Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 13th, 2014, 05:55 PM

Exclamation Something is wrong with my Pug... Help us!

My beautiful fawn female Pug "Jovi" is just 5 years old. She was the picture perfect little clown dog...always moving at top speed, jumping on the kids.. Etc. On Thursday evening at 8:00 pm, I put her in the yard (fenced and safe) for about an hour. When I went to put her in she was huddled under the patio furniture not moving so I physically brought her inside, put her in her dog bed and went to bed.
Friday morning, she wouldn't move. I stood her up and she walked about 4 feet before stumbling and falling over on her side. I immediately drove her to the animal hospital. The Veterinarian checked her (Jovi at the time was moving repeatedly around in small circles) ...the Dr. said she was obviously agitated and her heart rate was 180 (high) but it was difficult to tell what caused it, but it was most likely (best guess) a bee sting. She told me to give her Benydrl for 3 days.
She hasn't improved. On Friday evening, I just held hr in a blanket and she would move her head slightly and wag her tail a little but very little body movement. Then at 2am on Sat. She stood up, walked to the kitchen, drank a bowl of water, walked back and laid down. She didn't move the rest of the night. This morning I lifted her like a baby and took her to the yard. She stood up, walked 4 steps...her front right paw bent under, she froze, looked at me and All her limbs went out from under her..she fell to her side. I can't get her to eat or drink now. I even made bacon and broke it up into tiny pieces. Nothing.
1. Does this really seem like a bee sting?
2. Should I go back to the same Vet or a different one?
3. Anyone have any idea what is going on? Please, I'm very much in need of knowledge & advice.

Note:
jovi's breathing seems deep and labored at times.
She doesn't appear to be "in pain" but is making NO SOUNDS at all..nothing!
She seems to still be coherent and alert but very I'll.
No vomiting. No diarrhea. No eating. Limited drinking.
I know this is something traumatic.
Please help!
Old July 13th, 2014, 09:23 PM

Get to a Vet

This sounds serious. Go see another vet.
Old July 13th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I had two dogs get stung by a bee and they where not sick for 3 days , maybe your dog ate a toxic plant or got into something . Maybe you should check your yard and see if you can see if any plants been dug up or chewed on.
Old July 13th, 2014, 11:02 PM

I agree with you. This sounds serious and requires a further vet visit. I hope your Jovi is on the mend soon
Old July 14th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I think a blood test might be in order at this point if symptoms are the same.

Whichever vet you choose should be referred (hopefully by someone you trust)and you should feel very comfortable with the vet.
unless you felt the first vet was negligent or bad in any way , Changing vets without a recommendation to a better vet is a bad idea imo. wishing you
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter