Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 29th, 2008, 02:56 PM

Potty Training - HELP

Hello,

I have a 13 weeks old sheltie and I've been trying to potty train it to go outside, but he just won't go!

He have been previously going on newspaper in the house.

I'm doing the crate thing... but its not working.

I take him out after eating and playing.. I know he has to go but he won't do it. When I bring him back I see him going to go, so I took him out but nothing happens. I put him in his crate... then outside... I've been doing this for over a hour. But he just won't go outside. I even place newspaper with pee outside.

I don't know what to do! Please give me some advice. Thanks!!!
Old December 29th, 2008, 05:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

At 13 weeks, your dog is still just a wee pup. With patience and persistence, the housebreaking will happen--you just need to give it more time. He's been used to going inside the house and it will take a while to break him of the habit.

If you catch him in the act, use a gutteral correction (a rough ayn-ayn in the throat), pick him up and take him outside to finish up. Be prepared to wait a while...he's not used to going outside and he'll need lots of patience from you while he figures it out. Don't yell or rub his nose in it--just take him outside. And when you finally do see him go in the proper place (outside), praise him up as if he's just done the most marvelous thing in the world.

If you don't catch him in the act, don't punish him at all--he won't have a clue what you're mad about. The lesson is already lost. So just clean it up and try to watch him more closely next time.

Watch what he's doing and see if you can pick up the signals immediately preceding an accident. Eventually, you'll be able to see the signs and get him out before he goes. When he goes outside, remember to praise him.

Also, invest in a good enzymatic cleanser made to eliminate the odor of urine. Without the cleaner, even if you can't smell it, I can guarantee you your pup can, and he'll take it as a marker for a place where he can go again. So if you aren't already using a cleaner especially made for urine, for sure pick one up as soon as you can.

Good luck with your little guy, rubbish. It takes time, persistence and patience, but it will happen!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 30th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Investigative researcher

When they are transitioning to outside, you need a lot of time to devote to them. When you take him out, you don't wait 10 minutes or half an hr, you wait until he goes--however long it takes. A long leash and a book sometimes works in good weather. In bad, you must just walk around until he has to go or burst. When he does finally go--LOADS of praise and excitement on your part--best puppy ever! Anything he used indoors to pee on should be outside to give him the idea. Goodluck, it will happen, just takes work.
Old January 1st, 2009, 03:10 AM

Thanks so much for the advice. He finally figure it out.
Old January 1st, 2009, 12:08 PM
cat stuck in a human body

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbish View Post
Hello,

I have a 13 weeks old sheltie and I've been trying to potty train it to go outside, but he just won't go!

He have been previously going on newspaper in the house.

I'm doing the crate thing... but its not working.

I take him out after eating and playing.. I know he has to go but he won't do it. When I bring him back I see him going to go, so I took him out but nothing happens. I put him in his crate... then outside... I've been doing this for over a hour. But he just won't go outside. I even place newspaper with pee outside.

I don't know what to do! Please give me some advice. Thanks!!!
I'm sure I'll get heckled for posting this:
Paul Loeb method for potty training a dog:
this method works VERY quickly, most dogs will understand/pick this up in less than 2 days.
mature dogs (a year old or more) will get this in a few HOURS, and after learning, hardly EVER make mistakes, while puppies will take a little longer as their memories aren't as established as a mature dog, and they need more "reminders"
you'll need:
roll of paper towels
bottle of white vinegar (I fill a small squeeze"kethup" bottle)
bottle of tabasco
dogs sense of smell is acutely attuned to acids, they can pick up only a couple of parts per BILLION with acids, and is how they communicate with urine. you will use the vinegar as your "pee", the dog will instantly understand that by covering doggy urine with the vinegar, you are "claiming" the floor.

here's the procedure: when doggie makes a mistake, you go get the dog and bring them to the urine/poop spot, it is CRITICAL that you have NO EMOTION when you do this, you must remain calm, or doggie will get confused.
you should have already set the roll of towels, and the bottles of vinegar and tabasco nearby, now here's where most people freak out: sit on and straddle the dog so the head is sticking out between your legs, and take a rolled up towel and dab it in the urine, now place that IN the dogs mouth (yes, I know), now while the towel is in doggies mouth, you say "no" calmly, then squirt some of the vinegar onto the pee/poop, and take the towel out of doggies mouth, again dab it in the now "human scented" pee, and again place it in the dogs mouth, and repeat the "no", again VERY CALM,..now remove the towel from doggies mouth, and take a tiny drop of the tabasco on your finger, and dab it on doggies upper gums, just under the nose, and again repeat the "no" command,......now calmly release doggie, and let them go about their business,....for about 10-15 minutes after the "correction", just like ceasar says : "no talk, no touch, no eye contact" which helps re-enforce the training.

leave the vinegar urine spot as is for a few hours, so doggie runs across it several times, reminding them that YOU OWN THE FLOOR, then clean it up with an enzymatic cleaner, and I drop a couple of drops of the vinegar on the spot after it's clean, so that doggie gets a reminder that they are not allowed to pee/poop on the floor.

as you are potty training doggy, you'll need to pay careful attention to doggie so that when they need to go, you recognize the signs (looking around, whining, pawing at the floor, etc,..) and get them outside BEFORE THEY GO, and when doggie DOES go outside, give lots of praise, good boys/girls, and maybe even a treat, just whatever reward you give doggie, BE CONSISTENT.

remember a dog will not remember the ten thousand times you said "no", they just remember that ONE TIME YOU SAID YES so consistency is CRITICAL if you expect doggie to understand what your rules are.

now this will seem somewhat severe to the average dog layman, but I rehabilitate shelter dogs, and even with a 4 year old completely neglected, wild, non house trained dog , they "get it", in less than a day (most in just a few HOURS), and rarely make mistakes after.

nothing else I have tried works this well, or this quickly on SOOOO many dogs of all ages, and personality types.

let the flaming begin.

