Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 11th, 2011, 01:39 PM

Question Re: Spaying - IV Fluid and Pre Surgery Blood work options?

Hi there,
We have an appointment in the morning to have our 16mth old dog spayed and bring her vaccines up to date (390.00). I guess it costs more when they are mature and she is also fairly large.

The vet's office just called me this morning and told me about these optional things that they will be offering...IV fluids ($59) and pre-surgery blood work ($89).

I would like to hear opinions about these options please. I only have 1 night to think this over and come to a decision.

Thanks!
Old April 11th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I cannot offer you advise as I am not a vet, however, I have had many spays and neuters done and other assorted surgeries in the past.

At my vet's clinic, pre-op bloodwork is mandatory.

IV fluids are only mandatory if the animal is 7 years or older. This is something you must decide for yourself after discussing with your vet if he/she thinks it is required for your specific pet and why.

Good luck...

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old April 11th, 2011, 03:43 PM

I had my female spayed at age 2 1/2. I did opt for the pre-surgical bloodwork because we had just brought her home and she is a breed that can run an abnormal liver enzyme. The blood work also is a guideline to see if the dog has any possible unseen liver or kidney problems that could cause them to not process the anesthesia normally. It isn't a requirement at my vet until the dog is a senior, but you will sign many, many papers if you refuse the blood panel. My pup will be neutered this summer around one year. I will opt for the blood panel for him as well. I wasn't offered fluids, but believe this was listed in the paper work as being given on an as needed basis, and I signed approval for this as well. She didn't get fluids.

Personally, I feel more comfortable getting the bloodwork and would opt for that. If I were undergoing surgery, I would want it for myself. I know that when I called to check the spay prices I was told there were price differences based on the weight of the dog. In my case the change started at 30 pounds, so my dog, even as an adult, fell in the lower category.

Wishing a speedy recovery. Try not to worry (I know that is very hard).
Old April 11th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I've never opted for the pre surgery bloodwork or IV's and never had a problem with any of the spays/neuters.
I have also not ever done an older animal though, I would for one that was up in age.
Old April 11th, 2011, 08:22 PM
chronically insane.

It's entirely up to you. If money is tight and you cannot afford it I wouldn't feel bad about it at all. I've never done either for any of my cats, other than when my one cat got his leg amputated I did an inhouse blood panel just since it was a longer surgery vs. a spay or neuter..

I worked at a low cost spay/neuter clinic for quite a while as a vet tech until I got laid off a few weeks ago.. what I can tell you is we did roughly 10,000 animals there a year with just the basic of basic equipment.. no monitors (we were the monitors!), no fancy bloodwork machines or whatnot. The majority of the animals that came to us had never been to a vet before and were of varying ages from 2 months to 14 years. All in all we would loose maybe 10-20 animals per year, the majority of which had totally insane underlying conditions we couldn't have known about until a necropsy.

Generally spay/neuter is quite safe So wishing you all the best tomorrow morning!

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:35 AM

Thanks to All

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts on this. Much appreciated!
We are off to the vet now and I hope that all goes well!

Tags
dog, options, spay, spayed, spaying