Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Closed Thread

Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:45 AM
Banned Temporarily

Red face He is a She?

Well I took my foster cat that I have had for 4 months now to get neutered. I took him in yesterday so they could keep him over night and get started early in the morning. He also got all his shots and checked out good. I was talking to my roomate about how I was going to call and check on him before they closed and them immediatley my phone started ringing. It was Dr. Castle the vet (I know weird right?.) I answered and he said Lou is a female not a male. I was like WHAT? He aslo said that "she" was pregnant. I was devasted I would have gotten her done sooner if I knew that he was a she. If your wondering why I didnt anyway its because I couldnt afford it on my own and there was an organization helping me who is now helping me get her adopted out (going to have to change the website listing though lol.) So I called the organization and told them and she got a good laugh, and said for me to go ahead and get it done. I called to ask because the vet said it would cost about twice as much to do a spay. SO I called back this morning and he checked her again after she hadnt had any food or water and her bladder was empty. He said he couldnt feel any indication that she was pregnant this morning so he is going on ahead with the spay and Lou is getting done as I type this. I am so relieved! Yet kind of embarrased too. On the plus side the lady through the organization said she had done that before too, except she thought hers was a female and she was a male. So That was my day yesterday I had a pregnant male, or wasnt a male,but was a female that isnt pregnant! WOW I obviously need to look harder next time! I havnt really been around cats much though so thats my excuse!
Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:05 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Question is - which one are you today? The original or the other one? When you are the original your grammar is a bit broken and not really great. When you are the other one your grammar is much better. Today your grammar is better so that would make me believe it is the "other" you who does not believe in abortion.

So now you have a foster cat too which you allow outside? I'm not so sure about your rescues there because here if you foster a cat it is never allowed out. I'm just totally And if she would have been pregnant you would have aborted. Can you see why I'm confused?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:29 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

And to let an unaltered, mature male cat out to roam . To get how many females pregnant? Doesn't sound like a very responsible thing to do .

What gave the vet the indication that she was pregnant. Normally it is quite obvious to those who know what to look for.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

we had a breeder hand us a male dog telling us it was the female we picked out??? yeah...some breeder huh? so isn't the agency paying for the spay? hopefully it is. I don't see anywhere that it says she/he let the cat out? did I miss something? and are you fostering for two agencies? a cat rescue and a dog rescue?
Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:43 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
I don't see anywhere that it says she/he let the cat out? did I miss something? and are you fostering for two agencies? a cat rescue and a dog rescue?
How would it be possibly pregnant?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:52 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
I don't see anywhere that it says she/he let the cat out? did I miss something?
Yep, you're right. She's had the cat for four months. Unless she has another intact male in the house with this intact "male" then that would be the longest pregnancy on record for a cat. I suppose I just assumed she had to let the cat out in order for the pregnancy to occur.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

excuse me, I didn't realize she'd had it for 4 months, or that she had other cats, I missed it completely, my apologies. and doesn't a rescue usually spay them before fostering them? or at least make a closer appointment to the day they go to a foster??
Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
excuse me, I didn't realize she'd had it for 4 months, or that she had other cats, I missed it completely, my apologies. and doesn't a rescue usually spay them before fostering them? or at least make a closer appointment to the day they go to a foster??
It's ok. I miss things all the time myself. I don't know if there are other cats in the home. We'll have to wait and see her response. As for fostering - the organization I work through as well as my vet never ever fosters an unaltered cat out to anyone. That is part of what is so confusing to me.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
Banned Temporarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
How would it be possibly pregnant?
Because he does go out occasionaly supervised. That's the reason I was in shock not because of just the female part because of the prgenancy also. He is an indoor cat. I am obviously not going to be able to participate on this forum anymore because of the incident. Lou was a cat that I had found and was trying to rehome. This organization is paying for the spay and the vet just called and said she was done now and doing great. This organization knows people and are able to contact a lot more to help me get him adopted out. They are seperate from the dog, that is with the Humane Society. I really like this forum, but I guess I can't be on it anymore. As I said before I don't have experience with cats and she wasn't pregnant that's the reason I coudnt tell the vet said she just might be. He didn't do an xray just felt around.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:02 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emie&Mila View Post
Because he does go out occasionaly supervised.
If she went out supervised then you would have known had a male mated with her.
Please stick around Pets and learn. I think you need some help with fostering/having dogs and cats and the responsibilities. Pets is a wonderful place to do so.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:05 PM
Banned Temporarily

I don't have other cats.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:08 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Because he does go out occasionaly supervised. That's the reason I was in shock not because of just the female part because of the prgenancy also. He is an indoor cat. I am obviously not going to be able to participate on this forum anymore because of the incident. Lou was a cat that I had found and was trying to rehome. This organization is paying for the spay and the vet just called and said she was done now and doing great. This organization knows people and are able to contact a lot more to help me get him adopted out. They are seperate from the dog, that is with the Humane Society. I really like this forum, but I guess I can't be on it anymore. As I said before I don't have experience with cats and she wasn't pregnant that's the reason I coudnt tell the vet said she just might be. He didn't do an xray just felt around.
first off if you went back and kept your word and deleted all of the ignorant posts in Kathryn's thread that would have gone along way. Whether it was actually you or some person you know posting,coming onto a forum where a large majority of the members spend most of their time rescuing animals, asking for advice on several different animals in a matter of a few days,,then posting insults towards the members doesn't make people feel warm and fuzzy.

You say the cat was outside but supervised,,ummm if it had the time to get pregnant it obviously wasn't being supervised,,do you see why members aren't understanding. You came here with 2 dogs but your fb says 3,,then we have a foster male,,the bunny,a foster female dog that suddenly became a foster male cat that turned out to be a female..
Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:10 PM
Banned Temporarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
If she went out supervised then you would have known had a male mated with her.
Please stick around Pets and learn. I think you need some help with fostering/having dogs and cats and the responsibilities. Pets is a wonderful place to do so.
Exactly, that's the reason I was so suprised and I couldn't understand that happening. Plus I havnt seen any other cats around. My neighboor has some but there fixed. If the incident is going to keep coming up I can't do that. I have changed my password so it hopefully won't happen again.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

E&M,don't feel like you are not welcome here,nobody is upset with you,it was just a general confusion.
We who are used to cats and have had cats forever,can easily see the difference between a male/female,especially an un-neutered male.
Seeing through the confusion I think,all in all you did a good thing for'her" you rescued her and hopefully now she will get a good home.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:19 PM
Banned Temporarily

I think its kind of weird you got on my facebook and how could you tell I had 3 dogs. I had 3 one lived at my mothers she was a child hood dog that passed before christmas.

I have 2 dogs. Emie and Mila both females. I have two foster dogs. Ashton and Ashes both males. Lou who is a cat that apprently is a female. How is that confusing.

The reason I havnt delted the post is because I havnt been on here with a computer just my phone and it doesn't move fast enough to delete them.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

can you tell us what all animals you have in the house right now? your own and fostered?
Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:22 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
I'm the queen of missing things so I completely understand .

Yes, normally they would spay/neuter unless it is a female with nursing kittens. They don't like to take chances of letting an unaltered cat out of their sight, due to spraying/pregnancy issues.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:41 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
I think its kind of weird you got on my facebook and how could you tell I had 3 dogs. I had 3 one lived at my mothers she was a child hood dog that passed before christmas.

I have 2 dogs. Emie and Mila both females. I have two foster dogs. Ashton and Ashes both males. Lou who is a cat that apprently is a female. How is that confusing.

The reason I havnt delted the post is because I havnt been on here with a computer just my phone and it doesn't move fast enough to delete them.
It is very simple you see,,YOU posted a link to your fb to show pictures of Emie and Mila,,thus you can see the rest of our fb profile too.

As for why is it confusing,,when you joined here you had Emie your inside dog and Mila your outside dog,,no other pets mentioned..you were asking about starting to foster and it was a female dog you were talking about fostering..following me?
Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:43 PM
Banned Temporarily

I have one dog that is my own in my home, two dogs that are fostered male both neutered. My female will be neutured once old enough. I also have Lou the cat that is spayed now.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:48 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Quote:
I have one dog that is my own in my home, two dogs that are fostered male both neutered. My female will be neutured once old enough. I also have Lou the cat that is spayed now.
Do you have 2 dogs or 1 dog and I thought Lou was a foster

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:50 PM
-

Quote:
oh yeah i have company in the confused corner.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:55 PM
Banned Temporarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
It is very simple you see,,YOU posted a link to your fb to show pictures of Emie and Mila,,thus you can see the rest of our fb profile too.

As for why is it confusing,,when you joined here you had Emie your inside dog and Mila your outside dog,,no other pets mentioned..you were asking about starting to foster and it was a female dog you were talking about fostering..following me?
Oh yes roxy. She was adopted thankfully so I got Ashes instead a male. As for facvebook I figured how you did. still think its kind of weird.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:00 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
As for facvebook I figured how you did. still think its kind of weird.
Ummmm, you posted a link so not so weird.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:04 PM
Banned Temporarily

Quote:
Oh yes roxy. She was adopted thankfully so I got Ashes instead a male. As for facvebook I figured how you did. still think its kind of weird.
Well I didn't expect people to go looking at it. I thought the page was private. That's completly off topic though. It seems to me you all don't believe me about something that has nothing to do with this thread and your taking it out on me. Yet you all say I should stay?
Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Wow... interesting thread. I must say I'm confused by the whole thing

So aslan... you have even more company!!!
I guess that's really all I need to (or should say).

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
oh yeah i have company in the confused corner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post

Well, seeing as I am the first one to be confused I guess you wonderful ladies are all in my corner now. Not to mention I am getting a huge headache trying to keep this all straight. So... I'm not going to try any more.

You know EM - I said stick around because I really feel you need to learn as much as you can about fostering and the health of animals. There are a ton of old posts here you can go through having to deal with fostering, pregancies , etc. I truly hope you can learn.
Whether or not there are two of you - that's something you will have to work out. IF there are two of you maybe the "other" you can join Pets themselves. That way it will cut back on some of our confusion.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
Banned Temporarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post

Now I'm confused about that.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:21 PM
Banned Temporarily

This is getting to the point were I'm just getting attacked. I have 2 dogs one is outdoors I was asked how many I had in my home and Lou is a foster obviously. I'm done this is ignorant. I don't want to learn from people who pray on others.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
-

no one is preying on you,we were just abit confused as to how many animals you had and of what types..so it's your two, plus two male canine fosters plus Lou the now spayed female kitty right?

There are some extremely helpful and intelligent people here that can give you all kind of advice, but when something seems off to us we get sidetracked.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I saw that Melinda had someone jump down her throat because she missed me saying I had her for 4 months. I cant handle that. I have deleted the posts.
That was not jumping down on anyone. Melinda is a respected member here on pets whom we all know well.
Closed Thread