Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 11th, 2011, 06:05 PM

dosage of slippery elm

Hi ! I was hoping someone could help me out with the dosage of Slippery Elm for my Mickey.He weighs 19.4 lbs.I have been giving him 1 capsule (400 mg) once a day.This morning he seemed fine but he was sick before,is nauseous and had diarrhea just before I'm wondering if I'm not giving him enough because he is such a big boy.

Thanks so much
Old June 11th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmomma View Post
Hi ! I was hoping someone could help me out with the dosage of Slippery Elm for my Mickey.He weighs 19.4 lbs.I have been giving him 1 capsule (400 mg) once a day.This morning he seemed fine but he was sick before,is nauseous and had diarrhea just before I'm wondering if I'm not giving him enough because he is such a big boy.

Thanks so much
I think you might be giving him too much all at one. SEB isn't really dosed by weight, but it's also a good idea to start with a small (like 1/8 or maybe 1/4 of a capsule twice a day) then gradually work your way up to 1/4 capsule 4 times a day, if necessary.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 12th, 2011, 05:36 AM

Bless you SCM!! We had an extremely rough night last night.My hubby said maybe it was too much but my problem with him has always been the opposite so I just assumed that once again he was too big for his own goodLast night he spent the night on his shelf in the front window and was gagging.When I went over to touch him a couple times he made a small growly purr sound but was generally unhappy.This morning he asked for his breakfast and lapped it up.I added some water to it for fear that he was dehydrating and gave him his usual dose of probiotics.Tonight I will give him 1/4 capsule and see if that makes him feel any better.Thank you so much from me and from Mickey!!!!
Old June 12th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Mickey, my angel

How will you be giving him the slippery elm bark? If you are using only a portion of a capsule you will need to be mixing it with water to make a gruel and feeding it by syringe just before a meal or adding extra water and mixing it in with his canned food. Adding extra water to the food is a very good idea. It is important that a cat is well hydrated whether the problem is diarrhea or constipation. Slippery Elm Bark absorbs approximately 4 times its weight in water so you need to be ensuring that he is getting the extra water required.

Here is what Little Big Cat recommends:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/slippery-elm/

To give internally, mix about 1/4 teaspoon of Slippery Elm bark powder with cold water for every 10 pounds of body weight. For very small dogs, it is fine to use the same 1/4 teaspoon dose. The bulk powder may be very fluffy, so pack it down as much as possible to measure it. Alternatively, use 1/2 capsule (per 10 pounds), opened and the contents mixed with water. Slippery Elm powder will absorb many times its own weight in water, so be sure to add enough to make a moderately thick gruel. This gruel can be given before meals by syringe or eyedropper, or added to baby food, canned food, or a homemade diet. It has a slightly sweet taste and is usually well-tolerated by cats and dogs when mixed with food. Give a dose 5 minutes before meals for sore throat, and before or with meals for digestive tract problems, such as inflammatory bowel disease, until symptoms resolve.

Here is what Tanya's website recommends:

http://www.felinecrf.org/holistic_treatments.htm#SEB1

Dosage

The usual dosage is:

1/8 to 1/4 (0.125 - 0.25) of a teaspoon of the organic or wild-crafted Slippery Elm Bark powder once or twice a day; or

one 350-400mg capsule a day. You can give these whole or open them and sprinkle on the cat's food once or twice a day.

I would consider the above recommendations to be maximum dosages. As SCM suggested you can start smaller and work up to higher dosages if necessary. Again, as I said previously on your other thread, allow a minimum of one hour before or after giving other medications or supplements as it can interfere with their absorption.

Good luck and continue to let us know how it is going.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009

Last edited by mikischo; June 12th, 2011 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Added more information.
Old June 12th, 2011, 07:57 AM

I feel like such a complete bonehead this morning.I was opening the entire capsule and sprinkling it on his wet food at supper time (with hours apart from his probiotics....thank you btw ) and just giving it to him like that
I didn't realize that I still needed to mix it with water if I was sprinkling it from the capsule!! Poor little guy was heaving last night like crazy...now I see why I feel terrible! I think tonight at supper I will use only a 1/4 of the capsule and see how that goes.I am using it in the hopes that it helps with the loose stool and helps with his nausea attributed to the renal insuffiency.Thank you so much for taking the time to post and helping Mickey and I,as we are learning together
Old June 16th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Mickey, my angel

How is Mickey doing?

I don't know if anyone has ever mentioned this but another thing that can be very beneficial if a cat is experiencing nausea is to raise his/her food and water dishes about 2 inches off the floor by placing something under them.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old June 18th, 2011, 03:09 PM

Mickey seems to be doing alot better.It's a real rollercoaster ride though! Thanks for the tip Mikisho.I recently bought them a fancy water fountain and it has three drinking stations and one of them is quite high.So I think that's helping and I've raised his food dish too.I hope he continues like this for a while,it makes me feel guilty if he's not well and I have to go out