Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:07 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Anybody run?

Does anybody run, or have trained for a half marathon?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:10 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Bendyfoot does Love4..
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Bendy runs and sometimes, there isn't even anyone chasing her
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:22 PM
Geek Club CEO

Yep, good memory guys, I did a half last May... I'm doing a 10 in 2 weeks in Ottawa (ran 12 on Sunday, so I'm alllll good ) You going to do some running, L4?
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:22 PM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macomom View Post
there isn't even anyone chasing her
Oh, but sometimes there IS!!!
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
Oh, but sometimes there IS!!!

Bendddyyyy, I haven't done that in weeks
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old February 2nd, 2010, 07:25 PM
Geek Club CEO

I know
Old February 3rd, 2010, 07:53 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macomom View Post
Bendy runs and sometimes, there isn't even anyone chasing her
I was chewing on an apple and spit it out laughing when I read this.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:04 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
Yep, good memory guys, I did a half last May... I'm doing a 10 in 2 weeks in Ottawa (ran 12 on Sunday, so I'm alllll good ) You going to do some running, L4?
Yes, I actually started back in Nov, I know who the heck starts running outside in Nov

I have very good cardio, I bike in the summer (40Kms daily) and use the eliptical in the winter. The problem I have is I HATE exercising inside, so I thought I could add running outside in the winter to add to my inside exercising regime.

So here is my problem:

Because I have very good cardio and fairly strong legs, it hasn't stopped me from doing the walk/run training. I started at 2KM back in Nov and now am doing 6KM Mon & Wed after work and 12KM on Saturday mornings. BUUUUUUUUT I am in constant pain . Last week I stopped running until my legs healed, ran Monday night and am in pain again .

Is this normal???? Do all runners endure this when they start, or am I doing something wrong? Is it my age (47) and it will take much longer for my tendons to get accustomed to high impact exercise? Is my body telling me that I am not made to be a runner and just stop now?

My goal is to run the Canada Army Run half marathon in Ottawa next Sept.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:42 PM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Yes, I actually started back in Nov, I know who the heck starts running outside in Nov

ME! It's actually a nice, cool time of year

I have very good cardio, I bike in the summer (40Kms daily) and use the eliptical in the winter. The problem I have is I HATE exercising inside, so I thought I could add running outside in the winter to add to my inside exercising regime.

Sadly, being super-cardio-fit in one type of activity can only partially help with running fitness...it's a whole other beast! But I totally understand your aversion to indoor exercise

So here is my problem:

Because I have very good cardio and fairly strong legs, it hasn't stopped me from doing the walk/run training. I started at 2KM back in Nov and now am doing 6KM Mon & Wed after work and 12KM on Saturday mornings. BUUUUUUUUT I am in constant pain . Last week I stopped running until my legs healed, ran Monday night and am in pain again .

I'm assuming you graaaadually upped your runs from 2 to 6? Long runs as well? You should never add much more than 10% of distance every week when training for a long race, and when you're building your base (up to 8-10kms or so).

Is this normal???? Do all runners endure this when they start, or am I doing something wrong? Is it my age (47) and it will take much longer for my tendons to get accustomed to high impact exercise? Is my body telling me that I am not made to be a runner and just stop now?

Ok, so where is the pain? My first thought is "do you have proper footwear?" You absolutely cannot run in crosstrainers...it has to be running-specific shoes, fitted properly by someone who knows what they're doing, to make sure they're providing support and/or cusioning where you need it. My legs used to DIE until I got proper shoes, it makes a HUGE difference and helps prevent injury.

Some pain is to be expected, yes. But it should be muscle soreness, and mild tendon pain, not crippling. Once you've got a good base, your short runs should feel good, not sore-inducing. The long training runs will pretty much always make you sore. You're using the 10:1 run:walk program right now, you said? Good, this will help with preventing soreness/injury. It COULD be technique. Technique is a tricky thing, because everybody moves differently and has a unique natural "gait" but there are some things you could be doing (where you're planting your stride on your foot, where you're putting your centre of gravity etc) that could be causing undue strain.

I totally want to run that race too, I meant to last year but it just couldn't happen.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 01:41 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yes I got fitted for running shoes at the Running Room by a very experienced person.. Love my Saucony's

Yes, the soreness is in my muscles and possibly my tendons, mostly in my calves and quads.

