Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old January 1st, 2010, 06:15 PM

Bleeding stray cat. Miscarriage? Pregnant? Help!

Hello everbody, it's been a while!

I am driving home from a visit at my in-laws and am taking home with me a stray cat I've decided to adopt. She has been hanging around them for a while and eating food and sleeping in a box they put outside for her. She is very underweight and had blood and maybe feces on her rear so I took her to a walk-in clinic yesterday and the vet gave me some deworming meds (one metronidazole, can't remember what the other is called). He said the blood was caused by chronic diarrhea and that her nipples were not swollen so she didn't just I've birth (my first assumption). She is so tiny (only 4lb 2 oz) but he said about two years old.She did not have a fever yesterday. Anyways after returning fom the vet I cleaned her up and shaved her bum and noticed the blood was coming from her vagina. She is also being VERY affectionate, something I noticed about pregnant cats from past fostering experiences. I am feeling pretty sure she either was or is pregnant. Also she does have a bit of a belly despite being so skinny. I am wondering if anyone has had experience with a feline miscarriage and knows what the signs are. She is still bleeding but not much. Also I have read about infected fetuses killing cats and need to know how quickly this can happen? I am in a car right noW on the long drive home with her. We won't be in until after midnight, so won't be able to see the vet until tomorrow unless I call ahead for an emergency visit tonight. I am worried though how quickly can these infections kill a cat? She has a very big appetite and drinking lots of water. She is very affecionate but very sleepy. She is in her new travel cage and has not complained once, just sleeping and purring when I pet her, so I would describe he as lethargic, although I've only known her 1.5 days so don't have much to compare her behavior to! Anyways I'm not sure what to think here? Could she just have given birth or had a miscarriage? Is there a chance she is still pregnant??? Also I don't know whther to continue giving her the metronidazole if she is pregant? Please help! Thanks!
Old January 1st, 2010, 06:29 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I would be finding the closest vet and getting her to them. This sounds like an emergency to me. If you suspect she has just given birth she may have a retained placenta in her or another kitten. Both can be life threatening. Any bleeding from the vagina would be a cause for concern IMO. Lethargy is another.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 1st, 2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I would be finding the closest vet and getting her to them. This sounds like an emergency to me. If you suspect she has just given birth she may have a retained placenta in her or another kitten. Both can be life threatening. Any bleeding from the vagina would be a cause for concern IMO. Lethargy is another.
oh I agree it's a cause for concern, that's why I'm posting here! I just don't know if it's a "get her to a vet tomorrow" or "wake the vet up for emergency visit at 1am" sort of concern. I just took her out and she ate half a bowl of food and went in her litter box then I out her back in her cage. She definitely still has her appetite! Nothing has changed since I took her to the vet yesterday except that now I know the source of the blood is not her bum. For now she does not seem in emergency condition at all, I just don't know how quickly these things can get worse? And if I should continue to give her the meds? I don't want to overreact, but don't want to underreact either. Anyone have experience with a feline miscarriage or bleeding during pregnancy like this?
Old January 1st, 2010, 07:57 PM
I'm a softy

Metronidezole is an antibiotic. You need to get her to the vet, i dont think anyone can answer your questions, sorry, ask the vet and they will tell you. A uterine infection, retained kitten, or placenta, or miscarrige can all be deadly. A good abdominal exam is probably all that is needed, but possibly xray, good luck with her, please let us know.
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:06 PM
Senior Contributor

hi melissa this might just sound stupid, but could she be in heat?? brenda.
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:11 PM

heat was the first thing that came to mind for me too.

ps; good on you for helping this kitty!!! and i hope it turns out to be nothing too serious keep us posted!
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:19 PM
-

My first thought was that she is coming into heat as well. If she seen a vet yesterday and he said she didn't just give birth she wouldn't have a retained placenta. How well did he examine her?
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:24 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I'm sorry but this kitty needs to get to a vet. We are not vets here. We can't answer your questions. Cats do not bleed while in heat. At least not to the extent we would ever see any blood. They are not the same as dogs. As LML has stated Metronidezole is an antibiotic; not deworming meds. There must have been a reason the vet you saw put her on it. He must have thought there was something going on. He also would have checked for pregnancy. We can't tell you that this is an emergency. You will have to decide that. I personally would be trying to find a vet now. Cats can go downhill very very quickly.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 1st, 2010, 09:05 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

14+ is right, this is an emergency and needs to be seen by a vet.

Sending some your way. Please keep us posted.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 1st, 2010, 09:13 PM

Not stupid at all Brenda! I don't think she is in heat though, she's no acting like it at all. She's acting more like a hormone-driven overly affectionate pregnant or nursing cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
My first thought was that she is coming into heat as well. If she seen a vet yesterday and he said she didn't just give birth she wouldn't have a retained placenta. How well did he examine her?
Well he didn't examine her well enough to notice the blood was coming from her vagina and not her bum! The visit basically consisted of a weigh, check temperature, inspect ears and for fleas, feel abdomen, swab the blood/feces/gunk for parasites (nothing showed up) said I should wait to vaccinate, then gave me two types of pills, the metronidazole and something else (they put a sticker over the name, a big yellow pill), then took my money and sent me on my way! Metronidazole is also an anti inflammatory, and is often used for unknown diarrhea in dogs and cats.

