Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 28th, 2009, 07:13 PM
~Cat Servent~

One of my worst fears... pink in the litterbox

I went to scoop tonight and there were a few scattered and small pee clumps that have a pink tint to them. I have no way of knowing which one did it and am broker than broke right now (my vet is always good that way though). I have not noticed anyone crying out down there, but I was at work/in the shower/out shovelling so it's not hard to miss. So I am panicking. I have to figure out who and fast and have no way to seperate them all with their own boxes!! Now Palomine has been off his food again and not eaten properly in a few days but as far as I know and have seen is drinking normal. Not one of them is acting strangely or sick. I have to work in the morning so I can't really camp out down there all night, but imagine I may be sleeping on the couch so that I can hear any distress, hopefully. I plan to call the vet first thing in the am and see what she thinks, I mean do I take them all in to get urine samples? This is definitly something I have worried about, one being sick and me having no clue who.:sad: Would it make a difference if I gave them all some water by syringe?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 28th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Krdahmer there is really not much you can do at this point..I wouldnt take them all in cause that will be costly. Is there anyway to narrow it down tonight? Like do they sleep in seperate rooms or anything? cause you could close the door and leave them with a litter box and keep one in another spot with any remaining kitties? at least this way you could try to narrow it down. The syringe thing may to too much for them and get them all freaked out. Maybe being on the couch will give you a chance to hear anything or observe anything strange?

If their all acting kinda normal you may have to wait a bit to see whats going on? Im sorry your going throught his!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 28th, 2009, 07:51 PM
~Cat Servent~

Thanks Winston...I'm sort of hoping it was just a one time thing because I scoop every day and have not seen anything that might hint that someone was not going normally (I count and inspect all that I scoop daily) and the only one I can rule out is Smoke because she had a good pee just last night right in front of me while I was scooping. I have a feeling I won't be sleeping anyhow so I may just camp out in the basement.... the only thing is I have noticed that any change in routine, ie. closed doors, actually makes them hold it and not go at all. Windy looked like she had some issues in the box today, her fur was clumped around her bum, but she gets that from time to time with a runny poop. I'm supposed to be off Friday, so tomorrow after work till friday I'll be on litterbox alert, hopefully I can figure out who it is before the vets closes fri. My brothers cat gets blockages and crystal, but they said he really yeowls and keeps going back to the box, and I haven't seen that here yet, in fact everyone is napping... If I haven't figured it out by tomorrow, I'll have to seperate them in twos maybe to narrow it down.

I was just thinking... I can't even imagine if heaven forbid someone like 14+ found blood in the litterbox... I'm frantic at how to figure out who did it, when I only have 5 likely suspects!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:54 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Aww gee thanks kr. I think about that constantly myself. I have no idea what I would do if that happened. Hopefully it won't for quite some time.
I wish I could come up with an idea on how to help your situation. I think seeing as Palo has no been eating right he would be the first suspect. Maybe start with a sample for him?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:06 PM
~Cat Servent~

Ok so I camped out in the basement and it didn't take all that long to figure it out, Smoke must have peed in front of me for a reason! She went in and left a tiny little pink pee spot and then went back in 3 more times while I was down there each time just leaving drops in the box, and once straining a bit and leaving nothing. But she doesn't make a peep, no meowing or anything. It just started today, so should I take her now to the emerg or can it wait till the am for my vet? (hoping growler or someone is still up )

Old January 28th, 2009, 10:09 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

growler's still on kr. Why not PM her? I am sure she won't mind a bit.
I'm glad you figured it out so fast. Hopefully it will get fixed as fast at the vets. I would think if you can get her in tomorrow you should be ok.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:13 PM
~Cat Servent~

Ya thanks, I'm gonna call the girl I'm working with now and let her know I may be late getting in, I might be able to take Smoke right in the am... if not it'll be first thing in the afternoon.

Old January 28th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Senior Contributor

awwww I hope smoke feels better & so do you guys
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
Ok so I camped out in the basement and it didn't take all that long to figure it out, Smoke must have peed in front of me for a reason! She went in and left a tiny little pink pee spot and then went back in 3 more times while I was down there each time just leaving drops in the box, and once straining a bit and leaving nothing. But she doesn't make a peep, no meowing or anything. It just started today, so should I take her now to the emerg or can it wait till the am for my vet? (hoping growler or someone is still up )
Do you know when was the last time she pooped? any action like she's about to vomit?

