Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 18th, 2009, 12:33 PM

Very Upset please I need advice.....

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been here in a while just a very busy life getting one son ready for 8th grade and the other for first year of College and loving my fur baby. I'm extremely upset and I don't know what to do. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. Before I'm jumped on the dog has been to the vet several times for this.

I have a Shih Tzu male who is going to be 10 months old Aug 20th. I had him neutered May 15th and cried the whole two days. He was so out of it and I was really scared but he was fine. Just really doped up and I never saw anything like that. I didn't leave his side.

Yes the puppy is a puppy mill dog. I did not set out to do this. I don't even go into puppy stores. My sister needed me to pick something up for her and I saw him and fell in love with him. He was already 4 months old and I heard them say he was at their other story and that he was getting old. Well we bought him and he has been a fantastic puppy.

He is bell trained to go out side. He loves to cuddle and we only feed him Natural Balance. Sometimes we will give him some cooked ground turkey mixed in his food. He loves baby raw carrots and we are careful with his treats not giving him wheat or soy of red dye #40. I bought him a water bottle from Aqua babies to drink from and he only gets spring water.

Here is my problem. I noticed that every time he went out to pee he would drop down and lick himself. It was like he had a burning sensation. It would come and go so when I noticed it happening more I made an appointment with the vet and had him checked. It came back that he had blood in his urine and had a UTI. He was put on Amoxicellin for 14 days but on the 10th day I was told to bring in another urine sample. I do clean catches with a sterile container. (human urine sample cup) Well he still had the UTI so I was told to stop the amoxicellin and start the Clavamox he was put on 62.5 mgs giving him 1 and a half 2 x's a day and bring in urine again between 9 to 12 days. I brought in the Urine today which is day 10 and he is no better.

Now I'm told that he will need x-rays and ultra sound and a urine cultural. This will cost 375.00 on top of the 225.00 that I have already spent. Now I asked the vet if we could do a clean catch Urine cultural first to see if the antibiotics were the right one for the infection he said that they are done all together but the girls said yes they could do that and it would be 75.00. My reason for this is if they are not giving him the right antibiotics for the infection that this could go on forever. Not to mention I don't want my dog on antibiotics for so long. I don't even like them for my kids.

I have front lined him 3 times 6-7 weeks apart so far but I'm scared to do it again and am looking for something more natural. He has had the Lyme vaccine due to where we live and I myself have Lyme. Could there be something really seriously wrong with my puppy. He is like one of my kids and I'm really upset as to what is going on. I read that Shih Tzu's could have renal disease but when he was netured they gave me the option as to weather or not to have blood work for 75.00 on top of the neutering and I said yes. I have copies of all the labs that were run and they are perfect.

He is well groomed, peter kept clean and hair is shaved in that area. He is groomed every month.

Please give me advice. I'm so upset I don't know what to do. I don't even know what could cause this?

Sami
Old August 18th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I''m sorry your pup is going through this.

Have you thought about taking him to another vet for another opinion? Maybe there is something your vet isn't looking for that another vet can find.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

A clean catch sample won't give you a decent culture, Sami. Too many contaminants. So if you do the culture, have them do a cystocentesis...they extract urine from the bladder via a needle and can get a more sterile sample.

Having them just do the culture from that will be much less expensive than the xrays and ultrasound. It could be that he needs a different type of antibiotic. Since they were going to do a culture, anyway, when they did the xrays and ultrasound, it's a good first step. If the results indicate that there's something more going on, you can always opt to have xrays and ultrasound done later--that will give you some time to put a little extra money aside each week to put toward future expenses.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 18th, 2009, 02:26 PM

What would best for the puppy? I will get the money I just don't want to put the dog through all of this if it's something that I'm doing wrong. I called a bit ago and they are going to spin down the urine and see if there is crystals in it. At least this will give me one answer.

Is there something that I can do naturally to help with the UTI? Could this be the food?

The Vet is a great Vet but he's not cheap. Just to have the urine dipped in house is 29.00 that's without a visit. The last dose of meds were 47.00 and his office visit is 43 for non emergency.

I thought the water bottle would be good but then it may hold bacteria so now he's getting water in a glass bowl.

He's not a big drinker nor eater but he weighs 13 lbs at 10 months. He free feeds. I tried for months to put the food down for 30 minutes then remove it but he refuses to eat. So now I know he will eat 1 cup of food a day so as long as he eats that I'm find with it.

Thanks for the advice and concern.
Sami
Old August 18th, 2009, 02:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Best thing for puppy is to get to the root cause of the problem--and I'm afraid that means working with a vet to pinpoint it.

Food choices might help, especially if it turns out to be stones, but probably won't be a cure-all. What are you feeding him now?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 18th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
A clean catch sample won't give you a decent culture, Sami. Too many contaminants. So if you do the culture, have them do a cystocentesis...they extract urine from the bladder via a needle and can get a more sterile sample.

Having them just do the culture from that will be much less expensive than the xrays and ultrasound. It could be that he needs a different type of antibiotic. Since they were going to do a culture, anyway, when they did the xrays and ultrasound, it's a good first step. If the results indicate that there's something more going on, you can always opt to have xrays and ultrasound done later--that will give you some time to put a little extra money aside each week to put toward future expenses.

I completely agree here, it's my thoughts exactly. Have them start with the cysto and the culture&sensitivity. This could be a simple case of the wrong antibiotics. Once you know what critter you're dealing with you can treat is more effectively.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old August 18th, 2009, 05:48 PM

They did a urine gravity and it was high. One of the problems I am having with him is he refuses to drink. I even bought him a Aqua baby water bottle but he just doesn't drink. I was told this could very well be the problem. How can I get him to drink? He has fresh water at all times and it's spring water.
Old August 18th, 2009, 05:58 PM

Will he eat some really watered down canned food? That is strange, and scary, that he wont drink water.
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:00 PM

Have you tried tap water? Maybe he doesnt like the spring water. I imagine it would burn to pee if he wont drink, poor little guy. Maybe he was not used to having water available