Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old December 7th, 2010, 11:19 AM

Kibble

Hi All,

I am still on my quest for a good kibble for my 2 Setters. We are not paupers but purchasing brands such as EVO, TOTW or anything else similar that costs more than $1.50 a lb is just not in our budget. After ruling out just about everything I can find locally that is grain-heavy or just too pricey, I have come up with the following. It is a large breed formula. Any comments??

Chicken meal, chicken, oatmeal, dehulled barley, brown rice, brewers rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural chicken flavour, tomatoes, whole dried egg, herring meal, flaxseed, brewers yeast, salmon oil (source of dha), whole sweet potatoes, whole carrots, whole blueberries, whole cranberries, whole apples, calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sodium chloride, chicory root extract, choline chloride, vitamins & chelated minerals (vitamin a, vitamin d3, vitamin e, niacin, vitamin c, inositol, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, beta carotene, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, vitamin k, biotin, vitamin b12 supplement, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulphate, iron proteinate, zinc oxide, copper proteinate, copper sulphate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), probiotics (lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus casei, enterococcus faecium, bifidobacterium thermophilum), dl-methionine, glucosamine, yucca schidigera, chondroitin sulphate, dried rosemary.

Crude Protein - 23%
Crude Fat - 13%
Crude Fibre - 4%
Moisture - 10%
Omega 6 Fatty Acids - 1.8%
Omega 3 Fatty Acids - 0.4%
Glucosamine - 350mg/kg
Condroitin - 50mg/kg

390kcal/cup

Guideline for 80 lb. dog is 2-1/4 to 3-1/4 cups per day.

BTW, canned food usually makes up about 1/4 of each meal (morning and evening).

Thanks for any info.

Last edited by Sirrah; December 7th, 2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old December 7th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Senior Contributor

I am feeding Acana right now, but I also have small dogs. I have looked at a lot of labels last few years. It's mind boggling. A couple that stands out is "Fromm Gold" "Shur Gain (grain free) Fish" "Canidae" was very affordable. I also use canned but sometime my grocery store reduces or has an amazing sale on ground meats, so I buy a bunch, slow boil it up and freeze in small quantities to give them extra meat protein. Price it beside canned and it's way cheaper. Your food sounds good to me. Two meats in the first 2 ingredients.......others may have more knowledge here I'm sure.
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:13 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I'm sure with the extensive research you have done you've read more than once if you feed a better quality food you have to feed less of it. Therefore one that costs more may well end up being cheaper in the long run.
How much of that food will not be absorbed by the dog but instead pass right through? Otherwords - how big are the BMs? Especially with the first ingredient not really a "food". That's another advantage to better quality foods. They absorb more into their bodies therefore less passes through to become fertilizer on the ground.
There are tons of members much more knowledgeable about dog foods than I that hopefully will come along and put in their two cents but to me it just makes more sense.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
I am feeding Acana right now, but I also have small dogs. I have looked at a lot of labels last few years. It's mind boggling. A couple that stands out is "Fromm Gold" "Shur Gain (grain free) Fish" "Canidae" was very affordable. I also use canned but sometime my grocery store reduces or has an amazing sale on ground meats, so I buy a bunch, slow boil it up and freeze in small quantities to give them extra meat protein. Price it beside canned and it's way cheaper. Your food sounds good to me. Two meats in the first 2 ingredients.......others may have more knowledge here I'm sure.

Thanks for info.

In addition to their usual kibble/canned meal, the 'kids' always get a large dollop of plain yogurt and 1000 mg glucosamine. Like you, I also buy beef/poultry when on sale and will replace it for the canned. They also get boiled veggies and other suitable table scraps from time to time.

My dilemma is that I only recently started checking and questioning the ingredients in kibble and I was horrified to find that what I was feeding the 'kids' was downright unhealthy (main ingredients were all grain). I'm just looking for the best I can afford. The kibble I mentioned works out to $1.17 per lb ($35 for a 30 lb bag). I have yet to buy it but it did seem good to me for the price; but, I am just a newbie in this area and like you said 'it's mind boggling'.
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Your right 14+ I had to cut the food down for my two who are on Acana, from 1 cup to 2/3 cup per day. Better the food, less you feed. One of the higher caloric count foods is the Go chicken, by far exceeds the average. Beware of extra bulk, it's just a filler and not digested.
Old December 7th, 2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I'm sure with the extensive research you have done you've read more than once if you feed a better quality food you have to feed less of it. Therefore one that costs more may well end up being cheaper in the long run.
How much of that food will not be absorbed by the dog but instead pass right through? Otherwords - how big are the BMs? Especially with the first ingredient not really a "food". That's another advantage to better quality foods. They absorb more into their bodies therefore less passes through to become fertilizer on the ground.
There are tons of members much more knowledgeable about dog foods than I that hopefully will come along and put in their two cents but to me it just makes more sense.
Many thanks for your input. I appreciate all thoughts on the matter.

While I do tend to agree with you somewhat, I must say that I am of the opinion that expensive does not necessarily mean better. I have paid $60+ for 30 lbs (over $2.00 lb) only to find (according to www.dogfoodanalysis.com) that what I have been feeding my precious ‘kids’ was not much more than chicken feed.

I take all information I receive seriously and I sincerely thank you for your ‘2 cents worth’. My main goal is to, hopefully, find the very best for the least amount of $$$. My budget is, What my budget is.

OBTW , unfortunately, I cannot check their BM’s. I wish I could because my Vet is always giving me heck for not being able to bring in a sample. I live on 5.5 acres (2 cleared; 3+ thick bush/forest on 3 sides). When the ‘kids’ have to go, they head straight deep into the bush where ‘no-man dares to follow’. On the upside, they don’t leave me any presents on the lawn area.
Old December 7th, 2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Your right 14+ I had to cut the food down for my two who are on Acana, from 1 cup to 2/3 cup per day. Better the food, less you feed. One of the higher caloric count foods is the Go chicken, by far exceeds the average. Beware of extra bulk, it's just a filler and not digested.
Hi Marty,

So sorry, but don't understand your reference to '14+'. ???
Old December 7th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

All I was saying is the higher digestable content in the food, the less you have to feed. If you look at say "Dog Chow" the amount you feed is huge compared to the higher quality feed. My two gained weight on the higher protein and then I found out that they digest more of the food therefore I could cut back on the amount.
Old December 7th, 2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
All I was saying is the higher digestable content in the food, the less you have to feed. If you look at say "Dog Chow" the amount you feed is huge compared to the higher quality feed. My two gained weight on the higher protein and then I found out that they digest more of the food therefore I could cut back on the amount.
OK understand now.

Thanks