not the same cat when they are in an environment that is strange to them.
He needs to come home....it is getting cold out there.
I know how hard this has been for you...but at least now you know
he is out there, just keep doing what you have been doing and consider the live trap.
Old December 8th, 2010, 10:59 AM

My only concern is that there are so many rabbits in our area. Will a trap work or I will end up catching only rabbits?
Old December 8th, 2010, 11:06 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenne View Post
My only concern is that there are so many rabbits in our area. Will a trap work or I will end up catching only rabbits?
In the past three years my live trap is set probably 75% of the time. I have caught raccoons, a couple of possums, and lots of kitties. Never ever have I caught a rabbit. They just are not interested in the food that should be baiting the trap.
You may catch a skunk. Simple matter of dropping a towel/blanket over the trap which should be over it anyway, moving the trap to a spot conducive for releasing the skunk, and opening the trap while standing behind it. The skunk will waddle off without spraying you if you remain calm. Chances of catching a skunk is small as well.
You may even catch other cats. If that is the case simply release it. Once trapped a cat will not go back into the trap unless it is absolutely starving and wants the food.
Good luck.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

What great news that Cayenne is still out there and alive. I have to agree that a live trap is probaby your best bet. 14+ has tons of experience with traps and can give you great advice on how to set it and what to bait it with. Something stinky - think sardines or tuna. Blanket over the top of it. Good luck!
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I too have had traps out and once I caught a Raccoon and another time a neighbors cat,they don't get hurt,you just have to release them.
I agree with 14+,rabbits would not be interested in cat-food.
The only problem is the cold,it would freeze the food,so you might have to get some stinky dry food.
Old December 8th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Also, because of it being winter, if you use a live trap it must be checked frequently to ensure that anything you may catch does not freeze to death before you check on it! You may be able to enlist the neighbour who's property the cat was spotted on to help with this.
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:45 PM

Animal care & control does not rent live traps after October 31 (due to cold weather); they also recommended me NOT to set it up even if I will find one, again, because of weather conditions.
I put outside some dry food with fried bacon and grease from bacon, so at least it stinks. not my baby's fav. food...well, not at all, but at least it is something...
I also will go out tonight carrying a bag of mix of dry food, bacon with grease, so he might smell it and might come out of wherever he is hiding...

it is going to be -21 tonight, snowing and with wind..I HAVE to find him!!!
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:19 PM
banned user

Is it far from where you live that he was seen? It is getting so cold I hope you find him soon....sending good vibes you find him tonight!
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:46 PM

for finding him tonight
Old December 9th, 2010, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1011 View Post
Is it far from where you live that he was seen?
this is my neighbor form down the street, approx. 20 houses away

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I t
I agree with 14+,rabbits would not be interested in cat-food.
just witnessed rabbit eating cat's dry food. I put it just outside my backyard (we facing the ravine). Went to check, and yeah...the food is gone...maybe rabbits in our area are special? maybe it is just the quality of the food...

No signs of my boy, I've been searching for about 3 hours, walked two areas twice, was calling and calling...
it is cold and snowing..

I only hope that if he was able to survive for 3 weeks, he might survive for a little bit longer...until I find him
Old December 9th, 2010, 02:02 AM

14+...
I don;t question your experience and I really apprecaiate all your advises, but I have to agree with Animal control here: "It is too cold for an animal to be trapped in a metal cage, and not be able to move around. This is why we do not rent traps starting November and till April, and stronly suggest to not set up any traps...It can only make it worse for the animal"
I was trying to tell the lady that I have to catch my cat, but she was really convincing, and I see her point.
Maybe, if it would not be this cold, live trap would BE a solution, but for now, I put outside Cayenne's kennel with some of food inside.
I just hope that since he has been spotted, he is on his way home
Old December 9th, 2010, 02:04 AM

Just wanted to pass along some , & ers

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old December 9th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
14+...
I don;t question your experience and I really apprecaiate all your advises, but I have to agree with Animal control here: "It is too cold for an animal to be trapped in a metal cage, and not be able to move around. This is why we do not rent traps starting November and till April, and stronly suggest to not set up any traps...It can only make it worse for the animal"
I was trying to tell the lady that I have to catch my cat, but she was really convincing, and I see her point.
Maybe, if it would not be this cold, live trap would BE a solution, but for now, I put outside Cayenne's kennel with some of food inside.
It is also cruel to let your cat die of starvation, or get hit by a car, or caught by coyotes, or freeze to death. Need I go on? Animal control is right, an animal can freeze to death in a trap, this is why you would need cooperation from the people where the trap is set to be checked on regularly. When I set my trap out in the winter I use an old wool army blanket to put around the trap to keep any critter protected from the cold and wind.