Last edited by reckon; January 1st, 2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old January 1st, 2009, 04:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I've never had to resort to such a thing, reckon...even with my 2-yr-old non-housebroken rescue...and have never had trouble getting a dog to catch on pretty quickly. I wouldn't recommend such harsh training, especially with rescue whose history you don't know.

Slapping your kid upside the head when they do wrong will work, too, but what does it do to the kid?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 1st, 2009, 06:17 PM
cat stuck in a human body

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I've never had to resort to such a thing, reckon...even with my 2-yr-old non-housebroken rescue...and have never had trouble getting a dog to catch on pretty quickly. I wouldn't recommend such harsh training, especially with rescue whose history you don't know.

Slapping your kid upside the head when they do wrong will work, too, but what does it do to the kid?
this is NOT "slapping your kid/dog upside the head", wow, what a insulting thing to say, glad you have such an open mind

see? this is what I was saying, this is NOT a rough thing, or harsh in any way, the dog never feels threatened, and I never have any trouble with them in this.

if you saw me do it, you'd understand

anyway, glad you totally misunderstood, thanks for that

if you guys want pee and poop in your house for two months before doggie gets it, that's up to you, I just posted this so you'd see an alternative method that even works on older dogs, and quickly, because you are "speaking dog", and using urine to communicate what your rules are, just like THEY DO.

but I expected this, seems I know people better than dogs and cats.

Last edited by reckon; January 1st, 2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old January 1st, 2009, 07:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Potty Training - HELP

omg, now I've heard every possible abusive method of house training. Way to go.
Old January 1st, 2009, 07:58 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

IMO, if you wouldn't want it done to you, you shouldn't do it to your dog. Simple.

rubbish - good advice above from hazelrunpack and DoubleRR. Remember that it takes a lot of patience and you can't reasonably expect your dog to be 100% reliable until at least 6 months of age. Even then, illness, stress, etc. can cause isolated accidents.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:09 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckon View Post
I'm sure I'll get heckled for posting this:
Paul Loeb method for potty training a dog:
this method works VERY quickly, most dogs will understand/pick this up in less than 2 days.
mature dogs (a year old or more) will get this in a few HOURS, and after learning, hardly EVER make mistakes, while puppies will take a little longer as their memories aren't as established as a mature dog, and they need more "reminders"
you'll need:
roll of paper towels
bottle of white vinegar (I fill a small squeeze"kethup" bottle)
bottle of tabasco
dogs sense of smell is acutely attuned to acids, they can pick up only a couple of parts per BILLION with acids, and is how they communicate with urine. you will use the vinegar as your "pee", the dog will instantly understand that by covering doggy urine with the vinegar, you are "claiming" the floor.

here's the procedure: when doggie makes a mistake, you go get the dog and bring them to the urine/poop spot, it is CRITICAL that you have NO EMOTION when you do this, you must remain calm, or doggie will get confused.
you should have already set the roll of towels, and the bottles of vinegar and tabasco nearby, now here's where most people freak out: sit on and straddle the dog so the head is sticking out between your legs, and take a rolled up towel and dab it in the urine, now place that IN the dogs mouth (yes, I know), now while the towel is in doggies mouth, you say "no" calmly, then squirt some of the vinegar onto the pee/poop, and take the towel out of doggies mouth, again dab it in the now "human scented" pee, and again place it in the dogs mouth, and repeat the "no", again VERY CALM,..now remove the towel from doggies mouth, and take a tiny drop of the tabasco on your finger, and dab it on doggies upper gums, just under the nose, and again repeat the "no" command,......now calmly release doggie, and let them go about their business,....for about 10-15 minutes after the "correction", just like ceasar says : "no talk, no touch, no eye contact" which helps re-enforce the training.

leave the vinegar urine spot as is for a few hours, so doggie runs across it several times, reminding them that YOU OWN THE FLOOR, then clean it up with an enzymatic cleaner, and I drop a couple of drops of the vinegar on the spot after it's clean, so that doggie gets a reminder that they are not allowed to pee/poop on the floor.

as you are potty training doggy, you'll need to pay careful attention to doggie so that when they need to go, you recognize the signs (looking around, whining, pawing at the floor, etc,..) and get them outside BEFORE THEY GO, and when doggie DOES go outside, give lots of praise, good boys/girls, and maybe even a treat, just whatever reward you give doggie, BE CONSISTENT.

remember a dog will not remember the ten thousand times you said "no", they just remember that ONE TIME YOU SAID YES so consistency is CRITICAL if you expect doggie to understand what your rules are.

now this will seem somewhat severe to the average dog layman, but I rehabilitate shelter dogs, and even with a 4 year old completely neglected, wild, non house trained dog , they "get it", in less than a day (most in just a few HOURS), and rarely make mistakes after.

nothing else I have tried works this well, or this quickly on SOOOO many dogs of all ages, and personality types.

let the flaming begin.
Thank you so much for putting up this method. I have been trying to break my 6 month old puppy for peeing on the baby gate that we put up in the kitchen when he goes to bed (I fear that he will go throughout the house if we let him loose). I really hope that he takes to this method though. When I read the method at first I was a little bewildered about putting pee in my puppies mouth and what not, but then again I thought that it made sense because it kind of plays along with how dogs claim their territory as well. Thanks again!