Oh and just to be clear I am not looking for a diagnosis, I am taking her to a vet for that, I just was hoping for someone with experience with this to give some advice, or reassurance, or both! I have decided to call the vet when I get home tonight and see what they say about when to bring her in!
Old January 1st, 2010, 09:30 PM
Senior Contributor

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm you have me puzzled, she is eating well!! the best bet would be to try and get her in to your vet tom, hope all goes well melissa, i know you well enough to know you will do what is best for her and btw happy new yr from rosie, i really think she has not forgot her foster momName:  P4140944.JPG
Views: 2579
Size:  89.5 KB brenda
Old January 1st, 2010, 10:22 PM
150% PRO S/N

"Bleeding stray cat. Miscarriage? Pregnant? Help!

I am feeling pretty sure she either was or is pregnant. Also she does have a bit of a belly despite being so skinny. I am wondering if anyone has had experience with a feline miscarriage and knows what the signs are. She is still bleeding but not much. Also I have read about infected fetuses killing cats and need to know how quickly this can happen?

so I would describe he as lethargic, although I've only known her 1.5 days so don't have much to compare her behavior to! Anyways I'm not sure what to think here? Could she just have given birth or had a miscarriage? Is there a chance she is still pregnant??? Also I don't know whther to continue giving her the metronidazole if she is pregant? Please help! Thanks!"

Going by the title of this thread and the statements made by the OP I am assuming, probably wrongly but I can only go by what has been said, that this cat needs medical attention.
There are many things that can cause this bleeding.

http://www.petplace.com/cats/vaginal...ats/page1.aspx

http://www.catchannel.com/experts/ar...-bleeding.aspx

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...o-have-settled

Old January 1st, 2010, 10:52 PM

Thanks for the links! The one about the cat found outside of the restaurant is what made me post this in the first place! I just made a long distance call to my vet and she said as long as she is eating and drinking she does not need to be seen tonight! I'm feeling better now. I don't like being stuck on a nine hour drive in the middle of nowhere with a kitty who potentially needs emergency vet care, not fun!

Brenda, Rosie is looking great, and lovingly spoiled as she should be!
Old January 1st, 2010, 11:08 PM
Senior Contributor

melissa your so sweet, she would not be with us without you!!! all the best for the kitty, keep me in the loop
Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:43 AM
I'm a softy

How is she? Metronidezole is commonly used for uterine infections, among other things, but it is often used in conjuction with another antibiotic. Did the vet say why he was giving them? I agree, a cat in heat does not bleed, and would never need to be cleaned up. Is she licking at it? If she is lethargic to the poing she isnt cleaning it frequently, i would see that as a concern, as cats usually will do that. There must be a reason for the blood, and i would be very concerned, personaly i would ask for an xray. I am in total agreement 14+
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:08 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

How is she today?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:34 AM

Hi she is doing very well today, thanks for asking. The bleeding is now just the slightest tinge of brown and only when I wipe. She is eating and sleeping and rolling on her back for belly pets when I go see her. I think "lethargic" may have been the wrong term for her, maybe just "easy-going". I just thought that something could be wrong since she didn't make a noise in the long drive home yesterday and she is just so calm, my other two cats would never be so quiet on a road trip! I guess she's just happy to be fed and warm. I just got off the phone with the vet again and she does not sound concerned, she has no fever or anything. I am taking her in Monday morning for a general appointment and to get properly tested for things so I can see if she's safe to introduce to my other two cats. If the vet thinks there may still be kiittens in her I will get an ultrasound too. She told me to stop giving her meds until they see her.

I am still curious about cat behavior after a miscarriage, if anyone has experience with this I'd appreciate hearing your story. She is acting so affectionate and I know this is often caused by pregnancy hormones in cats. I am curious how long these hormones last? Is this her true personality or is it just her hormones still?
Old January 2nd, 2010, 12:33 PM
Kitty pimp

probably both i think u may have got adopted
Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:27 PM

Well now it appears she is going into labour. Vet says not to bring her in and at this point as it will just stress her out. It's a matter of waiting and watching. I am pretty sure I can feel one or two kittens in her belly. I hope they live. The mother is only 4lbs, the poor thing. I'm not going anywhere until I know she's ok, I have the emergency vet number close by, hopefully I won't have to use it. Obviously the vet I saw in Montreal the other day has no clue, how could he miss this???
Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:33 PM
chronically insane.

You really need to go to a different vet today. If she is that small and has already been not doing so well she is likely going to die going into labor, or her kittens are going to die.

Either way this is a big mess and you need to go to the vets.

What makes you assume she is going into labor?

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old January 2nd, 2010, 02:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla View Post
Well now it appears she is going into labour.

omg ! you got home just in time !

