Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 19th, 2013, 12:40 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Have you ever been bitten by your own dog or cat?

I was just reading on another forum about an owner who got chomped by their dog when they were trying to take away a plastic garbage bag from the dog and the dog nailed them on the arm, breaking skin.

So far other than pretty much accidental bites from Bayley when she still had her puppy teeth and those don't take much to break skin, she's never bitten me, now she does mouth when she gets playing but never puts any pressure.

Nino used to threaten to bite if he didn't like something I was doing, he doesn't anymore. Noella play bites but like Bayley never hard enough to break skin. My first cat Nikki used to play bite, he'd grab my arm and just hold it, and the look was like Gotcha!! Now some people he didn't like, I wouldn't put it past him to bite seriously.
Old May 19th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Once on purpose years ago, decades even, when I was much, much younger. More recently only by mistake, and never badly enough to require a Doctor.

Someone on this forum several years ago got a mistake bite that required stitches from her dog and she came back to warn us all. Don't tell the Doctor or Hospital the bite came from your own animal. Most are required to report bites to Health of Animals and your animal could end up being quarantined and having a bite report entered. Her dog was quarantined. Your dog will be quarantined if it has been vaccinated for rabies. You may be allowed to quarantine at home but if your home and yard is deemed not secure enough you may have to foot the bill at an approved facility.

If your dog/cat is not vaccinated, well then I'm not sure what will happen. But the only way I know of to see if the animal might have rabies is to destroy it and examine brain tissue.

Sorry OP, off track a bit.
Old May 19th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

A bite like that from a dog is a very bad sign - sounds like this dog and its owners needs additional training.

In the best of cases, all toys belong to the owner, not the dog....and dogs should yield them without a fuss.

If the dog had no training, all bets are off. If the dog has aggression/possessiveness like this one does - all bets are off...... It's up to the owners to deal with problem behaviours. They rarely just go away.

I've been bitten by my own cats hundreds of times over the years. It's always related to play - or petting aggression. The skin has been broken a few times...
sometimes I gently bite them back - but they don't seem to care.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 19th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Marty almost bit my hand and it was my fault , I was going to pet him while he about to yawn. I was not looking at him and he had his mouth wide open right in a middle of a big yawn. I had to take a broken chicken bone out his mouth , he found it on the ground and the bone had a pointed end to it so I had to get it away from him and I still have all my fingers.
Old May 19th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Two of my female Australian Cattle Dogs once had a serious fight and my husband and I got them apart, but my mistake was letting go of Susie before she realised it was me holding her, not the other dog. So, she spun around, latched onto my forearm, sunk the teeth right in, then gave a shake. Have a nice sets of tooth mark scars from that. Poor girl realised instantly how bad she'd been and slunk off under the table with her tail between her legs. My bad though, I should have held her and talked to her.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:35 AM

I get bit once in a while by the cats, usually when they get overexcited during play or when I'm doing something they don't like like clipping nails or dosing flea preventative.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:58 PM

Scruffy has broken the skin a couple of times. Once I was tossing the ball at the same time he was going for it. We both bled a little and I learned that I had to teach Scruffy NOT to go for the ball when it was on the ground.
The second time was also an accident. I don't call those 'bites' because that was NOT his intention, but he did draw blood both times.
Longblades thanks for the info about reporting dog bites. That's something I never would have thought about.
Old May 24th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Willing cat servant

By my cats a few times, especially when they're kittens I like to play rough with them (like wrestling with my arm and hand) so I had it coming. Mostly they scratch though.
Old May 24th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Noella play bites..she has a thing for fingernails!! I find what hurts more if they have their mouth open and hit you with a tooth! Or accidently get you with their little front teeth but I've never suffered a full on bite down and mean business type of bite. Bayley will try to move my hand off her paw if I decide to try to do her nails myself, not really biting but taking my hand and trying to move it.