I know if it was my cat, I would be doing what ever it took to get it back home.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 9th, 2010, 08:09 AM
banned user

I agree with the others Cayenne, a trap is probably your best bet if you want to get him home safe.
I would have set a trap for Sable if he had been spotted that close to where he went missing...even if it meant manning it all night...I was searching and awake worrying anyway so may as well have done something constructive.
We only caught a raccoon and all that was wrong with him is he was a litte p.ssed off he had got caught!
If your cover the trap cage as L4H mentioned so there is no direct draft, and check the trap often should be ok. Animal Control do not have the man power to keep check on the traps.
You can buy them for not too many $$ and then you can donate to Animal Control after you catch him.
Fingers crossed you catch you guy soon.
Old December 9th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
14+...
That's ridiculous. There's a group here in Calgary called the MEOW Foundation, and they trap all winter long. Cat's lives depend on it. The key is to monitor the traps regularly, as Love4 said, and to cover it with a blanket. Don't set the trap if you don't think you can check it every couple hours. Seriously, I think the only way you're going to get your cat back is to get a trap.

As for the rabbits eating the cat food: did you actually SEE the rabbits do it? And if you set the trap with something like sardines or tuna, you aren't going to catch a rabbit.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 9th, 2010, 08:45 AM
banned user

Now that you mention it SCM, there was a group up in Orillia that trapped all winter....it certainly doesn't hurt the animal even if it's Peppy L'pew....but at least that way Cayenne you wouldn't always wonder..what if I tried a trap! I have those regrets everyday with what I didn't do! I was surprised to see how inexpensive the traps are when I saw them in a farm flyer a few weeks ago...well inexpensive compared to the cost of advertising and gas costs that I spent.
Old December 9th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Cayenne,I don't know if you've already done this,but I would go and knock on every door in the neighborhood where he was sighted,check their backyards.
For him to have survived this long in the cold,someone must be feeding him..some people just don't look at posters

As for Animal Control,they must know,an animal can freeze to death just falling asleep in that cold,whether it be a trap or just under a bush....he needs to be found.

Actually,when I was trapping a little stray,Humane Society told me not to leave it out after I've gone to bed and I usually brought it inside after midnight.
I still managed to trap the cat,since it got dark really early
Luckily he was micro-chipped and his owners picked him up,at HS.
Old December 9th, 2010, 09:03 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
just witnessed rabbit eating cat's dry food. I put it just outside my backyard (we facing the ravine). Went to check, and yeah...the food is gone...maybe rabbits in our area are special? maybe it is just the quality of the food...
Oh my! Yes, a rabbit will eat dry cat food. You do not bait a live trap with dry cat food. You bait it with tuna, salmon, really stinky cat food, even catnip if all else fails. Dry cat food will not attract a cat.

Quote:
14+...
Hate to say it but Animal Control doesn't always know what they are doing. The purpose of a live trap when catching a cat is not to leave it alone for hours upon hours. Especially in winter weather. You also do not put a live trap out in the open. Most cats on the prowl will stick to areas where they can slink from one sheltered spot to another. It's a question of survival. A live trap should be set as close to a heavily sheltered area as possible, covered with a heavy blanket to cut as many drafts as possible, and monitored hourly or constantly from a safe distance (as to not scare away the cat). The rescue I work through to get my cats fixed - over 60 so far - uses traps all year round. They have a very proven track record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
It is also cruel to let your cat die of starvation, or get hit by a car, or caught by coyotes, or freeze to death. Need I go on? Animal control is right, an animal can freeze to death in a trap, this is why you would need cooperation from the people where the trap is set to be checked on regularly. When I set my trap out in the winter I use an old wool army blanket to put around the trap to keep any critter protected from the cold and wind.

I know if it was my cat, I would be doing what ever it took to get it back home.
THANK YOU!!!

