Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 15th, 2005, 08:17 PM

Kitten has white eye

We adopted a kitten from a rescue group. It's right eye is white and the lid partially covers it. She doesn't open int all the way much, but when she does, you can see that there is a pupil, it is just turned to the right in the socket. We were told and have a letter from the vet that she was tested for feline luekemia and hiv and it was negative. It doesn't seem to bother her much, but I was curious what could cause it and should we be worried about any other problems. She is 14 weeks old, eats, plays and sleeps. Thank you for the help.
Old February 15th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I'm no vet but it almost sounds like she has had some kind of trauma to her eye. I'm surprised that the vet did not let you know what it was.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 16th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree happy.

Has the vet checked the eye at all?If so,what did he/she say?
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:53 PM

Kitten has white eye

The rescue groups vet said it was probably born with it like that. She has an appointment with our vet in a week. Neither of her two brothers had this problem. The eye doesn't slow her down at all. I just was curious what might cause it to be that way and if there might other complications. There doesn't seem to be any drainage from either eye. The other eye is clear. We love her no matter what. Thank you for your replies.
Old February 16th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I hope your kitten is OK, And I am so glad you adopted a cat that was not "perfect". but what they lack in appearance they make up for in character !! :love:

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 16th, 2005, 09:29 PM

Kitten has white eye

We all fell in love with her the moment we saw her. She is a beautiful orange and white baby. My girls have named her Princess Mia (after princess diaries). She has an excellent personality and temperment. I will let you know what our vet has to say. Thank you for the kindness.
Old February 20th, 2005, 09:31 PM

Kitten has white eye update

We took the kitten and our other cat to the vet on Saturday because they both had green discharge from one eye each. The vet took a look at her eye and said she has a corneal ulcer on her eye. That it was possibly from an eye injury when she was a baby that was not treated. Is this something that can be fixed? Thank you for the support.
Old February 20th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, your vet should have told you how to go about fixing this....?
Corneal ulcers usually heal over time though maybe not if it's really a bad one. Usually the vet would give you eye salve & cream, that both soothes and has antibiotic properties.
They can take a long time to heal and sometimes you have to use eyedrops, like saline (NOT the Visene type ones), to prevent the eye from getting too dry.
But your vet should have discussed all this with you.
Where in Michigan are you? On the off-chance that you're near me, I can point you to a couple of very good, competent, reasonable vets. I'm in Genesee County.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 10:16 PM

Kitten with white eye

The kitten has to go back for a check up in a week. He didn't make any suggestions on the eye. I am in Wayne County. If you know of any good vets here, I am open to change. I am bothered that he didn't offer any other information. Thank you for you help.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 07:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Hmmmm, I don't know any vets down there, or anyone I could ask.
I'd say, have a list of questions and be sure to get answers!
You are paying him for his expertise and time. If he's not willing to give you either, then you are not getting your money's worth.
Is her eye still runny or tearing up? If it is, she should have some salve or drops to soothe it.
One of my dogs inadvertently got squirted with carburetor cleaning fluid once. He did get a corneal ulcer (like a cloudy white spot) even though I rinsed it with a hose like crazy afterwards. The vet gave me a little tube of salve, it both soothed and coated the eye and had an antibiotic to prevent infection. His eye took a while to clear up, but is fine now.