Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 17th, 2005, 10:44 AM

Arthritis in dogs

Hey,

I was wondering if any of you know of herbal medicines that can help with arthritis in dogs?
Old October 17th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

It's not herbal, but glucosamine is a commonly used supplement for both humans and dogs with arthritis. My dog gets it as a preventitive measure because she runs so much, and my best friend's golden who has an arthritic hip takes it, with great results. (As does my mom, not to compare her to a dog, who also experiences a lot of relief from it)
Old October 17th, 2005, 12:04 PM

My beagle has osteoarthritis of the hip and knees. She has already had surgery in one knee. She is on Sasha's Blend which is a natural supplement that comes in a powder form and you just add it to their food. My dog loves it! It has done miracles on her. She went from being unable to climb stairs to jumping up on furniture and people!

Here is a link that will tell you more about it.
http://www.sashasblend.com/?id=home

It is only available at some vets.

As Puppyluv stated, glucosamine is also another supplement that is really good for arthritis sufferers. There are others as well.
Old October 17th, 2005, 12:16 PM

OOh okay cool..

Do you get this through your vet or ? What part of ontario are you in? (if you dont mind me asking)
Old October 17th, 2005, 12:22 PM

Sasha's Blend is only available through vet offices, and even then, not all carry it.

My vet is in Toronto. If your vet doesn't carry it, I'll be glad to give you my vet's information if it is near you.
Old October 17th, 2005, 12:58 PM

Aspirin comes from a tree- is that considered homeopathic? My old lab used to get one aspirin every 2 or 3 days and it was enough for her to be active again.
Old October 17th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

The combination of Glucosamine, MSM and Chondroitin is supposed to give the best results. You can get an all in one liquid at the pharmacy.
Quote:
She is on Sasha's Blend which is a natural supplement that comes in a powder form and you just add it to their food.
Beaglemom, this stuff sounds very interesting-I just adopted a very senior dog and she seems very arthritic. Do you know if Sasha's Blend can be combined with the glucosamine? Or does it contain glucosamine? I will go check out the link right now
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old October 17th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

I just checked out their site and I am going to harass my (wonderful) vet to order me some when we take Olive for her visit. I can't wait. This stuff looks super. And it contains glucosamine and chondroitin fyi. I'm excited. Doesn't take much, huh?
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old October 17th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Helicopter Champion

We give Monty 500mg of Glucosamine with MSM and Chondroitin on a daily basis. We administer in a lemon flavoured tablet (Life brand I believe). He used to moan and groan when he'd lay down and get up as well he would be sore for days when he had a good run. After about 3 months, we don't notice him groaning any more and his recovery time after running is far less.
Old October 17th, 2005, 01:51 PM

BoxerRescueMTL, when we put Misty on it, she improved significantly within 2 days. That is not typical though, apparently it can take a couple of weeks to notice an improvement. Misty has now been on it for just over a year. I highly recommend it as it has worked for us. Misty is an extremely active dog and she loves to play, jump and chase squirrels. Before she couldn't do any of these things and she looked miserable. It hurt her to try and climb stairs so we had to carry her. I didn't want her back on Metacam for the rest of her life. I do believe though that Sasha's Blend can be used in conjuction with other pain medications, but best to check with your vet.
Old October 17th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Thanks! I hope I can get it.
BoxerRescueQuebec.com