Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 17th, 2003, 11:33 AM

Post Aggressive Boxer

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can give me any ideas on how to handle my new male boxer dog. He's 3 years old, we have had him from Boxer rescue since last Saturday. When my wife and I went to pick him up from the previous home, we were met with a snarling, vicious looking dog. The owner then let him into the house to meet us, under supervision of course. The Boxer decided to jump up me and try and nip my hand whilst barking at me and giving a low growl. I put it down to protection of the family which is fine but perhaps a little to much protection. After a couple of minutes he calmed down. We then sat down with him and then he totally changed and was very affectionate and friendly towards us. We decided to rehome him with us and took him home. He met my other boxer bitch and that was fine, they get on like a house on fire. Everytime we get a visitor they are met with the same response we got when we first met him. How can we get him to overcome this behaviour? Also we have the problem of meeting other dogs as long as they aren't too close he is fine. So we'll be using the "bar open, bar closed" method to see if that helps him conquer this behaviour.
It would be great if anyone has any ideas on how to help us.

Thanks
Dave&Kirstie