I think having good cardio can be one of my downsides because my heart didn't tell me to slow down when my legs did . In fact, my heart can keep on going after 12kms, even though my legs are about to fall off . Soooooooooooooooo, I guess I didn't do that 10% increase very well :

I started at 2km -1st week, 3km-2nd week, 4km 3rd week, then 5 Mon and Wed and 8 Sat for a couple of weeks, now to my 6km Mon & Wed, 12km Sat. I have to admit, I was striving for the cardio high afterwards and wasn't getting it after a short run .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 3rd, 2010, 08:57 PM
Geek Club CEO

So it sounds like you're trying for too much too soon, really. I know what you mean, you don't get the same cardio "burn/buzz" necessarily, depending on the pace, but if you wear a calorimeter, you'll be amazed at what staying in a medium-effort zone will burn, it's craaaazy. I understand what you mean about cardio giving out before the legs, on some really long runs (like the 18 and 20 kms before the race), my lungs/heart could have gone for HOURS, but my legs were like But if you're in PAIN during a run, you're overdoing it already. There should be effort, especially near the end, but not pain.

Consider the different PURPOSES of your runs. The long run should be long and slooooow. Use your 10:1 here especially. Your pace will be around 30 sec-90sec/km slower than your normal steady pace. You'll barely breathe hard...the purpose of the long run is to acclimatize your muscles, joints and other tissue (think soles of your feet) to the distance. Your body will adapt, become more efficient at oxygenating these areas over the long term. It's really important to build this distance slowly...this is where a lot of injury will occur otherwise.

Your shorter runs can do two things: build strength, or build cardio endurance. For strength, try hills. Do a really easy 2-3 km warm up, find a nice steep long hill, run up it at a fast pace, then walk down. Repeat 2-8 times (again, adding reps over time). Do an easy cooldown run back home. This will build leg strength.

For cardio, do shorter runs at a faster pace, and also try some speedplay (might be better for the buzz)...basically interval training...short bursts of intense speed at maximum effort, with slower pace run between bursts.

For base-building, just run on your regular terrain, at a steady pace, and gradually increase the mileage to about 8-10 kms or so. Medium effort here too.

I understand the desire to add on as much mileage as possible, as quickly as possible, but long-distance running really is a sport where (in training, anyways), slow and steady wins the race.
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks bendyfoot

I am not sure what you meant by 10:1

I live on the perfect road for hill training, it is very hilly and for my long runs (this is the road I do my 6km run on), I run on the 1000 Island Parkway for my 12km run, which is somewhat flat.

So I should do each one of these every week? Monday, hills, Wednesday, cardio, Saturday long and slow. I also go to the gym Mon-Fri for eliptical/weights so that should take care of keeping my cardio up.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 4th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Geek Club CEO

Run for 10 minutes, brisk walk for 1.

Check out this training program from the Running Room:

http://www.runningroom.com/hm/inside.php?id=3133
Old February 6th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I looked at their training program, but I just can't run everyday , my legs really need at least a day break between runs. , think it must be my age

I did 10.5km this morning at a good slow pace (est hr @ 140-150), approx 1.25hrs, and boy was it cold, well actually only my face was cold where the wind could get to it. My drink bottle froze up on me

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 6th, 2010, 11:40 AM
-

Quote:

I did 10.5km this morning at a good slow pace (est hr @ 140-150), approx 1.25hrs,
good girl !!!!
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

So here is my problem:

Late to the party but a few things if you're interested . . . . .

Your injury/tightness issues actually sounds like you are not taking some time for some stretching AFTER your run.

You almost never feel like you have to stretch after a run but not doing so shows up the next day and the next with tight tendons and other aches. It will just kill you with pain eventually and you'll have a hard time extending to the longer distances.

Very important, critically so, to stretch AFTER your runs to set up the next run. You'd probably find you'd be able to run more frequently as well.

Second, instead of measuring your progress by distance you might do it by measuring time as well. "Today I'm running 90 minutes at a pace 30 seconds per kilometre slower than what I want to race at, so I can extend the distance." Or you might do some intervals at a fast pace.

Third, as the time and distances you're capable of get stretched out, you'll find pyschology will start to come into play . . . . . you'll probably have to toughen up considerably mentally to be running for an hour and a half and two hours at a time. I don't wear an I-Pod or anything so I've got to come up with lots to think about. Long-distance running goes a lot better if you're on auto-pilot and not thinking about your legs or form.

Fourth, as you're piling on the kilometres/miles, you'll be surprised to find you'll have to replace your footwear more often, maybe somewhere between 600 km to 800 km.

Fifth, I have some nice, deserted country highways I can run on, where oil is poured over gravel, creating a pavement like surface that's softer than normal highway pavement or the pavement on city pathways. I can also run down the middle of the road or on either side due to the lack of traffic, shifting the burden to different knees/ankles or evening it out to each side/hip. Most highways are slanted on the shoulders to drain excess water and it's something you should pay attention to lest you injure yourself.

Sixth, sign yourself up for some future 10km's and, if you can find them because they're rare, 16 km races, to give yourself some experience in a timed environment.

