Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 6th, 2009, 02:07 AM

Unhappy Cat not using the bathroom, eating or drinking

Hello I really need some advise other than take my cat to the vet. I live in a town with one vet. He does not do payment plans and I just don't have the money to out right pay for a vet visit. Its been 3 days since I've actually seen one of my cats eat or drink on his own. I have been using an eye dropper(2tbs.) to get water into him. I give him 4tbs. every couple of hours. When I put him near food or food near him he just moans. He goes into the litter box quite often but nothing comes out. He'll scratch at the litter like hes trying to cover something up but theres nothing coming out. 2 days ago he just walked around and moaned all day long. Especially when he was in the litter box. He wouldn't moan when he was laying down. He stopped the moaning. Now he just lays around more than usual. He won't even come up to me to get pet. But he seems happier when I go to him and pet him. In a way I just want to think hes "backed" up with how much time he spends lin the litter box but Im not sure. Hes an indoor cat. If you know anything I can do to try and help him out and make him better please let me know. I know I shouldn't have a cat if I can't afford everything to go with it but when I moved into this place a couple of months ago the landlord said that the people here before me had the cats and left them and I could put them out if I didn't want them and I just didn't have the heart to kick two poor little cats out of there home just because money is tight for me. So please if there are any ideas please let me know. Thanks!!!
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Your cat is dying a slow and very painful death.

There really is no advice other then to take him to a vet or shelter.
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Garden nut

Since you have a male I would say that possibly he has urine crystals blocking his urethra and is full of urine. Kidneys will fail. I am not a vet and only going by what you have said... but I have seen this happen first hand with a cat I had but he had to be put to sleep because I didn't know any better. This was in 2004 and was the most horrible thing I ever witnessed.

As LavenderRott, he's dying a slow and painful death. His moans will get louder and louder and he will suffer.

If he's got the crystal blockage, a final vet visit is your only option if you don't have the money for surgery (of which there is no guarantee anyway). There are no home remedy fixes for your kitty's problem.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Senior Contributor

There are a number of organizations in the States that might be able to provide financial aid for your situation, but you have to get this cat to a vet NOW!!! Here is a list: http://www.uan.org/index.cfm?navId=163

Are there any friends or family members you can borrow money from? If you truly have no options, then please at least do the humane thing and surrender this poor cat to the vet where they can either treat it and adopt it out to someone else, or euthanize it if he's suffering. It's the decent thing to do.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 7th, 2009, 08:20 AM

Im sorry I forgot to mention he stopped moaning after a day and as of yesterday hes drinking on his own
Old April 7th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope you are planning on taking him to the vet even though you say he's now eating and drinking. He needs medical attention.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 7th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Catlover2

Good that he's eating and drinking, but more importantly is he peeing and pooping? If not, please get him to the vet.
Old April 8th, 2009, 08:14 PM

Well since I can't afford the vet we took him to the animal shelter and they said that the owners had gotten him there and that he has cancer. He died yesterday. :sad: