Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 10th, 2012, 02:27 PM

Injured Feral Cat

There are several feral cats in my neighborhood. I've been caring for them as best I can since my husband feels we have enough animals (6) inside. In the last few weeks, I noticed that one of the "yearlings" somehow hurt its back leg. The leg looks very dark on the underside, but I can't get a good look because he/she runs away when I get within 10 yards. The cat keeps the leg elevated when moving around. He/she is eating and getting around OK, except using just 3 legs. I don't know what to do. If I trap it to take to the vet, the leg may need to be amputated. If so, I would hate to release the cat back into the wilds again, and my husband refuses to let me keep him/her.
Is it kinder to allow nature to take its course, whether that means the cat will recover on its own or not?
What would you do? I really want to do what's best.

Last edited by dmskraba; July 13th, 2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old July 10th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Can you contact some of the local rescue organizations that specialize in feral cats and see if they can help, or have any advice?

http://www.humanesociety.org/assets/....html?state=PA

Good luck! And thanks for looking out for these kitties.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Can you contact some of the local rescue organizations that specialize in feral cats and see if they can help, or have any advice?

http://www.humanesociety.org/assets/....html?state=PA

Good luck! And thanks for looking out for these kitties.
I did that when I was feeding a homeless cat. I called a no kill cat shelter and had them help me trap the cat as it been attacked by a raccoon or coyote and the cat's back was just about bitten off . You could see the poor cat bones! The cat got better and has a new home. The cat could get an infection in it leg and dies a painful death.
Old July 11th, 2012, 08:24 AM

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll check with the local humane society!
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:45 PM

Please call and try to get help as soon as possible. Two weeks ago a feral cat that my son had been feeding for a long time showed up with mangled legs, either from a car or animal. He got a trap to try to get the cat, and the next morning he noticed turkey vultures on his shed out back. The poor thing had gone under the shed to die, which must have been a terrible death. Please act fast, he may not last long and has to be really hurting.
Old July 12th, 2012, 08:31 AM

Thanks for sharing your story. It is so sad. So far the animal welfare agengies in my area have been useless, so I will have to take matters in my own hands and borrow a trap. I hope I can catch this cat before it's too late.
Old July 12th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmskraba View Post
Thanks for sharing your story. It is so sad. So far the animal welfare agengies in my area have been useless, so I will have to take matters in my own hands and borrow a trap. I hope I can catch this cat before it's too late.
you may trap a raccoon too! This happen to me when I was trying to trap a homeless cat , I found a big fat mad raccoon in the trap.
Old July 12th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Good luck with trying to trap this injured kitty, and bless you for caring enough to try. I really hope you get him/her and are able to help, but at least in your heart you will know you are one of the good ones for trying.