Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old July 17th, 2006, 01:32 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Hypo Allegetic Breed

I just got a call from a woman who was at a pet shop this morning and almost bought a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier for $1399. She decided instead to wait and call a few "breeders" from the paper which were cheaper and came with a guarantee. Anyway ... thank gawwd she called me *still wiping sweat from my forehead* before any purchase were made.

I do not much about breeds so I have to ask you guys. She definately is looking for a hypo allegetic breed as one of her son's has allergies, not too big and maybe not a high high energy level kinda breed. I thought well not the Wheaten then ... but in my opinion maybe toy/miniature poodle? A little Itralian Greyhound? Maltese? I do know her and she would make a wonderful home and I suggested going through a rescue. She has 3 boys none younger then 10.

I sent her a few web sites with information on rescues so she can get a general idea but in the meantime I thought I'd ask some of you guys your input on what breed should I direct her to that might be a good match for what she's looking for. She did love the Wheaten look BTW but I thought "poodle" myself ?
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:06 PM

Wheatens are non-shedders but many are WOW high-energy. Lovely dogs though!
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Senior Contributor

My mom has dog allergies. She has found that poodles, yorkies, and bichon's don't bother her allergies so long as they are not directly in her face.
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Senior Contributor

this is a standard list:

* Xoloitzcuintle (Mexican Hairless)
* American Hairless Terrier
* Chinese Crested (Hairless)
* Peruvian Inca Orchid
* Chinese Crested (Powder Puff)
* Poodles (all sizes)
* Schnauzers (all sizes)
* Portuguese Water Dog
* Bichon Frise
* Soft-coated Wheaten Terrier
* Coton de Tulear
* Kerry Blue Terrier
* West Highland White Terrier
* Bedlington Terrier
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I think wheatons are great and they are great with kids. They are big enough for boys to play with and not get hurt.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 17th, 2006, 07:43 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

They did own a cat for a few years (and it survived )they had to give it to the grandparents who just live downstairs because of the more serious allergic reaction one of the kids was getting a few months back. I know Wheatons are wonderful dogs but after she met the one this morning she did wonder when full grown would it be too strong for the kids to walk. Basically they will be the groomers/walkers LOL oh sure that's what they all say

I'm sure that's why she was inquiring about a smaller dog maybe she'd feel a bit safer for both the kids and dog. One mini poodle I know sure scares the crap out of most of our dogs it's very funny to watch. But I do know what your saying Mastiflower, accidents can happen especially if their really tiny and well kids will be kids.

Is Bichon's much bigger then say a standard poodle?
Old July 17th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Senior Contributor

No they are not to big and the females are smaller than the males. They are smaller than Goldens or Labs. Non shedding I remember having a dog that did not shed oh the luxury well on that note I am going to sweep again
Old July 17th, 2006, 08:17 PM

whichever they decide, make sure they spend some time with adult dogs of that breed.. no breed is hypoallergenic for everyone, and some 'allergic' breeds don't cause a reaction in people.
Old July 17th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Senior Contributor

You are right but each dog is different it is the dander that causes the allergy. But for some reason non shedders seem to be better.
Old July 17th, 2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytris
whichever they decide, make sure they spend some time with adult dogs of that breed.. no breed is hypoallergenic for everyone, and some 'allergic' breeds don't cause a reaction in people.
I agree. I know people who are ONLY allergic to the hair types of dogs and not the fur types. It's a different dander, maybe, but not hypoallergenic. The only way to be sure is to go to a breeder and walk around and see what happens. If they have a few, you'll get a more intense reaction than just one but if it is truly "hypoallergenic", you shouldn't have any reaction at all, right?

Better to do that than rehome yet another small, white, fluffy dog.
Old July 17th, 2006, 09:29 PM

For what it's worth, our allergist told us that allergic people usually have trouble with cats but not dogs. Our family members are highly allergic and we've haven't had any problems with our 6 dogs over the past 15 years. (Grass, weeds, molds and dust are a different story.)

Anyway, it may be a myth but I've also heard that short-haired chihuahuas are good for people with allergies.
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Italian greyhounds are pretty active as youngsters, and wil tend to get upfurniture and counters, much like a cat jumping from one piece of furniture to another, the fine boned ones are fragile so broken legs can be common, they can be hard to house train, the other breeds on the list that I know are also hard to house train are

* Xoloitzcuintle (Mexican Hairless)
* Chinese Crested (Hairless)
* Peruvian Inca Orchid
* Chinese Crested (Powder Puff)

the chinese crested both type require frequent bathing, the hairless up to 2 or 3 times a week plus they have to have their skin foliated otherwise the get blackheads and pimples and conditioner applied to prevent skin from getting dry, some do grow some body hair here and there so need to be shaved plus have to put sunscreen on for outside, this is pretty much true with all hairless breeds (the first 3 above) The Powder puff still should be bathed once a week, and hair cuts between toes and tidy up around the feet and under the tail and may wish to shave the face

