Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 2nd, 2007, 04:33 AM

Exclamation Adopted by a Pregnant Cat

I came home yesterday to find a cat at my doorstep...I already knew the cat and the owners recently moved out (it's been a couple weeks) and left her behind (i could never do such a thing)...she's pregnant and I've never had a cat before. I'm actually allergic to them, but my heart would never leave an animal in need of help. I am keeping her for life, and she will be indoors(with the help of allergy medication, and my fiance). She has a vet appointment on Friday (tomorrow), but I need all the advice I can get. I'm not sure how far along she is or how old she is, she's very small and hasn't been eating properly. Even though my nieghbor has been feeding her whenever she showed up there. I was told by my long time cat owner friend to feed her kitten food, so I am. She layed on my hand, and I felt movement. Please tell me whatever you can to help me help her. Thank you!

Last edited by CheryBomb13; August 2nd, 2007 at 04:35 AM. Reason: i wanted to clarify that this cat will no longer be an outside cat
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:23 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Welcome to the forum! Let me start by saying you are an Angel for taking this precious little one into your home! You will be rewarded ! I really beleive thais! The vet should be able to give you alot of information! Was she an indoor cat before they left her? There may be some transition to indoors if not...but that is okay! she and babies will be much safer inside!

The forum has alot of great information here and if you search around you will find info on feeding etc...There will be some more wonderful people coming on line soon and I am positive someone will have more info than me!

Good Luck with her!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:36 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

How wonderful for you to take her in. She should be brought into the house and if you are allergic keep her confined to one room if possible. She should not be allowed outside during or after her pregnancy because she will need all her energy to feeding those sweet kittens and needs to be kept safe.

Place a large box with a door with a high step cut out of it and place some old towels down, a litter box, and a feeding area away from the litter. She is best eating a high quality kitten food especially when she starts lactating.

Good luck and keep us posted on her progress.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:51 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

How wonderful of you to take her in.
Your allergies may really flair up for a few weeks, but should subside the more accustomed to the cat you become. Both my husband and I are allergic to cats and we have 4
I agree keep her inside.
Let us know what the vet says.

Cindy
Old August 2nd, 2007, 09:18 AM

I agree that the allergies will subside How wonderful that she and her babies have a HOME now!!!!!!! I'm just so happy to read that.

Make sure you keep her inside during her pregnancy so she doesn't wander off and give birth somewhere outside or dangerous. It's much better to have her give birth inside so that she can tend to her kittens in safety. Put her cozy box somewhere out of the way (animals usually seek out somewhere private). I hope you will spay/neuter the kittens
Old August 2nd, 2007, 09:44 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

My husband is allergic to cats and we have 2 permanent and 1 foster with 7 kittens and his allergies don't bother him anymore as long as there is proper ventilation and regular vacumming.

to you for caring for this momma.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:09 AM

Thumbs up Kammy is adapting very well

I forgot to mention the cats name "Kammy", she seems to be adjusting very well, and so am I (allergies aren't as bad as I expected, but still a factor). My dog (Dee Dee) loves her and seems to be taking Kammy under her wing. They were sharing Dee Dee's dogbed when I came home from work this morning (it was adorable, by the way ). Kammy is eating very well now, Hopefully she will gain more weight soon (by the way she was eating...I have little doubt she will). I called an emergency vet today because I have feeling she will be having the kittens sooner than I expected. She's been laying around a lot, in the nest I made her (huge box with a couple flleece blankets and towels), she's been lactating (not a lot, just a little) and cleaning herself...I've felt a lot of movement in her too...the vet told me that it sounds like she will be having them very quickly. My Fiance is going to keep an eye on her while I'm at work, and my friend (who has 4 cat's and a dog) managed to get me a FREE vet appointment...I couldn't believe it, i was so happy I almost cryed. We will be taking her as soon as I get off work in the moring. wish me luck!
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Cherybomb, this cat definitely came to the right doorstep. She got you, a guy who doesn't think watching over a pregnant cat is weird, a vet who will consult over the phone and a friend who can wrangle free appointments. Awesome!
If you've got a camera, we'd love a picture.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 06:14 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheryBomb13 View Post
My dog (Dee Dee) loves her and seems to be taking Kammy under her wing. They were sharing Dee Dee's dogbed when I came home from work this morning (it was adorable, by the way ).
I would say that this was meant to be . Sounds like Kammy is going to make a wonderful addition to your family.

Yes, as Badger said, we love pictures.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:33 PM
~Cat Servent~

I too have allergies and now 6 kitties, the longer you live with them the more the allergies subside. I think you almost build up an immunity to your pets, because other people's pets still bother me, but mine don't.

And bless you for taking this girl in .... and booo to the previous owners.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:39 PM
-

Thank you for taking her in ! I'm glad it's working out for everyone, I hope everything goes well.
Old August 4th, 2007, 09:44 AM
-

... I know you're busy but "any news" ?
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:24 AM

Thumbs up 3 Healthy Kittens!

Kammy gave birth to her kittens this morning. She did great, and I didn't have to do to much...the second kitty gave her a liitle trouble (I helped her out), but everything went pretty smooth. I wasn't sure how she would react with me helping, but she welcomed me with open paws! She only had 3...all alive and healthy! I was afraid there was another one stuck in there so I took her to the emergency vet...nope she was empty.

