Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old January 8th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Is this a good idea to you ?

http://www.boston.com/community/pets...s_leashes.html

Last edited by Barkingdog; January 8th, 2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old January 8th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I just got an email from Cesar Millan about the yellow dog movement . People are putting a yellow ribbon on their dog leash or collar to let people know their dog needs it space. I never heard of this and I wonder if anyone here has.
Old January 8th, 2014, 05:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The link seems to be broken, Barkingdog, but if the article was about the yellow ribbons on leashes, yes, I've heard about it. The idea has been around for a while, but of course a lot of people have never heard of it and don't know what it means. There have been a lot of news articles and blogs about it, trying to educate people about what the ribbon means.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 8th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
The link seems to be broken, Barkingdog, but if the article was about the yellow ribbons on leashes, yes, I've heard about it. The idea has been around for a while, but of course a lot of people have never heard of it and don't know what it means. There have been a lot of news articles and blogs about it, trying to educate people about what the ribbon means.
I fixed the link. I just heard about it today from the email I got. I live USA , Massachusetts and never seen a dog with a yellow ribbon tied on to their leash. I don't think many people would know what it mean .
Old January 8th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm not a fan. I favour people teaching their kids how to properly approach a dog; owners of dogs teaching people how to properly approach their dog.

Of course this leaves out people who don't know or give a hoot about their dog, the ones who leave poop on the ground, let their dog run loose, get pregnant, chase cars and guess what? I don't trust those kinds of people to put a yellow ribbon on a dog that should have one. And I fear for the poor people who think because that dog doesn't have a yellow ribbon it must be ok.

Actually, now that I've written this all out I've just convinced myself it's a bad idea. Does any parent ever tell their kid it's all right to cross the street just because their light is green and not to look first? Nope, because there might always be some dopey driver who misses their red light and hits that kid. Same thing I think.
Old January 8th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Senior Contributor

When a child want to pet my dog , I will look for their parents if they're close by I will ask the parents if they mind if their child pet my dog . I will not allow a child to pet my dog if they're not with an adult . Some parents will thank me for asking them first. I think there will some people that think a yellow ribbon means someone has come home from the war . I agree parents should teach their kids to not go up to a strange dog . I had a parent ask me if their child could pet Marty while he was barking at another dog. I was like you gotta be kidding me. I had to tell the parent "No , that my dog could accidently bite their child while he is barking. " I feel like telling a person like that they should donate their body to science to see how they lived without a brain.