Seventh, enjoy yourself. Take it easy. Rest when you have to.

Eighth, a good book with training schedules for half marathons and full marathons and other tips is "Running, Start To Finish" by John Stanton (I think he's the Running Room guy).

Ninth, as you're stretching out into the hour area and beyond, you should be carrying liquids, water or water mixed with GU2O. Longer and you might want to carry some banana chips to munch on or whatever turns your crank, which all helps to prevent cramping and keep your energy level up.

I've run tons of half marathons (12 of them, I believe, in 2007-09, including Big Sur and Amsterdam and two marathons in the last year (the last two not as well as I wanted though. Still learning the marathon distance). I seem to be better at the half's because I'm only a halfways fanatic whereas a full marathon requires a little more dedication. But I'm going to keep plugging away at the full marathons until I get it right.

I love, love running in winter. Not all days because that would be crazy but running 32 km for three hours and ending up with icicles all over you and a frozen woohoo is a nice way to start a morning. Until the woohoo starts to thaw.

Good luck with your training and remember to stretch after your runs. Every single run. And that book is awesome for giving you an idea of training schedules.

Hope that helps.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thank you, Rick, loved looking at your pics (all of them actually) of Hawaii . A coworker of mine follows your blog, she is a trail/snowshoe runner (very serious), her DH does the 100 miler (and won) in Haliburton and she has completed (and won) the 3 day Rock and Ice competition in Yellowknife.

I think you are right on about the stretching. I wasn't doing it seriously when I first started and am now trying to do it and have found a difference, but am still in pain after a run, short or long. I find my pain is in different areas after each run. Maybe I am not doing enough

I bought two new pairs of running shoes after being assessed at the Running Room which I alternate on my runs, I will change them often, my old bones just won't be able to handle too much impact

GU2O (now GU Brew) is my SAVIOUR while biking, running and eliptical . I stop every 3km for a drink. Makes a huge difference in my energy levels.

I don't run with an Ipod or any other listening device. I live in the heart of the 1000 Islands and run along the Parkway. Although not as beautiful as Jasper or Banff, it comes close because of the water. The views I get on my run makes me forget any pain I am feeling.

I am still learning my pace and am trying to keep it down on my longer runs

I will pop into the Running Room, Kingston to look for John's book, thanks. Hopefully, he has stretching exercises, including ones that can be done outside in the snow, I have looked at some websites and they are done inside or outside on the grass . What about us that run outside in the winter in Canada Yup, I run even when it is -30, just have to add an additional layer

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 15th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I run!
I run for food and beer every chance I get!
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypitgirls View Post
I run!
I run for food and beer every chance I get!
OMG, good thing I wasn't taking a sip of my beer, I would have spit it out all over the computer, I laughed so hard when I read this.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 15th, 2010, 08:59 PM

I dont run, maybe I should, I find it hard on my legs when I try, I think it could be due to gait. I have read some interesting articles on bare-foot running that are interesting and might inspire me to actually give it another go. Very interesting the thought that the shoes we wear manipulate our gait as we run, making it more difficult on our bodies by training us towards heel-striking which is apperently the root cause of most running indjuries.
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Update

Just an update on the pain in my legs. I had my coworker's husband who is an ultra marathon runner check out the shoes I was wearing and my running style. I had bought some Saucony Hurricanes online, thinking they were a neutral shoe , but they were motion control, so I stopped wearing them and the pain went away . I now stick to my Saucony Progrids and Adistar Rides and there is zero pain.

Sooooooo it was the shoes, not my old age .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old May 16th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

I used to be a runner back in my teens, cross country team. I've gotten away from it.
My DH has recently really gotten into running, especially after he read the book 'Born to Run', now all he talks about is running, lol. He's signed up for a triathlon this summer up near Algonquin park.

I occasionally jog still, but I get shin splints so bad, and I was properly fitted with shoes at a running room. Admittedly I'm a bit heavier than I was a few years ago which is probably really causing my shin pain.

I think I might be inspired to start going at it again.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacer View Post
I used to be a runner back in my teens, cross country team. I've gotten away from it.
My DH has recently really gotten into running, especially after he read the book 'Born to Run', now all he talks about is running, lol. He's signed up for a triathlon this summer up near Algonquin park.

I occasionally jog still, but I get shin splints so bad, and I was properly fitted with shoes at a running room. Admittedly I'm a bit heavier than I was a few years ago which is probably really causing my shin pain.

I think I might be inspired to start going at it again.
I am really more of a biker than runner, I just got into running because I couldn't stand working out inside and wanted to take up something that would carry me through the winter until I could bike again.

I admire those triathletes, I am such an uncoordinated swimmer (as in doggy paddle ) so I could never do one of them .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)