Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 31st, 2007, 10:25 AM

Need claw help!

Well my little guy is getting strong! We have been cliping his nails since we got him but in past weeks he has gotten really strong. This moring he was hitting my nose and give me some pretty nasty cuts. He is not damageing anything in the house and is not allowed out.

So I was thinking about getting some soft paws, do they work well?
Old August 31st, 2007, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

if he's not damaging anything, why bother him w/ such things?

i would simply continue clipping his nails regularly. my vet warns against soft paws because they are glued on while the claw is out, and some kittens end up leaving their claws out allt he time when the caps are off - not retracting them as normal.

regular clipping also keeps your cat used to being handled & groomed. one of my cats was declawed (fronts only) before she came to me, and my other cat gets her nails clipped regularly, just as the dog does.

btw, although your cat isn't "allowed" out, doesn't mean he may not mistakenly get out one day. it's happened to me once or twice. it's best if he has his claws in the event he needs them, not covered by soft paws.
Old August 31st, 2007, 11:05 AM
Senior Contributor

What's your claw-clipping technique? I've been trimming my guy since he was a wee kitten so he's very used to it by now (plus he likes the treats he gets afterwards), but it should never have to come down to a battle of strength. Here's my previous post on the topic with some visuals: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....751#post466751

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 31st, 2007, 11:06 AM
-

Maybe some of the cat-people can give you some tips on nail trimming. I know my Mother used to wrap her cat with arms and legs enclosed, very snugly in a towel and do one paw at a time. If Jack was particularly squirmy, one of us children would hold Jack (in his towel) giving him treats as Mum cut his nails. I don't have cats but I thought there are cat scratch posts designed to file down their nails. If they work, maybe one of those would be a good investment.
Old August 31st, 2007, 11:26 AM

he is very good for claw clipping he sit on my lap and clip them once a week, it just he is so strong and playfull now. He is taking very small chunks of carpit on the staris out (we are redowing the staris soon so it dose not really matter) I jsut worrying about him when gose and plays with my little cousin he never hurt them befour but he getting strong and big now.

Last edited by megan_in_pink; August 31st, 2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old August 31st, 2007, 12:14 PM
Performance Spaniels

People gave you good advice, when you asked about them originally, in January...
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ight=soft+paws
Old August 31st, 2007, 12:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
Maybe some of the cat-people can give you some tips on nail trimming. I know my Mother used to wrap her cat with arms and legs enclosed, very snugly in a towel and do one paw at a time. If Jack was particularly squirmy, one of us children would hold Jack (in his towel) giving him treats as Mum cut his nails. I don't have cats but I thought there are cat scratch posts designed to file down their nails. If they work, maybe one of those would be a good investment.
That's an excellent idea! I'm going to have to try that!
Old August 31st, 2007, 01:36 PM

try and file the nails down after clipping. Some cats dont like it but luck for me mine dont mind. Also try and get a scrating post and see if the little one will use that to try. AMber