Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 6th, 2013, 10:26 AM

New dog barks at husband

Hello, I need some help. A week a go we brought a 5 month Chihuahua/pug into our home, he bonded with me and my young daughters right away. He is also great with our cats and dog, my problem is when my husband comes home from work (he is away from the house about 12-13 hours a day) and in the mornings the pup will bark like mad and run either under the bed or outside. This behavior continues for a bit. What can we do to get this under control?
TIA Cheryl
Old February 6th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Do you know if the puppy was abused by a man before you got him ? How about taking one of your husband old t shirt that still has his B O and putting it in the puppy's bed so he will at least get use to your husband body sense.
Maybe this help the puppy get use to him. Your husband should get down on the floor and play the puppy and not stand over him while talking to him if he does this.
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Keep the pup on the leash when hubby comes home so he doesn't learn to habituate the behavior of running and hiding when he enters the room.

Then after hubby has a chance to relax and unwind, he needs to take the leash and bring the pup up on the couch or get on the floor with him and just relax. Do not let then pup leave the area (hence the leash). Hubby needs to NOT pressure the pup into interacting with him. Simply be together and try to relax. When the pup gets brave and shows interest he can gently rib the side of the pups face and then stop. Then a few minutes later do it again. Each time the pup realizes he means no harm and it actually feels good, he relaxes and starts to breathe. Hubby needs to become his safe, big friend and then we can look at creating a relationship built on love, trust and respect. But right now we have to focus on trust.

It would be good for you to show the puppy that you trust your hubby as well. When he sees you are happy to see him, and you enjoy his company then the pup will watch and reflect that too.

Be sure NOT to coo at the pup when he is acting nervous. Only praise him when he is acting brave - reward that!!

It can be frustrating and challenging to work with such a sensitive and reactive little guy. I just worked with a little 6 yr old Chihuahua who ALWAYS has to be muzzled and tranquilized to get his nails done. Today, with the right prep work and no muzzle or tranq's, I did his nails in seconds and he didn't fuss once. I point this out because if you do things the right way you can get great changes quickly.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I have edited the thread title so that it can be more easily found.

Tenderfoot training can correct me if I'm wrong, but it might not be a bad thing, when the puppy is calm, that the puppy SEE hubby preparing and giving the food during one of the mealtimes.

The "food giver", in the mind of a dog is usually an important and likeable person in its life.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 7th, 2013, 07:08 PM

Thank you all for all the information! I am sure the next days off (hubby is off) they will make great progress.
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I have edited the thread title so that it can be more easily found.

Tenderfoot training can correct me if I'm wrong, but it might not be a bad thing, when the puppy is calm, that the puppy SEE hubby preparing and giving the food during one of the mealtimes.

The "food giver", in the mind of a dog is usually an important and likeable person in its life.
you got that right about the food giver being an important and like able person in a pet life. My daughter feed the family's cat and the cat will wake her up at 5:30 AM by meowing in her face and not bother my daughter's husband.
Old February 8th, 2013, 06:32 PM

Bella had a similar problem, before i got her she had been kept away from men and taught to distrust them. I found that by touching her and the man she was barking at, and getting the man to crouch at her level she would then sniff them and after a few min she would decide she likes them and be all smoochy.
Old February 11th, 2013, 08:50 PM

This is the hubby.

We tried all methods suggested and after nearly two weeks we are still experiencing him barking when I enter the same room. It is very annoying especially as I work late hours and it awakes the family.

Maybe I am wrong but I have his leash on my belt, tied to me, as of today. Hoping that it will condition him that I am not a bad guy. I am also the one that feeds and treats him. I seriously believe in his short life he was abused which makes me want to figure this out more.

We can use any advice as he is good with my girls and our other dog and cats.

TIA

The hubby
Old February 11th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I wonder if he see you as a competer and does not want to share your wife with you.

I am not sure how I had a duplicate post ,I only posted it once.

