Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old August 20th, 2005, 08:40 PM

puppy food which one?

I have a bordeaux x shepheard puppy our vet suggested a large breed formular

What do you all think? he is 12 weeks
Old August 20th, 2005, 08:48 PM

Here's one: Solid Gold Wolf Cub
Tasty, but there is one St-Bernard here who tried it and got gassy. Kandy feeds it to her newf.
Old August 21st, 2005, 06:36 PM

My parents feed their golden Eukanuba (now he's on the serior large brred formula). The puppy foods made by them are fairly good (better than the IAMS brand even though its the same company) but only avaialble in pet stores. The have the puppy formulas for the various sizes of dog. Remember to switch it over a number of days, otherwise, it might get messy.

When choosing your food keep this in mind... the less they eat to be full, the less they have to poop...
Old August 21st, 2005, 07:09 PM
Owned by goldens

Puppy food

It depends on what you can afford but what I have found is that with a better quality food you will get a healthier dog and hopefully less trips to the vet with skin or ear problems.
I now feed Solid Gold, Wolf King. They do have a puppy formula called Wolf cub which is for large breed pups.
Other foods which I would recommend in order are as follows:
Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance
Wellness
Eagle Pack
Nutro
Royal Canin
There are of course other good foods but these are well known generally easy to find and have good ingredients.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 08:20 AM

What we feed

We have two adult bordeauxs and both were raised on and still eat Nutro. They were each fed Nutro large breed formula ( lamb and rice) kibble and Nutro wet puppy food. They LOVE it and have done beautifully on it.
Because Bordeauxs have sensitive stomachs, Nutro is the only food ( that is easy to find and not too expensive) that they eat without getting gassy or having stomach problems.
If you are interested, you can check out all the info on Nutro pet foods at www.nutroproducts.com.
I purchase Nutro at petcetera, and they have a frequent buyers program where you recieve 1 free bag for every 10 that you purchase. Also, Nutro sends out coupons and free bags too, with proof of purchase.

Congrats on your puppy, I am sure you will have tons of fun with him/her. Have you posted any pics yet? I would love to see them.

Here is a pic of my two bordeauxs, my vet is very pleased with their weight and general condition, their coats are always as soft as puppy fur, and they are never itchy. I was told to keep doing exactly what I have been doing because they are in fantastic shape.
Attached Images

Old August 22nd, 2005, 01:08 PM

Here I found this:
http://www.newmanveterinary.com/large.html
Here is an excerpt:
Quote:
1. Calcium: The ideal calcium content, on a dry weight basis is 0.7%-1.2%-. AAFCO recommendation is 1%-2.5% which is generally acceptable though not ideal; however, for giant breeds, such as the Great Dane, the lower end of this range is especially recommended. It is believed that calcium in excess of 3% on a dry weight basis can predispose to significant skeletal abnormalities, such as those mentioned above. Keep in mind, also, that adding of vitamins, particularly Vitamin D, will also increase absorption of dietary calcium (to possibly excessive levels).

2. Energy: If too many calories are supplied and consumed on a daily basis, too rapid growth results and the excess mass that must be supported on an immature skeleton can result in microscopic damage to skeletal tissue, with subsequent malformation and/or malarticulation of joints, degenerative changes and potentially chronic pain. For most practical purposes, energy levels in food can be extrapolated principally from dietary fat, which should be no less than 9% (AAFCO recommendation) to maximum of 12% on a dry weight basis. Total kcal/kg of food should remain in the 3.2 to 3.8 range

3. Protein: As a percent of diet on a dry weight basis should range between 15%- 27% (AAFCO recommends minumum of 22%). The ideal protein concentration is difficult to specify, since it is, in part dependent upon biological value of the protein source; (i.e. if of high biological value, then less is needed {more is assimilated} and the lower end of the range is desired). Protein markedly above the upper limit described here will be converted to energy, rather then incorporated into protein tissue. This will, therefore, add to the energy burden, and potentiate the problems associated with excess energy consumption, as described above
Wolf Cub is a bit high at 1.5% calcium. Eukanuba Large breed puppy is 0.8-0.9. Nutro Max Large breed puppy and the Natural Choice Large breed Lamb and Rice puppy are 1-1.5% Calcium, while the Natural Choice Large breed puppy formula's calcium % is not listed.... Timberwolf organics has no specified puppy food but their foods range from 1.2 to 1.8%...

Anyway, just another factor to add to the research.