Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 14th, 2010, 10:53 AM

Colouring Your Dog With Dye ?

With Halloween up and coming, I've tried to find more information on this and am having some trouble identifying which dyes are safe to use (or if any are). Does anybody have specific experience with this? Obviously, I know that regular dye - for humans - is not acceptable. I'm wondering if any dyes are acceptable? If a dog or cat doesn't mind being dyed (or, conversely, dressed) up, what are your general thoughts on colouring?
Old September 14th, 2010, 10:56 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

My thought is it is just as easy to put a costume on the poor dog or cat and leave it at that. Why risk harming them with any kind of dye when you have something that simple at hand? Just my

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with 14+K 100% but....

If you insist on doing so, I would test on a human first and see if they rash, have skin problems or allergies to the dye and also if it comes off easily or at all. Also, have them ingest it to see if there is any adverse effects. Also, leave on too see if there will be any skin peeling or hair loss in clumps.

Good luck and I would love to hear the 'human' results before administering to an animal.
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Half Way To Crazy

I would just put a costume on your dog/cat
there's some really cute costumes out there these days this way you can save it for next year

but if you have to use a dye then I would contact a groomer and see what she can recommend.
Old September 14th, 2010, 04:54 PM
-

I also agree that you should just put a costume on your pet. I know it is a big fad to dye them nowadays, especially in China, but I just don't agree with it. If you feel you absolutely must dye your pet please have it done by a groomer and make sure that only safe dyes are used.
Old September 14th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

I agree as well, costumes are just as cute. But if you really feel the need to dye them and you are looking for the "funkier" colors, kool-aid works well and is safe, but takes a very long time to wear out. I have a friend who dyes his cats every year.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 14th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Here are a couple of links:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4998312_dye-dogs-hair.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Dye-Your-Dog's-Hair-with-Kool-Aid

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 14th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

what about food colouring? that should be safe?

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old September 14th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
what about food colouring? that should be safe?
Vegetable based food coloring is safe according to what I have read.

Old September 14th, 2010, 08:49 PM

Manic Panic is a hair dye that is natrual and vegetable based that some grromers use, and I have usd before. It's a very strong bold colour and does wash out. It is expensive (like $20 for one bottle) Just remember that any dye you put on your pet will be semi permanent and it is a bit late in the season to shave them down to get the dye out, and it would take alot of washing to get out which can damage the fur.