I will definately get some picture for you all to see, I only have access to a computer at work or at my parents house. But I should be able to post some very soon. I already found homes for the kittens too, one is going to my friend that got me the free vet visit and another one is going to my good friend from high school...both of girls spoil their kittys and would take good care of them. (PURRRFECT!) I will be keeping one of the kittens myself(well...my fiance actually, he claimed the firstborn). My vet told me to bring them in in 2 weeks to get them checked out, then I will ask her how old they need to be before they can be spayed or neutered. Momma cat will be spayed too.

I'll keep you updated!
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:38 AM

Question 12 weeks

I just remembered that I have 12 weeks with these cuties...I need more advice...when will they start roaming and what kind of issues should I expect? I have a safe room for them to be in, but there has to be a lot more I can do. I know a giant cardboard box won't hold them for long. This might sound kinda silly, but I thought about pitching a tent inside one of the rooms....is that a bad idea? I'm probably overreacting, I tend to do that...my hearts in the right place...but my mind, is running in circles.
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:01 AM
The demons' servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheryBomb13 View Post
I just remembered that I have 12 weeks with these cuties...I need more advice...when will they start roaming and what kind of issues should I expect? I have a safe room for them to be in, but there has to be a lot more I can do. I know a giant cardboard box won't hold them for long. This might sound kinda silly, but I thought about pitching a tent inside one of the rooms....is that a bad idea? I'm probably overreacting, I tend to do that...my hearts in the right place...but my mind, is running in circles.
ROFL

First off you need to breathe. Ok?

I DO know that after about 6 weeks they'll be little bundles of hell. Not that they would EVER get into anything that they shouldn't *shifty eyes*. Cat proof your home. Think of baby proofing and then double it. Seriously. LOL.

Make sure you take everything dangerous/breakable off counters or tables and things. Expect to find cat hair ALLLLL over the house. Hide any and all rubber bands and tie wraps you own (in drawers) and be on the lookout for any new ones (I STILL don't know where my two get theirs ). Buy climbing posts and toys and things (or make them if you're so inclined). Prepare several ways of discouraging kitties from jumping onto places that could hurt them: water bottle sprayer, aluminum foil, the little electric mats, things to put at the edge of counters to make it seem like there's no "top," etc.

Those are just MY suggestions anyways. The others will have even more soon too. Just let us get some sleep!

Megan
Old August 6th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Cherybomb,thank you,thank you for taking this little mom in to your home
For the moment all you can do is keep an eye on them and make sure mom gets nutritious food,to produce enough milk for her babies.
Soon enough you'll have questions,we'll be here,helping out step by growing-up-kittens step
I can't wait to see pictures of mom and the babies
Old August 6th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Crazy Cat Lady N Training

i don't know how much research u've done outside of the site, but here are some "worries" that new pet human mommies may have:

-the embilical cord will fall off in a few days. it looks really icky just dried and hanging there. u can get a better idea of their sex around then. there are graphic of kitty.....um...genitals(?) online that u can use for comparison.
-eyes will open around 1 to 2 weeks old. despends on the kitten, everyone goes at a diff rate.
-around 2-3 weeks they wil begin to walk around. pretty much when they can see and wanna follow mommy around. i had a hard time w/ my last litter of them "escaping" the box. that is when u start to close the door of the room they are in and REALLY kitty proof everything.
-once they start to show an interest in "big kitty" food, around 4-6 wks. let them, they mostly sniff and then bat the kernals around the room. kittens will learn alot about what to do from mommy. of course u still wanna be feeding mommy kitten food while she is nursing. it will keep her body fat up and help produce milk. i'd suggest mixing adult and kitten food (maybe 1/2 and 1/2 or 1/4 kitten 3/4 adult for mommy) wet food will also be very good for both mommy and babies.
-kittens lose teeth just like poeple. i believe around 6wks is when they lose them. the "milk teeth" (VERY tiny front teeth between their "fangs") become painful for mommy when the babies are nursing and when they lose them, they will start to nurse more, once the teeth start coming back in, mommy will be more persistant on making them stop.
-mommy will make them stop nursing when ready. if it gets to be more than 8 wks, i'd try to influence mommy and babies to stop. i had a littler at 10 wks and they all got a "last sip" before they left to their new homes.
-around 8 wks they are ready to go to their new homes. i believe around 6wks is when they can get their first flea baths and de-worming and shots.....it may be 8, i'm not positive.

there are a lot of really good people on here w/ tons of litter experience and may have better resourses than i, but i hope that this helps you out. this mommy and her triplets are so lucky to have you. glad u know poeple who connections w/ vets. don't be afraid to message me w/ questions..... hope this has helped......
Old August 6th, 2007, 11:46 PM

So Far So Good

they are doing great, but Momma cat tried to move into our closet...no that isn't going to work for me. I put a couple of old stuffed animals in the box and a couple more towels....she seems to have accepted my offer to keep her in the box, but we'll see how long that last.

I work 3rd shift and that's the only time I have internet access, my schedule is well...backwards. So please don't mind my late night/early morning posts. I will be going to my parents house and will get some pictures taken within a few days.
Old August 7th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Senior Contributor

That's ok,we don't mean to stress you,well,just a little
The kittens and moma are not going anywhere,we'll wait patiently
Old August 7th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Sounds as though you are doing fine!

Here is an url that has a Kitten handbook that provides much of the same info I can provide and more.

http://www.kittenrescue.org/handbook.htm

This one is also good:

http://www.carepets.org/catsub/cat_p...rnhandbook.pdf

Good luck and thanks for being an to this mama and her babies!