Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 29th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Kitty Mum

Unhappy What do you think?

As some of you know, I have been looking for a small dog to rescue as Christmas gift to my mum. Please do not worry, my mum is 100% involved in this. With all of the pets that are in need I would never put an animal through the surprise gift giving epidemic that happens at Christmas yearly.

I have this extremely wonderful rescue worker who is helping me find a dog that is in urgent need (due to be euth'd). When we find one that looks like it would suit my mum she contacts them - if they sound perfect she would do a pull for me. Well, there was one I saw...small young female terrier mix in an Ohio shelter. The original page I saw for her said her last day was today. This was last week. So the woman I am working with emailed and called them and received no reply. Last night we were talking and she suggested I email so that they realize there was more interest in her. So, of course, I did - immediately. I came in this morning and there was nothing in my mailbox. Then I checked the web site and her picture was gone!!! Today is her euth/gas day..... Her picture was up all last week until last night, then today it was gone. I have this horrible pit in my stomach - I have such a bad feeling...

I emailed again today and still have heard nothing :sad: I am going to call shortly - though they seem to have their voicemail on all the time.

What do you think? Do you think she was PTS? Do you think this sounds as bad as it seems to me? Or do you think she was most likely pulled?

I may be feeling pessimistic because this is her last day and her picture was there last night....

Sorry, to need to talk so much lately. You will probably be hearing more from me about my search for the "perfect" dog for my mum.
Old November 29th, 2004, 01:06 PM

I'm going to be optimistic on this and say that there are two possibilities:

1- They pulled her picture because she was adopted.

2- They pulled her picture because they're updating it and putting in "adoption pending".

I do hope it's not the drastic end you think it might be. I can't see that as there was such interest in her.
Old November 29th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey, there is nothing wrong with needing to talk. Everyone needs to be listened to once and a while. And you need it now. You seem very concerned over these dogs' lives, and it is sad to hear what may be happening. I am just hoping that you soon find the right one for your mom.

I know how it is thinking you found the perfect dog, only to call and find out he is no longer available. It took well over a month of searching before finding Cano. My husband suggested getting him, because he knew the guy who was selling him. At first I wasn't so happy about a big dog, but the moment I saw his eye, I fell in love with him. It felt like it took forever to find him, and he is the pefect dog for my family.

Don't feel so bad about a dog being PTS. Even though it is heartbreaking, look at the brighter side, the dog never has to worry about going to the wrong home, and having to go through more torture. And God is the one to decide when every creature has had it's time on Earth. When they go with him, they have a place that no human could ever give them, and plenty of pals to run around with. Keep your chin up. Christmas is almost here, and you are on a mission!
Old November 29th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Kitty Mum

Thanks so much Lilith_Rizel! You just made me feel so much better about what I know this process holds in the future for me. I already had to deal with saying no to one dog and it was the most horrible feeling I have ever had. It had a happy ending for the luvable boy though, he was adopted the day he was to be PTS. Which was so amazing to feel that happiness for him after 24+ hours of turmoil. I know that I may not be as lucky, they may not be as lucky, next time I have to say no - though I am hoping that I won't. I realize that this is part of doing this, but it hurts non the less.

I just got off the phone with the shelter. She is still there! So it must be like you said GSdDiamond, they must be updating her info. The lady could only give me limited information on her. She was a receptionist and there were no rescue workers available to talk to me. She is 30lbs (is that small?) and a stray. The sad news is that she can only be adopted within the area. To find out more info on her someone has to physically go in, see her and talk to a rescue worker. If somebody decides that they want her they have to physically go in and get her. I guess that makes perfect sense, but if another rescue is willing to pull her and save her life wouldn't they be more willing? It is another rescue not just some random person without a face all the way over here in Canada.

Here is a picture of her....
Attached Images

Old November 29th, 2004, 01:44 PM

Oh, she's so cute! I'm glad you're feeling better!!!!

You're such a caring person for worrying about a dog you've never met. Such a big heart with so much love. Truely a special person!
Old November 29th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Kitty Mum

Awww! Thank you so much! You know you are too! I would say that almost everyone here is - that is what makes this place so incredibly special. She really is beautiful - I hope somebody saves this little angel face.
Old November 29th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Senior Contributor

My friend has a dog that weighs 35 pounds. He is half the height of a lab, so it is a fairly decent size of dog.

That dog is cute by the way. I am sure that you will find the perfect dog soon. James and I were just about to give up, when he heard about Cano. We had looked into two other dogs prior, a papillon named Rocko, and a shiba inu named Spike, Rocko was already adopted, and we were unable to get ahold of a person to set up a date to come and see Spike. There was also a shepard/ sheltie mix named Scarlet that we were looking at, but the owner never called us back, and we called multiple times, and the owner's room mate said that she was still interested in selling Scarlet, so we just gave up on that one. There was a few other dogs we were interested in, but they were either already adopted, or the owner changed their minds. James said we were going to get Cano, because he didn't want him to go to a shelter, and he had seen the dog, and he was quite friendly. And like I said, I wan't thrilled on a big dog. But I am so happy that we did get him. He is the most perfect dog I have ever seen. And I wouldn't give him up, if my life depended in it. Just be patient. It took us well ver a month, and lots of begging from me, for james and I to actually find Cano. James' mom had to tell him to go ahead and get me a puppy too, just for him to fully agree to it. It was weird, because he had no problem getting a cat, but he really didn't want a dog, at first.... I guess he is more of a cat guy.
Old November 29th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Kitty Mum

That is exactly where I am right now. I just feel like giving up, but I know that I wont because I am in too deep now. Now that I have seen how many animals are looking for loving arms - I just cannot turn my back. I am sure that is how you felt as well - you wanted to give up and had that feeling because you were so tired, but knew that you wouldn't. I saw another dog just now at a shelter in Oshawa. He is a small terrier (terriers seem to be what I am drawn to - I think it is because I know that mym mum likes terrier mixes). I inquired about him and he sounds perfect...but then I found out he was 200.00 plus tax. That is more than I can pay - my husband would be so mad if I spent that. I am looking to pay 150.00. The wonderful woman I am working with would pull a dog from being PTS and adopt to me for 150.00 flat. This is such a hard process....

You really love your Cano, even though he is a big dog! I can tell by the way you talk about him all the time. Sounds like Cano has James wrapped around his paw by what you have said in other posts as well. I am glad you guys found the right dog for you. What you just said shows me that sometimes you have to wait a while because the pet finds you, you don't find the pet.
Old November 29th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

That is so true, tyr. And Cano does have James wrapped around his paw. Although Cano was a present to me, James still calls him his dog. And 90% of the time, James is the one who gets him a new toy or treat. He spoils him more than I do. LOL. I love that dog to death, even though he is a handful.