Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 6th, 2013, 12:44 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Unhappy Hyperthyroid Cat - What foods other than y/d?

Hi everyone!

Looks like my once big guy Jake has been diagnosed with HT. He went from a decent 12lbs to 6.2

I am pregnant and due soon to deliver soon, so my vet suggested that we not go the medication route until I finish breastfeeding, which would probably be in 2+ years, as the meds are hormonal and so I shouldn't be touching them (and to trust my DH to give them each day .. )

So of course they want me to give y/d . I HATE Hills, so what foods would be a better solution? Would Wellness work? Jake is great on canned food, so I am open to whatever is better for him.

Thanks for your help!

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old February 6th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi phoozles! Congrats on the upcoming baby!

As for food, there really isn't anything else as low in iodine as the Y/D, but I wouldn't recommend going that route anyway. Here are a couple great articles by a veterinary endocrinologist on the whole Y/D propaganda machine:
http://endocrinevet.blogspot.ca/2011...-diet-for.html
http://www.animalendocrine.com/yd/

What about if you were to handle the meds with gloves? You could also avoid touching them altogether by placing (with tweezers, or carefully tipping the bottle) each dose into a mortar and pestle and pulverizing it, then mixing the powder into some baby food as a "treat" for Jake.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 6th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I also think maybe your vet is being overly paranoid about handling methimazole while breast-feeding: http://www.drugs.com/breastfeeding/methimazole.html

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:01 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Hey sugarcatmom! I'm glad you're still around

Yeah, it seemed really strange that she didn't want me to touch them.. Maybe I'll call motherrisk and see what they say about me handling the pills. The food is so crappy, and I'm worried about Alley having to eat it as well (they like to switch bowls in between meals).

That link you provided involves someone actually taking it while breastfeeding, so just touching it shouldn't be an issue, I would think.

I'm thinking the meds would end up being around the same price as that crappy food.. ?

Old February 13th, 2013, 10:10 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Just an update..

I have decided to go with the radio-iodine therapy. More research showed that it really wouldn't be a good idea for me to touch the meds while I am pregnant/nursing, plus the cost of his testing and all the pills for the rest of his life would exceed the cost of the procedure in just over a year, I'd imagine.

Plus I can get him off of the y/d

Because they didn't get a concrete T4 reading, I need to bring him back to get a new blood test, along with a urinanalysis to make sure his T4 levels aren't masking any renal failure. If everything is a go, he goes in on Feb 23rd! It's a two hour drive, but worth it.

all is well for my little guy!

Funny though, my vet said that it would be best if he was on a low protein diet in case he does have some renal failure, so wants me to feed him k/d now.. After I just bought several cans of Wellness. I'm not going to give him that junk!

Growler, if there is any chance you are reading this, or anyone else who dealt with renal issues, isn't high protein better for them? Or should I really be avoiding it?

Old February 14th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoozles View Post
I have decided to go with the radio-iodine therapy.
Good decision! This will actually cure the hyperT, whereas the meds only control symptoms and don't prevent the tumor from growing further. There are situations where it's better to go with the meds (for instance, a geriatric or extremely fearful cat that wouldn't do well away from home during the I-131 treatment), but I'm sure Jake will do great.

Quote:
Funny though, my vet said that it would be best if he was on a low protein diet in case he does have some renal failure, so wants me to feed him k/d now..

Definitely do not feed K/D!!! Absolutely horrific food and completely the wrong way to deal with feline renal issues. A cat with CKD needs what all cats should be eating: quality MEAT-based protein with sufficient moisture. In cases of advanced kidney disease, phosphorus levels may need to be kept on the lower side but that doesn't necessarily mean also lowering protein. My almost 20 yr old guy has had stage III CKD for the past 3 years and he eats predominantly a raw diet, along with canned Wellness, Nature's Variety, Weruva, Precise, etc, for snacking on between meals. He's doing fantastic (no weight loss, good appetite, no vomiting), far surpassing the average lifespan of cats eating K/D in various "studies". Here is a good discussion of protein requirements for older cats and dogs:
The Nutrient Your Pet Needs More of As They Age: Protein

Old February 15th, 2013, 12:55 AM

I've got a thread here on Radioactive Iodine Therapy
Jake will need to stay in clinic for a week for the treatment, usually treatment is administered either once or twice depending on how high the T4 and the rest of the week is to give time for the radioactive iodine to be mostly eliminated before going home.

Once Jake gets home for about a week you will not be allowed litter box duty - your husband will have to take care of that while wearing gloves. Jake is also not supposed to sleep with any family member or have prolonged close contact ie 3-4 or more hours of him sitting on someone's lap etc for a week as he will still be shedding the radioactive particles in his urine, saliva etc for that time.

When Duffy had the procedure she came through it like a star & she had an old t shirt I had slept in for the week prior with her in her cage (it doesn't come home they toss it) & a couple of toys from home. The Drs let the cats out for playtime every day & give updates on how they are doing, what toys they like to play with most etc.

As for food like SCM says high quality protein is best Wellness is good as are others she's mentioned, especially since at this point he might not even have CRF

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 15th, 2013, 03:55 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Thanks for that thread Growler!

So it turns out that Jake's kidneys are showing signs of failure.

His urine concentration was 1.016. So it's not in renal failure stage, but is below normal function.

His T4 wasn't crazy high, but he definitely needs treatment.

