Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 18th, 2004, 05:50 PM

What People Food is Bad for Dogs?

OK...I just read that grapes are toxic to dogs. This bad because Gabby and my mom's dog both like grapes. Luckily, they very rarely get them.

What else is bad for them? Chocolate, grapes,...

Thanks
Old November 18th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Ontario Dog Lover

I'm sure someone will know more than I, but
chocolate, grapes, raisins, onions. Anything that isn't "really" good for us shouldn't be fed in any quantity to a dog. ie don't feed too much bread, or sweets, or fatty foods.
Old November 18th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is a list of foods that can be toxic to our babies

If your dog has ingested any of these foods, get veterinary help immediately
Grapes and Raisins: Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. As little as a single serving of raisins can kill a dog
Onions: Onions destroy red blood cells and can cause anemia.
Chocolate: Chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death. Baker’s chocolate is the most dangerous. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous.
Coffee, Coffee grounds, tea and tea bags: Drinks/foods containing caffeine cause many of the same symptoms chocolate causes
Macadamia Nuts: Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis.
Animal fat and fried foods: Excessive fat can cause pancreatitis.
Bones: Bones can splinter and damage a dog’s internal organs.
Tomatoes: Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomatoe plants and the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe.
Avocados: The fruit, pit and plant are all toxic. They can cause difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart
Nutmeg: Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures and death
Apples, Cherries, Peaches and similar fruit: The seeds of these fruits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs as well as humans. Unlike humans, dogs do not know to stop eating at the core/pit and easily ingest them.
Raw eggs: Raw eggs can cause salmonella poisoning in dogs. Dogs have a shorter digestive tract than humans and are not as likely to suffer from food poisoning, but it is still possible.
Salt: Excessive salt intake can cause kidney problems.

Food that most dogs can eat:
Some “human” foods are good for dogs. Most of these are healthier than the boxed treats you buy in the grocery store. . This is just a small list of examples of foods dogs can eat, not a list of every food they should eat. Dogs won’t necessarily get all the nutrients they need if they eat these foods exclusively, so check with your veterinarian if you are interested in feeding your dog a home cooked diet.
Any food that causes stomach upsets or digestive problems in your dogs should be avoided. Like people, some dogs cannot tolerate certain foods

Meats:
Meats should be boneless and it’s best if the skin is removed. I don’t consider raw meat a good idea because of the small risk of food poisoning and parasites.
Skinless, boneless chicken breast
Skinless, boneless turkey breast
Boneless fish

Vegetables:
Dogs have shorter digestive tracts than humans and cannot digest most vegetables whole or in large chunks. It’s best to put them through a food processor before giving them to your dog
Carrots
Green Beans
Lettuce
Potatoes
Yams

Grains:
Grains should not be given in large amounts or make up a large part of a dog’s diet, but these foods are generally safe in small amounts
Rice
Bread

Dairy products
Use caution with dairy products as they are high in fat and can cause pancreatitis, gas and diarrhea. Usually, nonfat plain yogurt is safe in small amounts
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 18th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Senior Contributor

People food gives them bad breath, too. We don't feed Daisy people food (except when I "drop" a piece of cheese in the kitchen, or my wife "drops" a french fry), and she doesn't have bad breath. Unless she's gotten a hold of one of the kitty "tootsie rolls"...
Old November 18th, 2004, 06:34 PM

Thanks...she rarely get people food, and when she does it is very little, but good info!
Old November 18th, 2004, 09:32 PM

Fruit's okay if you don't allow them access to the seeds/pits, right? Casey LOVES small pieces of orange.... He'll be so disappointed if I can't give him any anymore
Old November 18th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I give Cano the heels of our loaves of bread. He occasionally gets broccoli and apples, but usually no more than once overy few months. He gets his bread once a week though. He loves it. He really doesn't get much else, unless he's been super good for a month or so.
Old November 19th, 2004, 12:19 AM

meat & bones

I don't wish to start a diet debate, but I just wanted to comment on the reply about raw meat and bone being bad/dangerous for dogs. When used in a PROPERLY RESEARCHED raw diet, raw meat & bone is tolerated extremely well by healthy dogs. In fact, dogs that are fed raw and natural foods live longer & healthier lives than their counterparts that are fed commercial dog food (direct quote from the Holitstic Guide for a Healthy Dog, by Volhard & Brown). COOKED bones of course are extremely dangerous - raw bones are not. My golden has been on an entirely raw diet since late puppyhood, and she's 3 years old now. We feed raw meat, pulped veg, and bones such as chicken necks and wings all the time, and she's thriving. Just another perspective...
Old November 19th, 2004, 12:35 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
Grapes and Raisins: Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. As little as a single serving of raisins can kill a dog

Coffee, Coffee grounds, tea and tea bags: Drinks/foods containing caffeine cause many of the same symptoms chocolate causes

Tomatoes: Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomatoe plants and the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe.

Apples, Cherries, Peaches and similar fruit

My dogs have eaten Raisins, Starbucks caramel Frappuccinos, Pasta dishes,
and Peaches & Cherries

Ohhh my...
Old November 19th, 2004, 12:40 AM

what a great list mastiff and others.
anyone have a list for cats?
i don't plan on giving furbaby people food but would be interested to see what to watch for just in case.
Old November 19th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Kitty Mum

Hello all. Sorry - I hope I am not being a poster hog!!! All this talk though has given me quite a scare and has made me worry about my 3 babies. What foods are bad for cats?

I can start another thread if it helps?

Thanks!
Old July 2nd, 2005, 03:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Rocky, dog. eats watermellon, but mostly the rinds, is that the word? Anyway more importantly is that okay????
Old July 3rd, 2005, 11:07 AM

My Sheltie LOVES grapes. I never knew that grapes were bad for dogs. She only gets a few every 2-3 months though, so hopefully they haven't done any damage. I guess she won't be getting any more now though!
Cricket - (7) Sheltie

Kailey and Courtney - My human babies

A home full of love...
Old July 3rd, 2005, 02:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know if it's overall bad for them, but pork seems to make our two mastiff mixes EXPLODE.
Old July 3rd, 2005, 02:37 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by moontamara
Fruit's okay if you don't allow them access to the seeds/pits, right? Casey LOVES small pieces of orange.... He'll be so disappointed if I can't give him any anymore
It is the seeds that are dangerous, small amounts of the fruit is OK.
I give Justice a peices of apples, but they are peices, cut from the core. I wouldn't give her a hole apple to chew on.

Also beware of fruits with a lot of sugar, as it can be hard for them to digest. They can be given, preferably in small amounts and not often (Banana being a perfect example)
Old July 4th, 2005, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Cats&AGolden
I don't wish to start a diet debate, but I just wanted to comment on the reply about raw meat and bone being bad/dangerous for dogs. When used in a PROPERLY RESEARCHED raw diet, raw meat & bone is tolerated extremely well by healthy dogs. In fact, dogs that are fed raw and natural foods live longer & healthier lives than their counterparts that are fed commercial dog food (direct quote from the Holitstic Guide for a Healthy Dog, by Volhard & Brown). COOKED bones of course are extremely dangerous - raw bones are not. My golden has been on an entirely raw diet since late puppyhood, and she's 3 years old now. We feed raw meat, pulped veg, and bones such as chicken necks and wings all the time, and she's thriving. Just another perspective...
I have to agree. I've been researching raw diets for about 6 months and switched Daisy to a raw diet a couple of weeks ago. She's doing great.