Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Ellen DeGeneres - serially giving away dogs?

I'm sure you're all aware of the recent Ellen DeGeneres kerfuffle . . . . . turns out, as per the New York Post story below, that she might have re-gifted other dogs before the current example.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10222007...ix/pagesix.htm

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:43 AM
Swift Tribe

i want to know how much of this is because she is an open lesbian. it seems like she is always in the lime light for things that other celebs arent. hell look at Paris Hilton.... while im sure Tinkerbell was probably happier where ever she was discarded to... but you dont see the media jumping all over it. Ellen rehomes her dogs to good homes and she is all over the news.

thats just my casual opinion on it anyway. i havent really cared to look into it more than the surface.

-ashley
Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
i want to know how much of this is because she is an open lesbian. it seems like she is always in the lime light for things that other celebs arent. hell look at Paris Hilton.... while im sure Tinkerbell was probably happier where ever she was discarded to... but you dont see the media jumping all over it. Ellen rehomes her dogs to good homes and she is all over the news.

thats just my casual opinion on it anyway. i havent really cared to look into it more than the surface.

-ashley
It's in the news because Ellen DeGeneres put it in the news with her very public and very bizarrre tear fest.

You'd think the dog had been taken away by puppy terrorists instead of a credible rescue group with policies and procedures similar to other groups.

And now we find out she's actually done this before, perhaps several times.

DeGeneres initiated the coverage herself. Its not like she was being stalked and had it come up.

My thoughts.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:13 AM
Swift Tribe

*chuckles* like i said, casual glance.

-ash
Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:28 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
You'd think the dog had been taken away by puppy terrorists instead of a credible rescue group with policies and procedures similar to other groups.

And now we find out she's actually done this before, perhaps several times.

DeGeneres initiated the coverage herself. Its not like she was being stalked and had it come up.
My toughts too RickC. I saw the part of her show where she was crying ... ridiculous. She adopted from a rescue , signed a contract , couldn't keep the dog , should have call the rescue as per the contract, I don't care if it's the pope or her. Now many many people are bitching about rescues. Like it's not hard enough as it is for the volunteers.

Last edited by Frenchy; October 22nd, 2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
My toughts too RickC. I saw the part of her show where she was crying ... ridiculous. She adopted from a rescue , signed a contract , couldn't keep the dog , should have call the rescue as per the contract, I don't care is it's the pope or her. Now many many people are bitching about rescues. Like it's not hard enough as it is for the volunteers.
"Lesbians Got Issues Too" - bumper sticker I wish I'd seen.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:48 AM
-

RickC !
Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:54 AM
Swift Tribe

*snort* Rick.... i was looking for a Wiki i read in respect to another Californian i know and cant seem to find it now but the basic gist of it was that there is a type of community based narcissism. i suspect CA has a bad case of that.

-ashley
Old October 22nd, 2007, 01:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I've been reading about this. I have to say, its pretty obvious Ellen just wants to be treated with some kind of favoritism and believes that just because she's a "celebrity" she is entitled to different rules.

These people who run that rescue have had their lives threatened and had to close their site for a few days because they were afraid to go to work.

The contract said specifically they don't adopt out pets to households with children under 14, and the children of the hairdresser were 12 and 13 I believe.

I'm sure the organization did their checking to make sure Ellen's household was the proper one for the dog, just as they do for all of their clients. So for Ellen to by pass the way these people work and just give the dog to someone who she thinks he should go is breaking the contract.

I can understand that she couldn't keep the dog because her other pets could not get along with it, but she should have contacted the rescue organization and told them. I'm sure they would have found it a wonderful home and all of this could have been avoided.

It just bothers me when celebrities think they can do whatever they want, regardless of rules or contracts or what's right and wrong.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

The sad part about all of this, is because of Ellen's public Booo Hoooing on national tv, the rescue group is receiving death threats, media camp out there, and they have had to going into hiding!! Now how is this good for this reacues animals ?!!