I sincerely hope this is your cat. It's amazing what a child would consider a "tiger cat". You also must remember you are dealing with a breed that is not so far off being a wild animal. JMO I wish you luck.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; December 9th, 2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old December 9th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I have set out live traps for cats in the winter, wrapped in heavy blankets and in sheltered areas away from the elements. When I set the traps (close to my office) I checked every 15 minutes. I dismantled them when I was not there. I was able to trap the cats and get them somewhere safe.

14+K, Sugarcatmom, Chico and other cat savvy people seriously know exactly what they are talking about. I sincerely hope that you follow their instructions as they are an incredible wealth of information.
Old December 9th, 2010, 07:01 PM

ok, I finally found the place where I can rent a trap - exterminators. I will pick it up tomorrow, set it up, and will get my boy back (this is my mantra....I rely on your experience).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
As for the rabbits eating the cat food: did you actually SEE the rabbits do it?
Yes, I actually saw a rabbit eating the food. I was watching through the window and then went to check it..The rabbit only ate the portion without bacon grease, so at least the stinky stuff is still out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Cayenne,I don't know if you've already done this,but I would go and knock on every door in the neighborhood where he was sighted,check their backyards.
For him to have survived this long in the cold,someone must be feeding him..some people just don't look at posters
Yes, Chico, I did talk to neighbors and still talk to whoever I can spot in my area, even if a person is passing by.
I know for the fact that some of my neighbors did set up some food in their backyards - I asked them to - right after my boy wen missing.So I hope the food is still out there.

Anyway, gonna go for search soon, hope to spot at least some of his foot prints, because I start doubting that my baby in the area. It snowed last night, so I went early in the morning to see any footprints in the ravine and just around our neighborhood. Found tons of rabbits footprints and some of dogs ones, but nothing that would look like cats. I just hope that he is hiding somewhere, and trap will work tomorrow.
Old December 9th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Lost Bengal:

Time is of the essence and a humane trap is a pretty sure-fire way of getting him safely home so best of luck tomorrow.
Old December 9th, 2010, 09:06 PM

when is the best time of the day to set up a trap? morning, evening? during the day (it is pretty quite here during the day)
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
ok, I finally found the place where I can rent a trap - exterminators. I will pick it up tomorrow, set it up, and will get my boy back (this is my mantra....I rely on your experience).
Yay!!!! When you set it up, put a blanket underneath, a large blanket on top, and if it's snowing you can put a garbage bag over that to keep it drier. Make sure nothing interferes with the door swinging shut (practice springing it just in case). Put a thinner blanket (like a baby blanket) on the floor of the trap, lightly covering the trip plate. In the back of the trap, put some really stinky food (the aforementioned sardines or tuna, Whiskas pouch food, fish flavoured Fancy Feast, etc) in a small plastic dish like an old sour cream container.

Quote:
when is the best time of the day to set up a trap? morning, evening? during the day (it is pretty quite here during the day)
My experience has been that dusk and dawn are the best times.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 9th, 2010, 11:08 PM

Thank you SCM...I will do everything you say

But what I don't understand is two things:
1) when I go out an call my baby's name, all dogs inside can hear me (they start barking), some cats and even kids can hear me too (they run to windows and watch me)...but somehow my baby cannot hear me
2) I checked all food containers I put out around the area my neighbor saw my cat at, but everything is untouched...does it mean that he is not in the area??? (the food is not frozen, I checked and made sure it is loose)

I checked some neighbors backyards with sheds and hottubs (!)..well, at least there are warm areas in our neighborhood, so my boy would not freeze

have high hopes for tomorrows trap
Old December 9th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
But what I don't understand is two things:
1) when I go out an call my baby's name, all dogs inside can hear me (they start barking), some cats and even kids can hear me too (they run to windows and watch me)...but somehow my baby cannot hear me
He may indeed be hearing you, but be too scared to come out to you. Here are some really good articles on lost cat behaviour and how best to find them:
http://www.pawswithheart.com/finding_a_lost_cat.htm
http://www.sonic.net/~pauline/profile.html

Quote:
2) I checked all food containers I put out around the area my neighbor saw my cat at, but everything is untouched...does it mean that he is not in the area???
Depends on the food you're leaving out. If it's kibble, he may not be finding it, or perhaps he's found a better food source. Or he's too scared to approach the dish. Leave out the stinkiest food possible, which tends to be fishy stuff. Some of those Fancy Feast and Whiskas flavours are so rank you could smell them a mile away. Put out fresh food frequently so the odour remains strong.