Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 21st, 2005, 09:28 AM

What age can a puppy go all night?

Good morning! Just wondering when you think its okay to leave a puppy all night in its crate without going to the washroom? Our puppy is 10 weeks old and we wake up once in the middle of the night to let him out everynight. He never barks or cries at all, but we set our alarm to automatically let him out. However lastnight neither I or my boyfriend got up when the alarm went off, we accidentally turned it off and both fell back to sleep! In the morning we both asked if the other went, lol... He was fine though, didn't bark or cry once to go, and no mess in his crate, but I just assumed 10 weeks is too young to do that? Although I know its different at night b/c they're sleeping. My friend says he should be fine, but as always I wanted to double check with you guys before I cancel the 2am wake up calls, lol... Thanks!
Old September 21st, 2005, 09:35 AM
AmInaL

It really depends on the pup. Larger breeds have larger bladders, my dog slept through the night pretty young. 10 weeks is still really young. I would suggest going by your dogs cues. Maybe as he gets older, set your alarm a little bit later, one week at a time.

What a good puppy you have! Good luck!
Old September 21st, 2005, 10:05 AM

I thought the same thing that 10 weeks seemed young still, but he seems to be fine, never barks in the middle of the night at all. I guess maybe we should try leaving it and if he does bark, I always wake up immediately and then we'll let him out to go type of thing. He's a boxer, so he's a bigger doggy, but still our tiny baby right now, hehe... Thanks for the advice.
Old September 21st, 2005, 03:01 PM

I guess I have been lucky because my golden has been sleeping through the night since we got her at 8 weeks (10:30-6:00). So...it's possible! We do make sure she gets no water after 7pm though so that helps.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:29 AM
-

Let your pup tell you when he has to get up to go during the night. The crate doesn't need to be in the bedroom but needs to be somewhere where you can hear the whining. If you keep waking him he will never make it through the night because you are setting him up into a regular nighly schedule. Making it through the night will happen long before daytime training.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 08:18 AM

Thanks guys! It's been 3 nights in a row now and he's been totally fine! So looks like we didn't need to be doing it. And if he does ever bark or cry in the night, trust me I'd hear it immediately. I'm a sound sleeper, but when it comes to my daughter or my doggy who are both my babies, I wake up at either of them in seconds... Mommys intuition, lol... But he's been fine, doesn't make a peep all night! So thanks for the advice!
Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:13 AM
-

Don't get discouraged if your puppy doesn't sleep through the night, every night.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:17 AM
AmInaL

Yay for you! Heres to a good nights sleep
Old September 23rd, 2005, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Go figure, but our Eskie, who we adopted at 13 weeks - terrified of crates by the way - slept from day one from 11:30 until 5:30 without an accident. This is especially strange in that his bladder is on the small side - AND - he had not problem with having accidents in the house every 1/2 hour. Guess he enjoyed his sleep - and despite deep sleep, did not wet the bed. So I guess it depends on the dog. I did put him in the crate to try it and 2 seconds later he was "yellow".
Old September 23rd, 2005, 01:30 PM

wow I should do the same thing!

I have a 13 week old pup and let him out at 2 AM as well. Great advice and feedback here! I'm going to try to do the same. My husband always feels bad about waking the puppy up out of his deep sleep!
Old September 23rd, 2005, 02:15 PM
Fish Guru - Formerly sneakypete79

I really think it depends upon the puppy.
When my dog was a pup she needed to go out every couple of hours through the night otherwise she would piddle in the house.
It took us a very long to properly potty train her because of some relocation issues with her as a pup (was mom in laws, then given to sister in law, kept in laundry room 4x4 foot square for 3 months, given back to mother in law, and then we took her)
What I think is generally a good thing to do and have heard this suggested is that you take the pups age in months, and divide by 30 minutes, that will give you approximately how long the average puppy can go holding it.
So 10 weeks= 2.5 months \ 30 mins= .8, or a little less than 1 hour.
If they are sleeping dont wake them up to go pee though.
And of course not every puppy is gonna have to pee every hour, depending on how much they drink or eat, but it gives a good idea to planning potty breaks!