Suck it up Ellen!! Admit that you were wrong, and the the rescue had every right to seize that dog! Next time read your contract, or have one of your many "staff" read it, and explain it to you!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old October 22nd, 2007, 06:19 PM
cat slave

I don't know...i think this has gotten WAY WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of hand. I think she means well. At least she's willing to rehome her pets as opposed to leaving them home while collecting more and more until ONE of them matches her purse.*ahem..paris*

How many pets does that idiot have?? THOUSANDS! yet there's no media frenzy over it. Same with Britney. She can't even handle taking care of her own kids, never mind dogs.

I think Ellen meant well. At least she gave the dog away to someone she knew, not some stranger from the paper.

However, that being said, I think the death threats are a bit jouvenile.

It was bizzarre to see Ellen cry. Maybe I'm biased cos i like her, but if people point fingers that celebrities should be treated equally, then ALL celebrities should be treated equally. Then Paris and britney and the others should all be tested as "good pet owners".
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:23 PM
-

So fill in "the Village idiot" here will ya? Was there one dog or was there more than dog ?
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:23 PM
-

So fill in "the Village idiot" here will ya? Was there one dog or was there more than dog ?
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:42 PM
Senior Contributor

That article was about one dog that was given to her that was given away, and it also says that Howard Stern mentioned she'd done it 9 times before. Mind you, I would take what Stern says with a grain of salt, but it does give the impression she's made a habit of doing this.

I feel bad for the animals, they are the ones suffering. And these women who are now unable to even run their rescue because all of the Ellen Nazi's threatening to kill them.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:03 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiorji View Post
*ahem..paris*

How many pets does that idiot have?? THOUSANDS! yet there's no media frenzy over it. Same with Britney. She can't even handle taking care of her own kids, never mind dogs.
Now I'm so not a fan of Paris but she does have an employee that only takes care of all her animals. As for Britney .... she should not own pets , have kids ...
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:04 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
That article was about one dog that was given to her that was given away, and it also says that Howard Stern mentioned she'd done it 9 times before.
I did hear it too , but not from Howard Stern and I don't think it was 9 dogs. But she did do this before.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:07 PM
Kitty pimp

The rescue org could have handled this a lot better
Especially knowing who it was and the media hype they would be getting

I dont get the no kids rule though and i sure would like to hear a calm interview with the head of the rescue org
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:11 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
The rescue org could have handled this a lot better
Especially knowing who it was and the media hype they would be getting

I dont get the no kids rule though and i sure would like to hear a calm interview with the head of the rescue org
The rescue did what they had to do. It's Ellen that made a big case on national tv ....

And it's not a no kids rule, it's no kids under 14 , wich I do think is a bit extreme. BUT , you have to understand , if a kid ever gets bitten by a dog that comes from a rescue , that rescue could get sued by the parents. And you know these associations are non profits ... they don't need that kind of expenses / bad publicity. So they play it safe. Some of my fosters are stray dogs , we don't know anything about their pasts , so I too , don't place them in a home with young kids.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:23 PM
Kitty pimp

they could have done it in a better quieter way i would think

Also has the legalitty of the contract u sogn ever been challenged ?

Do not misunderstand me here. I think that rescue orgs are wonderfull but I also think they are to extreme.
As for liability after selling (and yes it is selling if you receive money in exchange for an animal ) I am not too sure that would be a tortuis liability either.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:27 PM
-

Nope , I never had any problems with our adopters / adoption contracts. I know some rescues are extreme (I like to think we are not that way) but I do understand , people, now , sue for the stupidiest things , it's just a way for rescues to cover themselves. And to make sure of the dog's well being. The dogs rescues get , usually have had many families , we just want to make sure they are going to their last and forever home.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I can understand no kids under a certain age. How many pets are given up because of kids, either being allergic, or the owners having young children or babies?
Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:11 PM
Kitty pimp

I cannott remeber a time in my childhood that we didnt own a dog
I cant imagine a better teacher about life and kindness and responsibility than a dog for a child

Ok some times it doesnt work and I understand that you dont want to have to take thenm back, but isnt it worth a chance?

The only thing that doesnt make me want to scream is that theres always the county shelter to get an animal I was one call away from doing that myself instead of dealing with rescue orgs
one of the apps had 53 ? 53!!!!!~ jesus i can get a job with less questions