Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old February 17th, 2006, 09:39 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Anything with wheat in it, which I just found out last year. I'm on a fairly forced version of high protein diet though I have to say rice pasta has grown on me

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old February 17th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Boss-lady!

Melons-I love 'em but am deathly allergic. A cantaloupe Jelly Belly jellybean caused close to anaphalactic shock once.

And I can only have peanut butter in the mornings. After that, it causes wicked heartburn. My husband has the same reaction. Guess we're not kids anymore, when we both lived on the stuff!
Old February 17th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Wow, who would have thought JellyBellies have real fruit in there!?
Old February 17th, 2006, 12:26 PM

For me its latte's or any coffee or coffee similar drinks. I feel a bit fluish after I drink them but that doesn't stop me! How can anyone study without a healthy dose of caffeine????
Old February 17th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Senior Contributor

ice cream and I are not friends, yet I try to rekindle that relationship weekly....

basically anything made with or involving milk or cream = bad things for me. yet, I absolutely refuse to give up cream in my coffee or ice cream.
Old February 17th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Corn Flakes, Shreddies, Cap'n Crunch, Alphabets . . . . . I'm lactose intolerant so I pretty much have to stay away from breakfast cereals most of the time, although I occasionally indulge.

When I was a youngster, I'd just gobble stuff like that down all day, every day. Something changed with age though.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old February 17th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Something changed with age though.
That's true. My friends mother says that "Getting older isn't for sissies."

For those of you with intolerances I know a guy in Massachusetts who has a company that makes desserts and mixes for people with allergies and sensitivites. www.goodbaker.com I think that's his website but I'm not certain. I'll check it out. I've never bought anything from him so I'm not endorsing anything or promoting anything. (If I am, someone with powers please delete this--it's not my intention. I just thought someone might be interested) I have tried a few of his recipes and cooking tips and they were good. He knows his stuff.

I'm finding that as I get older it takes fewer and fewer calories to make me doughy. When I was young just ctutting out desserts for a week could make me slim. Now I actually have to move my lazy tush!
Old February 17th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Fortunately, most of the stuff I have any kind if allergies to make me so ill that I can't stand to be around them, tea for example (can't even stand the smell tho green tea seems OK to smell). I like a hamburger now and then but beef does not agree with me and I am paranoid about CJD anyway (with good reason), I have had an ulcer so while I should stay away from certain food that are known to cause them - tho the maj of ulcers are caused by H. pylori (except of course mine, lol) - I do love coca cola and drink it for pleasure but sparinly and then drink extra milk. I also love coffee and have to be cautious with that as well. I almost never drink it exceot for a latte at Starbucks or a capp - extra milk at Tim's. And I even have an Expresso/cap machine and everything, sighhhhhhhh! Fortunately for me, I really do like to drink milk and love those new types on the market that come in banana and strawberry. In NS, you can buy banana and strawverry milk by the litre now - sooo good!! (I swear I could do ads for that dairy, lol)

I also cannot seem to digest cucumber even tho I grow them in my garden to make pickles - hence, my staff and friends get lots of pickles and cukes, lol And I sooo love pickles, sigh!
Old February 17th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Boss-lady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Wow, who would have thought JellyBellies have real fruit in there!?

You can't imagine how shocked I was! I thought I was picking out the melon ones and eating the tangerine and mandarin ones. A cantaloupe snuck in on me, and I knew it right away. I've since checked their website, and they use real fruit in all their fruit flavours-who would've guessed?
Old February 17th, 2006, 08:35 PM

LOL Don't let any kids read this...

I'm a moron.. Today, out of puppy separation anxiety, I ate soooo much tzatziki... I'm in trouble! Luckily I don't plan on sleeping anyway.
Old February 17th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Senior Contributor

OH I know what this is now !!! My sister in law--whose husband is Greek-- made this for us once and I couldn't get enough.

Oh my gosh yes ! I would eat that even if it didn't agree with me. I loved it !! I kept thinking that the cucumbers and yogurt sounded familiar and then I remembered that day on Veronica's patio--stuffing myself with that and naan bread.

My husband isn't overly thrilled with his sister right now but I think I have to call her and get the recipe--unless anyone here has it and wants to share ???? In the interest of family harmony?
Old February 17th, 2006, 09:33 PM

I just buy it. The ingredients of mine are yogurt, cuke, veggie oil, vinegar, garlic, and salt, in that order...
Old February 17th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow, that was fast !!

Okay--I'm going to give it a try and see how it comes out. My cousin is coming over with her family on Monday so I'll test it out on them. Thanks !!!

(But if I can find a place that sells it in the meantime I'm definitely going to buy it !)
Old February 17th, 2006, 09:42 PM

I don't know the proportions though...

Oh, and if you buy it, try to get one with a greek brand name and natural ingredients. Some are so fake and loaded with artificial flavors and things that tzatziki just doesn't need.
Old February 17th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Boss-lady!

joeysmama-I have a couple of recipes for tzatziki, just not in front of me. There's a trick to it. The first time I made it, it was runny and yucky.

You have to drain the yogurt and the cucumbers or else you get too much liquid in it. It takes a little time, but the results are so worth it.

Should I post the recipe here, or PM it to you?