Last edited by Sneaky; September 23rd, 2005 at 02:20 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 02:36 PM
-

Night time training and daytime training are not the same.
Daytime calc.
2 months: 1-2 hrs
3months: 2-3 hrs
4 months:3-4 hrs
5 months: 4-6 hrs
6 months: 6 + Should be getting close to full work day 8 hrs if built up to do so. If you take them out every hour on the hour they will never learn to hold for any length of time.

All puppies need to go to the washroom as soon as they get up from a sleep, between 5/20 min after eating and during/after play.

Last edited by StaceyB; September 23rd, 2005 at 02:38 PM.
Old September 28th, 2005, 10:21 AM

Rex is still doing good in the night but we come home to pee pee in his cage sometimes, not always but off and on. We get home at 5:30 and we have a family member come in twice a day for an hour each time to let him out and play with him, once at around 10ish and then again at 2ish. And he's out for an hour each time. So we know he can hold it but sometimes he still goes, any reason why? Or are you going to say its b/c he couldn't hold it? Maybe sometimes they can hold it and sometimes they can't? He's 11 weeks old now, so I know he's still young and will still have accidents, but just curious on any thoughts?
Old September 28th, 2005, 12:20 PM
AmInaL

He is still pretty young, so that may be a factor. How big is his kennel? If it's too large, puppies will pee in one side and still be cozy on the other.
Old September 28th, 2005, 01:22 PM

We had originally cut the crate in half when we first brought him home, but now he has the entire crate, but he's gotten so much bigger we figure its a good size for him now. I suppose he would have room to go and still be comfy at the other end, but when he goes its all over him when we get home, so I don't think that he's going and then sittng at the other end? And its not that much bigger then him... Here's a picture of him, and we used this crate prior to having him for our pug, who was the right size for the crate, so that might help you to imagine how big the crate is... the crate we're using now is not for an adult boxer, we are only using it until he's bigger then we will buy the right crate for a boxer. This picture was taken a week ago, they grow so fast!!!
Attached Images

Old September 28th, 2005, 01:42 PM
-

My guess is he is being left in it too long.
What a cutie.
Old September 28th, 2005, 03:45 PM
AmInaL

Aaaaw....Soooo cute, what a pumpkin! Maybe he needs out 3x a day for a couple more weeks. I know it's hard trying to work and have a puppy, God bless my mother, she's not a dog person by any means, but she was really good to help whe I had to work. Good luck...you have a SWEET puppy!
Old October 5th, 2005, 06:32 PM

i suppose im lucky

ive got a 16week old american staffi and he puts his self to bed about 12am than get up at 7am and he has never woke us up in the nite ,i suppose im just luckey, he has his last wee about 12am than he has a little room he sleeps in with a stair gate across the door so he cant get out around the house, the staire gate is only put up at nite other than that he has run of house and garden hes so good and we havent had any accients for weeks.
Attached Images

Last edited by jo-anne; October 5th, 2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old October 5th, 2005, 06:42 PM

hes loverly

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffytwin
We had originally cut the crate in half when we first brought him home, but now he has the entire crate, but he's gotten so much bigger we figure its a good size for him now. I suppose he would have room to go and still be comfy at the other end, but when he goes its all over him when we get home, so I don't think that he's going and then sittng at the other end? And its not that much bigger then him... Here's a picture of him, and we used this crate prior to having him for our pug, who was the right size for the crate, so that might help you to imagine how big the crate is... the crate we're using now is not for an adult boxer, we are only using it until he's bigger then we will buy the right crate for a boxer. This picture was taken a week ago, they grow so fast!!!
hes so loverly and yes they do grow very fast iv got an american staffi hes 16weeks old know called lenny hear is a picof my baby
Old October 5th, 2005, 06:46 PM

hes loverly

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffytwin
hes so loverly and yes they do grow very fast iv got an american staffi hes 16weeks old know called lenny hear is a pic of my baby
Attached Images