Last edited by Barkingdog; February 13th, 2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old February 11th, 2013, 09:43 PM

Could be, how do we resolve it?
Old February 11th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootney girl View Post
Could be, how do we resolve it?
I wish I had an answer for you , Have your husband feed him more , and spend as much time as he can with the puppy . I hope someone will come along with some help for you.

http://puppies.about.com/od/Training...-Boyfriend.htm

I found this web site , I am not sure if will help but is does give you some tips on dogs that are jealous of boyfriends .
Old February 12th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
This is the hubby......

Maybe I am wrong but I have his leash on my belt, tied to me, as of today.

The hubby
How is it working so far?
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 12th, 2013, 09:49 PM

Marko,

I do feel his temperament is better towards me after, yet is quickly dissolved with time.

Last night, trying anything, I pulled the leash in forcing him to close the distance. When he quit pulling away I released tension on the leash. Soon after I was able to carry him without a fight, but tonight he reverted back when I got home from work.

I feel forcing the issue is helping but I do not want to scar a pup so bad that it will never trust me again as my family loves him.

All being said we do have to get him to stop barking when I enter a room. It is beyond annoying at times.

Thanks for everyone's help and the link was informative Barkingdog, thanks.

The hubby.
Old February 13th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Marko,

I do feel his temperament is better towards me after, yet is quickly dissolved with time.

Last night, trying anything, I pulled the leash in forcing him to close the distance. When he quit pulling away I released tension on the leash. Soon after I was able to carry him without a fight, but tonight he reverted back when I got home from work.

I feel forcing the issue is helping but I do not want to scar a pup so bad that it will never trust me again as my family loves him.

All being said we do have to get him to stop barking when I enter a room. It is beyond annoying at times.

Thanks for everyone's help and the link was informative Barkingdog, thanks.

The hubby.
Does your dog bark at all men or is only you? What kind of work do you do,
I am wondering if you have any smells on your clothes your dogs does not like. Maybe is would help to bring your dog to a dog behaviorist. I am glad the link was helpful to you.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/topdogrules.htm this web site tell how to be the alpha male in the house. It sound like your dog think he the alpha male .

Last edited by Barkingdog; February 13th, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old February 15th, 2013, 09:17 PM

Thanks Barkingdog.

I don't think it is an alpha issue. Seems like a general fear. At first it seemed like everybody and my next days off we will try some other new people.

I would love to see a behaviorist but there just isn't one available in under a three hour drive.

Since being tied to me didn't seem to work well we switched and tied him to wife were he felt safe. I am slowly encroaching in his comfort zone and things "seem" to be working.

I hope this works. I"/we need something as he is so good with everyone when I am not around.

THanks for all the advice
Old February 16th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hi Kooteny Girl I still thing that going back to this method mentioned by Tenderfoot is your best option.

Then after hubby has a chance to relax and unwind, he needs to take the leash and bring the pup up on the couch or get on the floor with him and just relax. Do not let then pup leave the area (hence the leash). Hubby needs to NOT pressure the pup into interacting with him. Simply be together and try to relax. When the pup gets brave and shows interest he can gently rib the side of the pups face and then stop. Then a few minutes later do it again. Each time the pup realizes he means no harm and it actually feels good, he relaxes and starts to breathe. Hubby needs to become his safe, big friend and then we can look at creating a relationship built on love, trust and respect. But right now we have to focus on trust.

I think it will take time. I have seen this work with other scenarios similiar to yours and it does simply boil down to trust. I dont think it is anything you have done either its just simply the dog itself. I truly believe this will work for you.

Good Luck

Oh and always have treats on you so that as you interact with your pup you can reward him for things like coming close or asking for something of you... and then you reward...
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 16th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thanks Barkingdog.

I don't think it is an alpha issue. Seems like a general fear. At first it seemed like everybody and my next days off we will try some other new people.

I would love to see a behaviorist but there just isn't one available in under a three hour drive.

Since being tied to me didn't seem to work well we switched and tied him to wife were he felt safe. I am slowly encroaching in his comfort zone and things "seem" to be working.

I hope this works. I"/we need something as he is so good with everyone when I am not around.

THanks for all the advice
Poor puppy , I wonder why is he fearful of your. Do you think it would help to made a video of your dog reacting to you and send it to a a behaviorist, they would be able to study your body language and dog body language get an idea to what is going on between the two of you.