The exception is the American hairless, they do need sunscreen though and they are susceptible to grass allergies, lively stubborn and territorial, they will be susceptible to skin cuts since no hair to protect the skin

all of the others on the list will also be high maintenance in terms of grooming, some of the breeds will also have a fair bit of dental problems, so toothbrushing will have to be done regularily and cost will be higher to send to a groomers every 6 to 8 weeks for haircuts and possibly dentals every year so could easily add $1000 to the cost of upkeep between grooming and dentals a year

Basenji's are consider low allergy, low grooming needs about 25 lbs

Quote:
Are Basenjis hyper?
Basenjis are hunters. They require a fairly high amount of activity to keep them out of trouble. An adult may need to run full out for an hour to be happy, while some may require nothing more than a nice walk.
But this is a deceptive question. Most Basenjis are active -- but do not "bounce" like other active dogs and when most folks meet them, they appear quite calm.
She should do her research carefully on whatever breeds she is interested , her children are at an age where friends are going to start becoming the most important part of their lives, they will be living on the phone, computer or off with friends and their interest in the dog will drop way off and may forget to feed water take it outside etc., and if she is expecting the kids to do most the care, she will likely find herself in a daily battle with the boys, which really is not worth it, so she should be planning that much of the dogs care will fall on her shoulders once the novelty wears off or the interest in friends takes , so she should picking a breed based on that and what energy she can devote to it, in ters of grooming and exercise
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Senior Contributor

while it's true a basenji has low grooming needs, is a VERY clean dog, is a good size (medium), and CAN be good for those who have allergies (they can still trigger allergies in some ppl), they can be difficult and frustrating, and a family should really know what they're signing up for if they choose one.

Here's a good resource for basenji rescue and information:
http://www.basenjirescue.org/

good luck helping this family find a dog!
Old July 18th, 2006, 12:01 PM
An Honest Contributor

Wow ... really good advice here thank you! Spending time with an adult of whatever breed they chose to see if her son get's any reactions is a fantastic idea!

I've forward everything that's been said here basically. Along with the website to a reputable Wheaten's Breeder as well as the Basenji Rescue - thanks Mastiflower & Jess. I just want to say I only forwarded these breeders to her because on both web sites it clearly states "WILL NOT PLACE INTACT DOGS" as I am so weiry of breeding facilities << even paranoid (got even punished here for a week ) but you can never be too careful IMO

I have to say though 24 hrs ago this woman was shopping at a pet store then called local breeders and today she just told me after my looong speech about puppy millers she took her 3 kids and went to the Montreal SPCA I am just so impressed because I do know her and well I would of thought she might of taken to easiest resistance and returned to the pet store. She is really doing alot of homework here and although she wasn't lucky yesterday with any hypoallergenic dogs looking for a home they told her to call everyday which she is. So between that, this info and maybe even a rescue reading this post, you never know so YAYY pets.ca!

OG: LOL I think we all know that story ... yes mom we will groom, walk, feed and give fresh water EVERY single day for the rest of my life, I swear to god or I will get struck by lightening and die mine even told me he will get a part time job and pay for the food and vet bills OMG what won't they say BUT we also know once that bundle comes into our lives it's usually US that forget all that
Old July 19th, 2006, 08:18 AM
An Honest Contributor

Yesterday this woman visited the Laval SPCA - there was this adorable little 2-1/2 M Bichon Maltais looking for a home. They walked and played with him. The dog seemed to love the boys. They went home and did some research on the breed then called me saying they found the perfect dog. Although one had a football game ... this was more important!!!

Well, I got a call 10ish saying their application was refused because the original owner wrote "no children under 15". They are so upset and I don't blame them. It's not that I don't understand but at the same time I don't understand. I'm sure this Bichon wouldnt of minded getting the hell out of there last night - that's for sure. I just hope but somehow doubt that after all this she won't just give up and go the least resistance route.
Old July 19th, 2006, 02:10 PM

Better to know before than to have one of the kids get bitten. Walking for 10 minutes with kids and living with kids all day every day are different things.

Good luck to them in finding the right dog.
Old July 19th, 2006, 08:10 PM
An Honest Contributor

I think Barnoti should put more effort in not adopting out INTACT animals and less time making judgement calls without cause.

I couldn't leave him there ... so meet the little Bichon Maltais, he's absolutely wonderful, looooooves children, played beautifully with both Misti and Brandi, not a ounce of nothing but pleasure :love:

He was apparently quite neglected and had ear infections that were never treated and was very matted. It says he lived in a cage in the woman's basement. She didn't even bother to tell them his name. He's not potty trained but that might just be out of nervousness -either way it won't take long as he's very eager to please and is sure slurping up all the attention he's now getting. This is one little confident guy who has made a wonderful family very happy and in return will have the best home ever.
Attached Images

Last edited by Golden Girls; July 19th, 2006 at 08:12 PM.
Old July 19th, 2006, 09:12 PM

NICE!
Old July 19th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Very cute I am sure he will catch on really quick. Glad he is getting a good home.