Oops! I have to go out for a little while. I'll check back later.
Old February 17th, 2006, 09:59 PM

Post it here! (please ) It'll probably save me money in the long run... oo or in the recipe forum... I think Tzatziki needs its own thread...
Old February 18th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Boss-lady!

Sorry it took so long to get back. I'll post in the recipe forum. One Tzatziki recipe coming up!
Old February 18th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I so love a glass of good wine. Nothing better than a meal of homemade soup, good bread, and a glass of wine. But, I pay for the wine with stuffed-up sinuses and a headache the next 2 days. Yeah right! A sinus headache! Not a hangover! So many times I've gone to a party and indulged and then I'll think, OMG what have I done! But, sometimes I get away without the effects. I haven't figured out what makes the difference. No, not the quantity! One or two glasses with food shouldn't a hangover make!
Old February 18th, 2006, 05:11 PM
-

easy tzatziki recipe ; sour cream,cucumber and lotssss of garlic.YUM.I like it too with yogourt but I like the fatening one with sour cream,and not the light one!
Old February 19th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Peanuts....allergic to them, I miss peanut butter cups, they were my favorite chocolate bar up to five years ago

Red wine, when I drink it, I get so hot I feel like I'm on fire. I can only drink it if I mix it with something. I love sangria

Seafood,:sad: I can eat shrimps, fish but if I eat clams, muscles anything else I get voilently sick tingling sensation in my throat. I stopped eating it, and now waiting to go see an allergist
Old February 19th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Senior Contributor

If you're allergic to wheat and really crave a pasta bi-fun noodles are a great wheat and gluten free passta. They taste like angel hair pasta--but they're really pricey. You can get them at a health food store or asian specialty shop.

Reese cups you can make at home with almond butter instead of peanut butter--if you can eat almonds. Almond butter is sweet and delicious. I could eat it by the ton.

I bought the little plastic molds in the craft store--the size and shape of bite size reese's. After you wash and dry them, wipe the insides with a dry paper towel (I don't know why but someone told me it helps them to release better. Melt some chocolate chips and put a little in each cup pulling it up the sides with a small spoon--put in fridge to harden. (about 10 minutes) Then put a small amount of almond butter in each and top with more chocolate. Put them in the fridge for another half hour and then pop them out on waxed paper.

Very very yummy !! (Shouldn't there be a little piggy icon on this site?? )
Old February 19th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributor

i am not physically restricted by any foods, my father says i have an iron stomach, BUT i am geographically restricted

i love falafel rolls with heaps of garlic and chilli sause, BUT the only place i can get them is a village around 30 mins away, and it realy sux driving all that way for food. and if hubby is not with me its too hard to eat a falafel roll and drive at 100 km, its just too tricky...

and i love pizza huts cheese pizza, BUT the nearest store is about an hour away, it really defeats the purpose as i cant eat it cold, bah humbug.... i wish we had more junk food in our village (i say that but if they set up here i would probably whinge about it)...

ah so geographically limited, its not fair......
Old February 19th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Aw Melanie! Don't you know there's nothing better than raiding the fridge for some cold, leftover pizza?
Old February 19th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

well to be honest i have never actually tried it, it the thought of it that puts me off, next time i get a chance i will give it a go, it may be a saving grace for me.

but i am sorta glad we dont have junk food here, and the shops are so far away, if either were any closer this pregnant mumma would be the size of a house, i could just eat and eat and eat and eat, not good for a gals figure after birth...

oh well back to the plums and grapes, that the only real treat i have these days, but ohhhhhhhhhhh sooooooo goooood

but i do know what heart burn is like, i get a bit being preggers but its not as usual thing for me (but an excelent excuse for a milkshake daily) only a few weeks and its all over with, oh well my thighs will probably appreciaate the reduction in milkshakes.....

um i agree with that little piggy icon suggestion, but perhaps it should just be attached to my name permanantly
Old February 19th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Cold leftover pizza first thing in the morning is the best! Give it a try. It's a surprisingly wonderful treat!!! Or even at 2:30 in the morning when you wake up with the munchies.
Old February 19th, 2006, 07:40 PM

I hate cold anything, but cold left-over pizza is really good- but only in the morning. mmmm... In the afternoon, I have to reheat it.
Old February 19th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Before we were married I once saw my husband eat a slice of cold leftover pizza, straight out of the fridge, for breakfast ! With BBQ sauce on it !! ICK !! But it made me think he'd be easy to feed.

Not so !!! Now his breakfast requirements are like something out of a health class movie. Food groups represented. Hot food on cold days. For Pete's sake !! I'm not exactly June Cleaver there in my dress and pearls in the morning making a 3 course breakfast. But at least he does fend for himself in the A.M.

Ooops--did I just hi-jack the thread? Sorry !!
Old February 19th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I find it's a great breakfast to munch on in the car on my way to work in the morning.
Old February 19th, 2006, 11:55 PM
cat slave

hmmm......no sorry...i kinda pig out when I want to no restrictions.

however....when I cook a meal i browse through my cook book and there';s some lovely pictures of lamb chop dishes that look so good yet I can't get myself to make it. I can't get myself to eat lamb ever again. I'm not a vegetarian and I may sound like a hypocrite but I just can't eat lamb or any specialty meats like deer and rabbit and all that stuff. blehh....
Old February 19th, 2006, 11:57 PM

How about veal? I can't eat veal. Baby cows? No way.. It's like eating big-boned Bambi.