Given that she went 4 times in the box already in the span of what time ......... I'd call the e vet see what they say first, but for me I'd take her in

However if the e-vet says morning would be fine go with that - I say that because they see this situation so much more than me

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:33 PM

The straining is what would bother me the most

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:42 PM
~Cat Servent~

Ok. Called evet... useless. So I called the emerg # I have for my vet and she answered! She said to give her a 1/2 of a 81mg asprin and to come in first thing in the am. So I feel better now. And no she's not acting sick in any way, no vomit or gagging, not even meowing while she's trying to go. Doesn't appear to be in pain but cats are good hiders of pain. I'll be getting up real early and taking her in asap. Already called my supervisor to let her know I may be late.... with the weather like this I'm sure she could manage for a bit on her own. Ok gotta shower... and get some sleep (ya right) Wish us luck! (especially with the give her a pill part...) Thanks guys!

Old January 28th, 2009, 10:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Good luck! May the pilling be painless for both of you!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:50 PM

for the pilling, a restful night & the visit tomorrow

Old January 29th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Senior Contributor

aawww dont worry KR, she'll be ok

My boy TY had this once. It took us way more than a day to realize, youre such a good mommy. He was leaving pink drops of blood here and there (on the tiles in washroom) and we didnt really know it was him, then he peed on my clothes in my room and I called vet to consult she said to bring him in. He had a urinary infection (they check for crystals too but he had none). As soon as he got on the antibiotics he was fine. I think he had a nice pee the first day on them.

Hope things clear up with smoke really soon too

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Good luck with Smoke today

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:37 AM
150% PRO S/N

Sending lots of for Smoke today!

Old January 29th, 2009, 07:38 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Goodluck to you and Smoke today Kr..
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Senior Contributor

For pretty Smoke
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Poor Smoke, I'm sure she's happy that you caught it so soon. She'll be as good as new in to time, antibiotics usually work pretty fast to make them comfortable while the infection goes away.

Goodluck at the vet.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:58 AM
~Cat Servent~

I took her in before work and left her there, just called and she still hasn't peed for them, which is no surprise to me... she's probably not too happy as last time she had to stay there for the day they removed two teeth! Poor baby. They're gonna try to coax her (or put some preassure on the bladder like they had to do for Windy and Fagan) after lunch so I should know what's going on later this afternoon.

Thanks Onster for sharing... eases my mind a bit to think it's just an infection that'll clear up with some antibiotics... and thanks to all for the !!!

Now does anyone know if this is a contagious sort of thing? (if it's an infection that is)

Old January 29th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Senior Contributor

With Ty they didnt even try to wait for him to pee, they just stuck a needle in his bladder . But then there was nothing so they had to keep him overnight anyway and do that again...

They may suggest the needle in the bladder thing but I think its best to do what theyre doing and sort of wait it out...Ty who used to fall asleep on the examination table turned into the kitty from hell after that overnight visit- he would growl at the vets!

for her! Honestly dont worry its probably just a little infection , u caught it quickly too

Old January 29th, 2009, 02:12 PM
-

Sending lots of good wishes for Smoke today.

I'm sure it is just an infection that will be quickly treated with antibiotics.
Old January 29th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Dahmer,I don't know for sure of course,but I doubt it's contagious.
My Rocky had to stay at the vet,to get a urine-sample out of him,but I think they extracted some
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Hope everything went well at the vets and it's just an infection that some meds will take care of.
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Also hoping that Smoke is okay! Any more news?

As for getting a urine sample, the best method really is cystocentisis (that's the needle in the bladder thing). It's the only way to get a truly sterile sample, which would be necessary if they were planning to do a culture & sensitivity (that's where they "grow" the bacteria in a lab to see what kind they are and to determine what antibiotics they're susceptable to - costs extra but might be worth it).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:44 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Hope Smoke will be fine!

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:53 PM
~Cat Servent~

Seeing as they close in 10 minutes it's looking like they are keeping her over night, which I hate, she gets so traumatized there every time. I called an hour ago and she still hadn't gone for them. I feel so protective of her because she's so tiny and always picked on around here.... I hate that now she's getting all stressed out and manhandled at the vets too. :sad: I just hope they figure out what it is so I can get her home and get her better!

Old January 29th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh i didnt know that sugarcatmom, i thought since kr vets were waiting perhaps my vets just were impatient...in that case maybe you can ask them to just perform a cystocentisis kr?

Dont worry she will be just fine Im sure of it....im sure she'll get over the vet visit really quickly once she's no longer in any pain.

Old January 29th, 2009, 09:59 PM

I hope everything will turn out well - I'm sure it will. I have a female tortie who used to get bladder infections every year without fail, and always let me know by peeing in the bathtub! I'd see pink pee in there and know she needed to go to the vet. But the last two or three years, she's been OK. I hope your little girl will bounce right back and not have any more problems.
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Senior Contributor

for smoke and the dahmer clan.
I hope by morning the vets going to have a definitive answer and Smoke will be on the road to recovery.

Waiting is the worst though... for you.
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)