Obviously the vet I saw in Montreal the other day has no clue, how could he miss this???
I once had a very emaciated foster female dog , who was seen by not only one but 2 vets who swore she couldn't be pregnant .... well , she was !

good luck with the momma kitty
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:30 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OK, I had to walk away for a bit, but am now back and a bit calmer.

TAKE HER TO A VET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How in the world can a vet who has not seen the cat state she is OK????????

WTH!

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 2nd, 2010, 06:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
OK, I had to walk away for a bit, but am now back and a bit calmer.

TAKE HER TO A VET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How in the world can a vet who has not seen the cat state she is OK????????

WTH!
Yeah. Seriously, sounds like a crappy vet. If I called my vet and told him my cat had vaginal bleeding he wouldn't just say she was ok and don't worry about it yet. If I suddenly suspected the cat was in labour he'd ask me to bring it in.
And the vet that didn't notice she was pregnant, what the heck? How do you know she's in labour?

This isn't the place to get advice for this type of thing (the sticky specifically says "bleeding" etc., seek veterinary care). She needs to be SEEN by a vet, not just have one consulted over the phone.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 07:25 AM
Senior Contributor

How is the cat doing? Did u take her to the vet's? Is she going to be ok?

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:28 AM
I'm a softy

Ok, l4h, i am with you, deep breath!

Ok, 1 vets says she is not pregnant, now she is in labour, i cant get my head around that. You feel 2 kittens, hmm, i have had tons of experience and still dont get the count right. The vet on the phone does not know the cat, and sure cant diagnose it, for sure cant say she is ok.

If this cat is in labour PLEASE GO TO THE VET NOW, the worst that can happen is you will be sent home, this cat does not sound like she is in the shape to go through labour alone, it has been going too long now.

You asked for advice, and it is go straight to the vet, if l4h told me to get to the vet i would be gone yesterday. I have dealt with many foster births, i would have that cat in some EXPERIENCED hands now, good luck, i will pray for kitty.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:56 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
Ok, l4h, i am with you, deep breath!

Ok, 1 vets says she is not pregnant, now she is in labour, i cant get my head around that. You feel 2 kittens, hmm, i have had tons of experience and still dont get the count right. The vet on the phone does not know the cat, and sure cant diagnose it, for sure cant say she is ok.

If this cat is in labour PLEASE GO TO THE VET NOW, the worst that can happen is you will be sent home, this cat does not sound like she is in the shape to go through labour alone, it has been going too long now.

You asked for advice, and it is go straight to the vet, if l4h told me to get to the vet i would be gone yesterday. I have dealt with many foster births, i would have that cat in some EXPERIENCED hands now, good luck, i will pray for kitty.
Ditto!! I keep checking in on this thread hoping for some good news. Or at this point any news. No sense on me trying to add more. I just pray that kitty is doing ok.
Please let us know.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor

way to go melisa, she is way to cute!!! brenda and the pins
Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:39 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gang View Post
way to go melisa, she is way to cute!!! brenda and the pins
Umm, brenda, do you know something that we don't know?

Did the OP take the cat to the vet? Is there kittens? Is everything okay?
Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

as far as i know all is ok, i have known this person for over 4 yrs wounderful person , brenda and the pins
Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:29 PM

The cat is doing great. She is eating and playing and resting. I am sorry for those who disagree with my vet, but if you think you can do better I suggest YOU go through vet school and become one yourself. Not all vets are created equal, and they are not infallible, but I trust my vet and I trust her decision that the LAST thing this cat needs is to be stressed out by a vet visit after just getting back from a 9 hour drive from her homeland. She suggested I let her settle in first and take her in tomorrow morning as planned. I have been given a list of things to look out for such as foul smelling discharge, hard labour pains that last over an hour, depression, unwillingness to eat. So far she is eating like a pig, playing, and being affectionate. I have found out through other useful forums that a cat can still carry some kittens to terms after a miscarriage, sometimes as long as 3 weeks later. My cat has occasionally had mild contractions and has been licking the hair off her nipples and been displaying major nesting behavior, which led me to believe she could be in labour. My vet said she could be aborting the remainder of her litter, or may be in the late stages of pregnancy. The vet also agreed that a possibility (though very unlikely from the signs) is a uterine infection, and that since they would prescribe metronidazole for this, and since I already have some, she recommended to continue giving it to her and let her rest.

Yes, this obviously was the wrong place to post. I was hoping for some people with experience with feline miscarriages that could help me understand what is happening. I have had lots of fostering experience with sick cats and pregnant cats, but have never seen a cat abort her litter and wanted some people with experience to help me. I found a very useful group of registered breeders who were able to explain to me what to expect. And to answer my original question yes, she may still be pregnant.

I have decided not to get angry with some of the comments here, since I may have reacted the same way had I not known all the facts I know. Most of you don’t know me and I suppose I can’t blame you for jumping to conclusions. You will just have to trust that I am working with my vet to do what is best for the cat, and so far she has been doing very well and has even gained weight in the few days I've had her. I appreciate the advice I have been given but in the end will trust the people with years of training and experience. If you some of you still have a problem I will pm you my vet’s number and you can take it up with them!
Closed Thread