Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 29th, 2011, 06:24 PM

Fatty Liver Syndrome

Hi everyone, I am brand new to the forum. One of my cats became very ill last week and website searches brought me here.

My 5 year old female has been diagnosed with liver problems (she is jaundiced, weak, lost weight, not eating, etc) and after her initial few days at the vet where she was on IV's, etc., the home treatment method prescribed to me has been to force/assist feed her Hill's I/D food and give her a pill, Zentonil Advanced daily.

I didn't think it would too hard, but it is a nightmare. She does not like to be assist-feeded and I don't like doing it either. I don't know if its the taste of the Hill's or just the mere fact I'm trying to shove a syringe in her mouth (10 CC), but it does not go well. Maybe I am not putting enough water in the syringe, but sometimes it's hard to get out and she seems to spit a lot of out if she can. But I struggle through it, as I know it is imperative that she gets food as there is a fairly decent recovery rate.

On top of it all, I think she may be constipated. Maybe a result of the liver problems. I see her go to the litter box, try to do her thing, nothing comes out, then minute or so later she vomits. Urinating doesn't not appear to be an issue.

That said, I have some questions:
- Any tips on assist-feeding technique?
- How much food should I be giving her? How often in a day? Slow to start? What kind of dilution? Take in mind, she is quite sick, hasn't eaten in days, maybe a week or two?
- Is there any alternative to Hill's I/D - I think she absolutely hates it, but I know nutritionally it is supposed to be good (liver health product on the label)
- Is there any I could do to maybe relieve her constipation?

Sorry this is all new to me. But I know its serious, and want to do everything I can to keep my furry pet around.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Mark