The woman who runs the clinic that does the therapy is concerned only because she can't guarantee that his kidneys won't fail even a couple of months after the therapy. Regardless, he needs treatment, and his kidneys could go whether we gave him the pills or the therapy.

The good news is that she is planning on reducing the price to just $1000. She will also keep him an extra week at no extra cost to make it safer for me, and they will cover the cost of the follow up T4 tests in a year.

I think we will still go for it. I have to do what I can to save him - he's still a healthy guy despite all of this! I will stick with the Wellness and like brands food (even though he's not eating the Wellness right now )

Thanks for your help! Looks like he's getting in for the procedure next weekend!

Old February 16th, 2013, 12:06 AM

Nice they are dropping the price I know that's a factor in most people going w the meds instead
Awesome that they are willing to help you out with an extra week of boarding too. Will be a load off your mind

Old March 7th, 2013, 02:24 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Just a quick update - he is back from the therapy, and does seem to have an extra spring in his step! They emailed me everyday that he was in there to give me an update - very sweet!

I'm trying to get him to beef up again because of all the weight he lost prior to the procedure. Checking out some high protein diets (he is sort of eating the Wellness, but my other cat isn't a fan). I wish I could do raw, but that's not going to happen, so I'm trying to find the next best thing.

Old March 7th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Just a quick update - he is back from the therapy, and does seem to have an extra spring in his step!
Yay!!!

Quote:
I wish I could do raw, but that's not going to happen, so I'm trying to find the next best thing.
Can you find a brand called ZiwiPeak? They make some high quality, high protein canned foods. Nature's Variety Instinct is another good one (and they recently released a new pork flavour that my cats love).

Old March 7th, 2013, 06:14 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Can you find a brand called ZiwiPeak? They make some high quality, high protein canned foods. Nature's Variety Instinct is another good one (and they recently released a new pork flavour that my cats love).
Hmm.. I'll take a look - good to know! I'll see what I can find!

Old March 7th, 2013, 08:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Great update, phoozles!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 8th, 2013, 01:12 AM

Great update
Sounds like he & you were treated very well by the staff @ the clinic

Old March 8th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Phoozles,I don't think you know me,but we've decided our kitty Chico will have the RAID treatment.
Our problem is,the Toronto location had an electrical fire and flooding,will not reopen before another 4 months,we are in Oakville.

The other alternative is London Ont,which is ok,but it's 2 hours away,however,I am certainly willing to drive.Now that we have decided this route for Chico,I am eager to go ahead,where did you take Jake?
I am glad Jake is doing good!
Old May 31st, 2013, 12:01 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Phoozles,I don't think you know me,but we've decided our kitty Chico will have the RAID treatment.
Our problem is,the Toronto location had an electrical fire and flooding,will not reopen before another 4 months,we are in Oakville.

The other alternative is London Ont,which is ok,but it's 2 hours away,however,I am certainly willing to drive.Now that we have decided this route for Chico,I am eager to go ahead,where did you take Jake?
chico2 - I remember you from back in the day!!

I went to the one in London. It was a 2 hour drive for me too, but well worth it! Jane works there and will give you updates the entire time - they were great! I highly recommend them.

Old May 31st, 2013, 01:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Phoozles,we will be going to Guelph University Vet-hospital,they have just opened there RAID clinic,are just waiting for the licence from the government.
It's only about 1 hour away,I don't mind the driving,but my vet likes Guelph,that where he went to school and he knows a lot of people there.
Old May 31st, 2013, 02:10 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Is it considered a cancer if there's a tumour on the thyroid? I just had Bobee's bloodwork done.....everything including a T4 and urinalysis..ouch price wise but considering how little I've had to spend over the past 13 years I can't really complain. This vet does their own labwork too so that's nice. Anyway checked his insurance which I've never used and he's got a policy that covers some things as it's an indoor cat policy but is kinda limited but does cover cancer, diabetes, feline urinary tract issues and asthma. I suppose he could be diabetic as well so just gotta wait for the test results.
Old May 31st, 2013, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Pattymac,Rocky ended up having a growth almost 2 inches long,that prevented him from bending his head to eat or drink:-( It was heartbreaking,I loved that boy so much.
The vet thought he had cancer of the Para Thyroid,but we never found out.
Old May 31st, 2013, 05:53 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Quote:
Phoozles,we will be going to Guelph University Vet-hospital,they have just opened there RAID clinic,are just waiting for the licence from the government.
It's only about 1 hour away,I don't mind the driving,but my vet likes Guelph,that where he went to school and he knows a lot of people there.
Yeah, I thought about going there, but I didn't want to wait for them to open. Just so you know if you change your mind, the London group was really awesome. They also cover your T4 testing a year later.

I'm sure they will be great there too - I went to university there! Big hugs for Chico and you, of course!

Old May 31st, 2013, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
Is it considered a cancer if there's a tumour on the thyroid?
Most cases of hyperthyroidism are due to a benign tumour, but in some cases it can eventually become malignant. Here is a great explanation by Dr. Mark Peterson, the quintessential authority on endocrine issues in pets: http://animalendocrine.blogspot.ca/2...hyroid_26.html

Old February 22nd, 2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:

chico2, are you still on this site? I was wondering how the cats have been doing as I read some of your others posts? Do you still have Chico and Vinnie? Do you have other cats now? The spraying posts were funny LOL! Do you happen to have any video of them spraying outside as it would be funny to see them competing in spraying the same bush!

Tags
canned food, cat, hyperthyroidism