Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 14th, 2004, 01:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Yay, James said yes!!!!

Well, we have 3 stray cats running around here, 2 greys and 1 black. Well I was talking to James the other night about them, and mentioned that we should use up our kitty food, from when we had Baby Kitty, and he said that he was actually thinking about trying to gain their trust enough where they would atleast come to the door when hungry, so we could let them in to eat and warm up. I am so happy that he was thinking the same thing I was. With any luck, by the end of the winter, we will have 1 maybe even all 3 kitties to care for. I know if we get the black one tamed, we are for sure going to adopt him. James wants to name him Jiminy (Jiminy Cricket from Pinochio). And I would love to have one of the grey ones too. There is a pure grey one and a grey and white striped one. I am hoping to take in all three. But it may not be possible, being that our housing company only allows 2 uncaged pets. But I know of plenty of people who have 4 dogs, so why should three cats be a problem. But if I don't keep all of them, I will bring them to the local shelter. I know that they take good care of their residents. The local paper has a weekly picture of a different adoptable pet each week, and they do practice spay and neuter, so that is great.

Well, I just wanted to share my excitement. I may be getting more furbabies!!!! Yay!!!
Old December 14th, 2004, 02:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Yayyy! Keep the kitties inside, nobody will know how many there are!
Old December 14th, 2004, 02:54 AM
Senior Contributor

That's what James and I say. Heck, I can see putting a limit on how many dogs there are, due to the small yards, but putting a limit on how many cats, there are, why? I doubt the kitties will have a problem staying indoors, if they are spoiled like crazy. We still have a shelf filled with canned food too. And we kept the kitty condo, and the blankets that were BK's. So I think that they would be in kitty paradise living here. The only people that came into our house are friends and family, and they don't care. The housing company NEEDS to ask us permission to even enter our house, so on days we know that they are coming, we will either bring them to a friend's house for the time being or put them in the bedroom, depending on the reason they are coming.
Old December 14th, 2004, 03:56 AM
Senior Contributor

If any of the cats are females, you better trap them now, before there is a litter to take care of.

And my 3 cats are all ex-ferals who had never been in a house, and they have NO desire to return to the outdoors!
Old December 14th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Lilith..good luck with saving these three,I wish they would understand you want to give them a nice warm place to live and come running..
I am glad James is on the same wavelenght as you and cares as much,don't give up :love:
Old December 14th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I couldn't believe that he was thinking the same thing I was! To tell you the truth, I think he is more of a cat guy, than he is a dog guy. I had no problem to him saying yes about the cats, but when I wanted to get Cano....... that took weeks for him to agree on. LOL. I think that I am going to take a short walk by myself today, and see if I can find the little black one. I think he will be the most likely one to trust me, first. The other two run away as soon as they see you, so they were probably born wild or something. I am sure Jiminy will come right to me if I bring him /her some canned food. Maybe with a little luck, Jiminy will love me enough where I can bring her right home with me today. I sure hope so, because it is starting to get cold out there. Even during the day, I wear a thin winter jacket now, because it's a little chilly.
Old December 14th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, I just got back from my walk. It was cold, and I didn't see any of the poor kitties. Next walk I take, by myself, I will take along my camera, and take a picture of where the kitties live. It is so sad.
Old December 21st, 2004, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, the past few days, we have left out food for these poor kitties. And I haven't seen any difference in the amount that is in thw bowl. I am hoping that someone else has taken them in, and something bad hasn't happend to them. I am really concerned about the black one. (S)he' alot smaller than the other two, and I am not sure if it is the age, or just a small cat, but it's not very big at all. And with it getting cold all of a sudden, I am worried that these guys aren't going to make it through the winter. I hope that they are in a warm house, somewhere, right now. Poor kitties.
Old December 21st, 2004, 04:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Lilith,if it's really cold,they are probably hovering somewhere to try to stay alive and don't venture out for food,or maybe some kind soul has taken pity on them :sad:
The problem is,just like with people outside,if they go to sleep they might not wake up again....Sorry,I don't mean to make you feel bad,it's definetly not your fault,but I am sure a lot of cats freeze to death out there in the bitter cold.
I also noticed yesterday,when we had -20C how quickly the food freezes that I put out for the crows,I don't know if you put out dry or canned food,but if it's frozen the cats might not be able to eat it.....just a thought. :sad:
Old December 25th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Senior Contributor

the coldest it has been here so far is -8 F And that was with the windchill. It only lasted a day or 2, it's warm again, now that the wind is coming in from the ocean.
Old December 25th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Lil,

There are some great feral resources online - feralcoaltion.com , alleycats.com and so forth. These might aid you in getting the cats. You probably should trap them and then try to tame them or do it slowly but the trick os to get them to associate you with the food - pretty easy since cats are so smart! And it takes LOTS of time and patience. (depends how long the cats been feral, really whether it is a 1st generation or 2nd generation feral) There is no such thing as a truly feral cat. Most are ex household cats that someone - er some cruel idiot - dumped.
Old December 25th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I keep a dish of kitty food outside on days and nights that it isn't raining. I am hoping to see some food missing one day. James said that if all three do come to our house, and we can get them indoors, we are going to keep them. He doesn't want to bring them to a shelter, and have them just get put out again. It is very common for a military family to move, and just put the cat outside, and leave it here. So he thinks that they would be better off with us. I am sure Cano would love having cats running around again. He's always loved the "small" furry critters. Heck, he even has a few squirrel and bird friends outside.