Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 10th, 2004, 09:16 AM

Exclamation No Vet available & my puppy is really really sick. Please help....

I was give a puppy about 2 weeks ago. I think she is around 2 months old. Mixed breed. About 4 days ago she started to get sick. She was not eating nor drinking. Her tounge was white. I gave her some anti poison medicine (charcoal tablet) and anti worm tablet. She pooped the worms out and she has the appetite to eat but only a little. Now her stomach is so bloated that she can't rest on it. I think she will not survive for long if no help is given.

I have look for vet but there is not a single vet around. I took her to doctor but non accept. Please advice me what to do. This is my last resource. Please reply A.S.A.P. Thx

Ted
Old November 10th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Ted you have to get this dog to an emergency clinic. I wouldn't leave until they saw my dog. We cannot give you medical advice as we are only advid pet lovers, not vets. Please, do everything you can to get to an emergency vet and don't leave until they see your dog.
Old November 10th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Your pup may not live if it is not taken to a vet ASAP. This is very serious in a young pup like this. Pups usually do not leave their mother until at least 8 weeks of age, so this pup has already had a bad start in life. Please go into your phone book and find an emergency vet.

Heather
Old November 10th, 2004, 09:34 AM
<-----nut ball

Zoboz. Where do you live (just give me the city or if you are not comfortable with that, the state or province in the country you live in) and I will post some vets here for you.
Old November 10th, 2004, 05:25 PM

Dear all thank your for your help. I am so sad to say that my puppy did not make it through the night. I was with her up to 1.30 am and she showed signs that she was not going to make it. I tried to make her as comfortable as I can. This morning, she was just lying there breathless. We burried her at our backyard this morning.

I am in East Timor. I have went and asked around looking for vets but none is available. A friend of mine knows a vet but he was ovearsea.

Maybe some of you can give me an advice on dealing with puppies. What kind of shots needed and so on. I want to be sure that I can prevent this kind of thing from happening again.

Thanks.
Old November 10th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Ted I am so sorry about your puppy. First thing you need to do is find a vet and where there is an emergency clinic so if the need arises you will be able to act quickly. Puppies go through 3 sets of shots and should not be allowed around other dogs till they have all there shots. I am not an expert on puppies I havent had one in a long time so I am sure someone else will be able to help on that. I do know rabies, parvo, bortedella and lypto. I would go to your local library or book store and pick up a book on bring home a puppy and all that is involved and it will help you with training. My thoughts are with you and again I am so sorry for you and the pup.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 10th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Did a quick search and East Timor is in Indonesia. So many things that we take for granted may not be available. I know when I lived on Guam some 18 years ago, there were no book stores and only 3 vets. Dogs were kept tied up in the back yard and when puppies where old enough to leave their mother, they simply left. The number of dogs running loose on the island was staggering!

Ted, your best bet would be to do some book shopping online and some studying before you get another puppy. The "For Dummies" series of books are excellent. I know they have one for most breeds, I am sure there must be one for puppies. Check Amazon.com or dogwise.com. Also, start looking now for a vet. There must be one on the island somewhere. Ask people who own dogs what they do when their dogs get sick.
Old November 11th, 2004, 08:02 AM

Thanks for the advices. I will plan more carefully before having another puppy. I will read books and get ready stock of common dog medicine. Maybe I better learn all these and become a pet adviser here in east timor. Helping the lives of these lovely beings.....

Ted
Old November 11th, 2004, 08:29 AM
<-----nut ball

I just did a search and found out there are only 5 vets in all of East Timor, but I can't find a list of them.

Sorry about your pet. I wish I could have helped.
Old November 11th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Ted,I am so sorry for you and the little puppy...it's true we here in the western world take things for granted,my vet is 5 min away and an emergency clinic 15 min away.
Maybe in the memory of your pup,you could learn the veterinary basics,shots etc...and where you can aquire what you need,then the next puppy you get will have a better chance.I wish love alone would keep them healthy and happy,but unfortunately that is not the case.
Old November 11th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Ted, I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad that you're willing to do a little research before getting another dog, that's very responsible of you.
There are many ways for you to obtain information regarding shots and vet visits required for puppies.. the internet is a great place. By using "Google" you can type in what your looking for and surf through the results to find some specific information.
Once again, I'm very sorry for your loss. :sad:
Old November 11th, 2004, 09:58 AM

so so sorry. this is very sad news.
we do take so much for granted here in north america

:sad:
Old November 11th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Ted you could also get in touch with a veterinary school and find out if there is an internet class just for the basics, shots and minor problems. Something like this may exist or may not but you can do a search. I would suggest emailing the Universtiy of Guelph Veterinary Sciences program they may have some suggestions.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 11th, 2004, 12:56 PM
banned user

How :sad: I'm so so sorry.
Old November 11th, 2004, 01:17 PM
<-----nut ball

I did some research, there are no schools that offer training in East Timor right now. I beleive there is a program in Austrailia where you can apply and they pay to full cost for you to study in Austrailia if you say you will go back and practise in East Timor. Here is one link with great info:

http://www.abc.net.au/darwin/stories/s1043395.htm
Old November 11th, 2004, 10:19 PM

Exclamation poor baby

you said she was about two months old when you got her thats pritty young try giving her baby formula in a baby bottle pablem for example shes to young to go straight to dog food and water still have puppy food for her but try less harsh stuff for the lil ones belly. its like any young infant there stomacks cant handel the same stuff as a full grown dog
Old November 11th, 2004, 10:25 PM

Unhappy sorry for your loss

:sad: NO ANIMALE HOSPITALS NOTHING i cant believe in this day and age some places dont thing about animale care. the next time your family is lucky and have the joy off a dog make sure the people you get it from care for the mothers and the pups too many animals are breed in puppy mills where did you get the dog from check to see if other costimers have made the same kinds of complaints.